Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times

Advertisements

Having the people at the "hip" stores dress you (might be a tad expensive) actually isn't the worst idea ever. Ashley hit the nail on the head though, please do not sag your pants, no one likes that s***.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1GTS View Post
Right now I am 22 and so the style of what may have been cool in college (maybe nice sneakers and the iconic button flannel shirt) is not as you get older.

My style is not completely bummy or horrible (I have sense of color coordination for example) but what is it that is stylish for men that could make me come across as GQ to attract women? Dressing well can be so subjective it is not one of those things you google and it is "ok step 1 do this" but if you are able to tell me especially as a woman for example "I love a guy in a cardigan with this style of pants" to give me an idea that would be helpful. Links as well would be great.

I'm the 6'0 slim figure if that makes a difference pulling off different clothes and am from NYC so with winter approaching if you know what is cool and trendy that would be nice. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Older professional women (30's/40's) preferably or women my age that are similar to me. I don't need the ten club girl but a very attractive women that could give me a glance and few looks to lead to an approach would help.
Who is asking the question?? Do you have two usernames??

Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
wrong forum, wrong approach.

find a female friend that cares for you and ask her if she would help you go shopping in exchange for buying her something. good luck.

Or buy lunch or dinner. This is what I did in my 20s, to good effect. They know me and that makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Who is asking the question?? Do you have two usernames??
Busted

Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
Just go to brand name stores and pick out stuff you like, then throw it all together with colors that match.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 AM

957 posts, read 1,059,803 times
I wear buckle jeans or shorts, north face, columbia or random concert, CO or snowboarding resort/brand shirts. I seem to do ok. I very rarely dress up, I don't even own a suit!

I think wearing stuff that fits and good colors is key. During the summer I usually wear shorts, flip flops and a tang top. I used to be rail thin and wore tons of layers since I was insecure about my body. Now I love the way I look and I try to flaunt it. Haha

I tried dressing in nice button ups and it just wasn't me, I felt awkward and uncomfortable. Not worth it!

If women don't like my style that's fine, I like being comfy =)

Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
Take a walk around the gay neighborhoods and hipster areas in your town. Notice what the guys are wearing & take note.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:50 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Just go to brand name stores and pick out stuff you like, then throw it all together with colors that match.
I think that's part of the problem, wearing clothes that look like they were thrown on.

For me, a big one is dressing appropriately for where you are, and take off your @#$%& ballcap when you're in a restaurant.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:02 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think that's part of the problem, wearing clothes that look like they were thrown on.

For me, a big one is dressing appropriately for where you are, and take off your @#$%& ballcap when you're in a restaurant.
I didn't mean it literally, lol.

For instance, it's casual Friday at the office so I have on a pair of Express Jeans, a Polo Ralph Lauren collared shirt and Adidas classics on. All the colors go together and it's casual yet not grimey.

Just find deals on designer clothes, OP. Get something that's on sale because it's going out of season. You can get stuff that's like 50% off this way. Nobody will notice unless it's some crazy female clothing designer or gay guy, neither of which you want to attract anyway.

And don't wear knockoffs!!!! Save money for authentic if you have to.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,021 times
You can't go wrong with a lot of Banana Republics clothing. They have great sweaters, jackets, cardigans, etc.

I'm always a firm believer of: Dark jeans, light shirts, or Light jeans, dark shirts.

Also, do not skimp on some good shoes/boots. Every man should have good brown shoes/boots and a brown belt, and good black shoes/boots and black belt. Certain colors ask for one or the other.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I didn't mean it literally, lol.

For instance, it's casual Friday at the office so I have on a pair of Express Jeans, a Polo Ralph Lauren collared shirt and Adidas classics on. All the colors go together and it's casual yet not grimey.

Just find deals on designer clothes, OP. Get something that's on sale because it's going out of season. You can get stuff that's like 50% off this way. Nobody will notice unless it's some crazy female clothing designer or gay guy, neither of which you want to attract anyway.
I know, but some literally do look like that's how they got dressed!!

Marshall's, Ross (well, more for women than men) are good stores to shop, if you want labels for low prices. Dressing well does not mean having to break the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty