Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times

Advertisements

(Not sure if this should go elsewhere... but I thought maybe we can debate...)

If you're not familiar with Meghan Trainor's hit song "All About That Bass" here is the YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk.

This song is loved by everyone I work with at the library and even my dad loves this song! It is catchy and as someone who is a writer that listens to lyrics, I noticed what the lyrics might imply. I looked it up and came across an article that said this song skinny shames: Food for Thought in "All About That Bass" | Houston Press or I Am Not All About That Bass: Deconstructing The Summer’s Feel-Good, Body-Positive Hit | Trout Nation.

Quote:
Again, the message isn’t really, “I have value, even though I don’t fit the mold I’ve been told I should fit,” but, “I have value, in fact I have more value than some other women who don’t share my body type, because I’m the one a heterosexual man should be attracted to.” And I say should be, because the next few lines say exactly that:

“You know I won’t be no stick figure silicone Barbie doll/So if that’s what you’re into then go ahead and move along”

“If you’re not a heterosexual man willing to objectify me over other women, then HA HA! I am rejecting you first.”

At what point did “body positivity” become, or need to become, yet another method to police each other’s bodies? If a woman has breast implants, that somehow lowers her worth? This is just another way in which the fatcceptable movement tries to define who is and isn’t a “real” woman. Why is it that we don’t view breast implants as body modification on the same scale as piercings or tattoos? I have this crazy feeling that it has something to do with misogyny. Maybe because the primary objective of breast implants is to conform to a specific cultural standard? How is that different from piercing your septum?
My personal opinion: who cares, it's a pop song. But at the same time, I can see how this could be damaging for young girls because they're impressionable. I'm a size 14 now (petite woman... yes, I'm a bit heavy... but losing medication and thyroid weight), but when I was a teenager I was a kid's size 16 (I'm 4'10 and I used to be 98 lbs). I guess I would be considered small, so I might have felt bad... but maybe not because I've always been big chested - I would have just felt awkward. Now, it's whatever - people like what they like. I'm not sure if she wrote the lyrics as a meaning to shame, but she might have had an audience in mind. She claims she wasn't trying to shame. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
I don't know but Meghan is pretty hot.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 PM

Haha.

Well, I was surprised about her build with this song. She's not fat after all... so it might just have been a money gimmick.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
I don't know about skinny shaming, but being overweight is something unhealthy to address, not cheer on. JMO.

But it's just a silly catchy song, so I'm already taking it too seriously.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't know about skinny shaming, but being overweight is something unhealthy to address, not cheer on. JMO.

But it's just a silly catchy song, so I'm already taking it too seriously.
Yeah... but some body types are heavier than others. Even though I am overweight from health conditions (I'm healthy otherwise and yes, I do keep an eye on my conditions and general health), even before I gained a lot of weight... I still had curves. I think we should stop shaming in general and just embrace everyone. If they are healthy, why should it matter how they look?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:22 PM

4,562 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't know but Meghan is pretty hot.
No she's not.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yeah... but some body types are heavier than others. Even though I am overweight from health conditions (I'm healthy otherwise and yes, I do keep an eye on my conditions and general health), even before I gained a lot of weight... I still had curves. I think we should stop shaming in general and just embrace everyone. If they are healthy, why should it matter how they look?
True! Some people are just naturally endomorphs, like Megan herself seems to be. I'm an ectomorph, and no matter what I do, I'm always going to be clinically underweight. Its just genetic in my family. I have to be just as careful as you, because I tend to eat a lot of junk food to not end up 5'11 and 90 lbs, and it's easy to lose sight of the damage I could be doing to my health.

But that music video had a morbidly obese guy in it. That doesn't seem healthy for anyone.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I don't know if i believe in skinny shaming, but i was annoyed when i first heard the song.

A. You can consider yourself cute without saying people who are not the same type as you are ugly (or whatever her cutesy phrase was)
B. Your perception of your own attractiveness should not be wrapped up in men's perceptions of you

This song is catchy but not very empowering.

My mom (and relatives) did a lot better job of praising my own attributes without putting down anyone elses.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
She probably gets called fat a lot in the industry and this is her way of fighting back. I had to google her and she is def BIG for Hollywood but wears it well.

I hate the double standard that its a SIN to make fun of someone fat but people told me all the time back in the day "you're too skinny" or "you need to gain weight!" or "are you anorexic?"

To be honest, i think this cause me to see "fat people" as a group i WANTED to insult because it was sooo taboo but so many could do so to me no prob!

Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times
Us guys who aren't into ladies that have bodies like 10 year old boys can appreciate her & the song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty