Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I agree with you on this, but I think what he is referred to is when obese women refer to themselves as "curvy" or "having curves". There is a BIG difference.
Curvy =/= to size. You can be curvy at any weight. There are women large and small who are curvy. It has to do with silhouette. There are "obese women" who are much curvier than let's say Kate Upton, as they have a defined waist. But not all large (or small) women are curvy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Curvy =/= to size. You can be curvy at any weight. There are women large and small who are curvy. It has to do with silhouette. There are "obese women" who are much curvier than let's say Kate Upton, as they have a defined waist. But not all large (or small) women are curvy.
Thank you!

I'm sick of people thinking you have to be plump to be curvy. I'm 5'11 and 126 lbs, but at 34-25-36, I'm objectively pear shaped, which is a variation of curvy.

The false dichotomy is silly.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
I agree with you on this, but I think what he is referred to is when obese women refer to themselves as "curvy" or "having curves". There is a BIG difference.
Or when men explain it that way. What is beyond obese? Even that get put into "curvy" territory.

People need to admit they are fat. Obese, if fat is too harsh for their fragile egos. Big boned has to go. Big boned people are other than obese and the diference is very real.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Wouldnt it be better to just not shame anyone for their weight? Why are you guys okay with trying to "even the score"? That isnt cool and Jesus would tell you the same thing. But we all know that helping the obese change their unhealthy, life shortening, mortality decreasing ways in whatever way possible is a good thing though. I have no problem telling someone who is obviously obese and complains about not being able to lose weight that they are screwed up in the head for eating that bavarian creme doughnut and drinking that soda. That is different.
Ignoring the fact a bavarian creme doughnut has 400-500 calories from fat and sugar, a letal mixture, it's usually a diet soda to cut the calories. I'll never cease to wonder how a diet soda offsets the other crap one shoves in their piehole. 1000 empty calories washed down by a chemical laden drink is not good yet people do it everyday. I know several. Drink water..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Since fat shaming will never stop, I will never feel bad for anyone who is skinny-shamed.
Well there's a pretty big difference here. "Fat shaming" (which I find such a stupid term) is giving people a hard time or thinking less of them because they are obese and unhealthy.

How is giving someone a hard for not being able to control their food intake, any different than telling someone it is gross and unhealthy to smoke?

While the "skinny shaming" is more or less done by overweight people who want to justify themselves being overweight. Most skinny girls are that way from tons of exercise, a good diet, and being conscientious about what they eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Petite is about height in women's clothing, not size. A size 14 women's petite is totally possible.

There will always be skinny shaming and fat shaming. It is what it is, and society is not going to change.

Anyone who thinks skinny shaming is more prevalent that fat shaming is not being realistic. There is a reason that the weight loss industry makes so much money. fashion, magazines, movies, TV, etc... Constantly celebrate the stick thin figure.

I used to be the skinniest person I knew, and I had to get my clothes made for me because there was no double zero. Did I give one hoot about songs like " baby Got Back" or others. No. Who gives a poop? It's just a silly song.

Did a guy ever say..."Oh, I can't date her. Everyone likes big booties now. " heck no.
Did my heavier friends have dating issues.. Heck yeah.
Of course fat shaming is more prevalent. Our country is one of the fattest in the world. If our country was one of the thinnest, I doubt skinny shaming would even increase, because everyone would be thin and healthy and.... obesity wouldn't be the leading cause of preventable death in our country.

I'm not fat shaming when I say that being obese is unhealthy, disgusting, and says a lot about a person. They lack no self control and they do not care about their health, and the rest of the country often gets stuck paying for it because obesity is more prevalent in the lower classes that are unable to pay for it.

Of course, there are a few with health issues, but those are such a tiny fraction that it's hardly worth mentioning. About 1% of people that claim it's all "health issues"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
No, that's not what the "10 year old boy bodies" comment is about. Those aren't exactly "normal" women. That's about women with narrow hips and with a waist that doesn't curve in, so the "figure" looks straight up and down. And it usually refers to women who don't have curves on top, either. A woman with a shape that's more rectangular than hourglass or pear-shaped is in a small minority, not normative at all.
Yeah, the degrading 10 year old body comments are about women that are just genetically thin without curves. It's pretty sad to make fun of women like that when it's 100% evident that their "narrow hips" are a genetic issue, and in no way effects their health or is in their control.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:45 PM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Most skinny girls are that way from tons of exercise, a good diet, and being conscientious about what they eat.
Really? Where are the statistics to prove such a thing? I know tons of skinny girls who simply eat less (not good diet just strict caloric restriction) and/or exercise and those who eat crappy and/or don't exercise but naturally burn calories like crazy. When you condone fat shaming you re just limiting your criticism towards those who have the, for lack of a better word, misfortune of wearing their past/present eating habits on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Yeah, the degrading 10 year old body comments are about women that are just genetically thin without curves. It's pretty sad to make fun of women like that when it's 100% evident that their "narrow hips" are a genetic issue, and in no way effects their health or is in their control.
Interesting assumption. Sometimes those narrow hips are due to an eating disorder. Is it ok to degrade them in the same way that you are a-ok with degrading an obese or overweight woman for her eating habits? I'm not condoning either negative reaction, only wondering if you have a reason to justify one as being ok and not the other.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 PM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Curves = rolls of fat, plain and simple. If a woman's forearm is larger in circumference than my own because she is ''big boned'' - fat - she is not for me.

I don't understand the denial everyone has about it. If you are fat or obese own up to it. Everyone who can see you knows it. Big boned makes no sense. It is deflection from the word fat. My next door neighbor gets on his wife if she claims she is fat. If I can fit into a woman's pants it is over before it began.

Who is everyone? Lots of people own up to it. There are entire blogs and groups about it.

For those who don't own up to it, it may be due to the negativity associated with it. Who wants to claim a word that seems to make others think that they have a right to treat you like crap, say negative things to you, and look down on you?

Notice that the words you seem to think that they will accept describe the same body but one simply seems kinder than another and that is probably the reason that they own one and not the other. They don't deny their body just the words used to describe it.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo5 View Post
I think this is just a horrible song.

Now Nikki Manaj's Anaconda song, Id call that Skinny Shaming. The end of the song goes...

"Yeah, he love this fat ass
Yeah! This one is for my ******* with a fat ass in the ****ing club
I said, "Where my fat ass big ******* in the club?"
**** those skinny *******,
**** those skinny ******* in the club
I wanna see all the big fat ass ******* in the mother****ing club, **** you if you skinny *******. What? Yeah!"

I think there is a difference.
Yeah but that song is too hilarious to be offensive lol

Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Ignoring the fact a bavarian creme doughnut has 400-500 calories from fat and sugar, a letal mixture, it's usually a diet soda to cut the calories. I'll never cease to wonder how a diet soda offsets the other crap one shoves in their piehole. 1000 empty calories washed down by a chemical laden drink is not good yet people do it everyday. I know several. Drink water..
Oh but they can't say no to the bad foods/sugary drinks....didn't you know?

It's not THEIR fault that they are fat and can't stop eating bad foods and being inactive....it's the government's fault. The government forces them to eat and drink crap.....it's the government's fault.

Oh and their thyroid....it's their thyroid's fault too.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Oh and their thyroid....it's their thyroid's fault too.
That's not funny. I have a thyroid condition. I eat right and exercise, but I'm still heavy. Of course the medications I was on didn't help, but I've lost a lot of weight since getting off of those psych meds.

No one has a right to shame people because we don't know what's going on. A skinny person could be skinny from Grave's disease, an autoimmune disease that makes the thyroid overactive. An overactive thyroid can be just as unhealthy as an underactive thyroid. A skinny person can be skinny from a myriad of reasons, just like a fat person. A fat person might be fat from medications: antipsychotics, anti-depressants, steroids, etc. all add weight.

I'm heavy, but I'm healthy. I go to the doctors for check ups for thyroid, hormones, cholesterol, blood pressure and everything else. My doctor says everything is fine now and I hope when I go for my next check up, my thyroid is still fine. I take care of myself, I truly do. I eat a balanced diet except dairy (lactose intolerant) and I have sweets sometimes. I exercise 2-3 times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty