Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times

Advertisements

Another tall gal here. I buy most of my business casual online at Old Navy. But it's frustrating when you buy the same style pant in two different colors and the fit is way different. Luckily I don't have the need for a bunch of suits or dresses anymore and I still have a few very nice Eddie Bauer pieces hanging around from a previous career.

My main complaint is shirts and sweaters. I would love to out together a few outfits with skinny jeans (so I can tuck into boots) and a long sweater or shirt. I can't find the sweaters or shirts/blouses that would come below my butt. I have found a few years past, when short dresses were in style, a few very short dresses that work for a tunic style top with skinny jeans.

And shoes, let's just not even go there. My daughter wears a 10 and is still able to find some stylish shoes and sandals. My 11 size doesn't seem to get the same selection. I am so tired of my toes hanging over the front of the sandals! And I have only been successful finding shoes online at Payless that are within my budget or at all! I like flats so that's not the problem. Although I laugh when I go into stores and find the 10+ sizes that all have 6" heels. Seriously, if you wear a size 11 shoe you do not want to add another 6"!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you have a link for that?
I was unable to find tall with them....
Until the lovely tall shop here closed, I bought tall Pendleton clothes through them. Still have some of them. I don't know if they still make them or not, but I'd love to see a link too.

I've recently bought pants and jeans online from New York and Co. I like them. The store here stocks the tall pants and jeans, so I'll be able to go look for some more.

Shoes? Well, Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack are my friends, though I find occasional buys at places like Payless shoes. When you wear a 12, options are limited!!!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Jackets and long-sleeved/Oxford shirtd are the worst. My wrists always hang out. Many places sell pants in talls, but shirts, jackets, and dresses in talls are rare. Three-quarter sleeves look so cute but hit me right at the elbow.

I'm six foot, and yes, anything under 5'9" is short. If you're short but wear tall pants, that's nice, but you don't have the problems that tall people have with pant knees being in the wrong place, dress waists that are too high, suit jackets that never fit elbow to elbow, and things like that.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:29 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
And shoes, let's just not even go there. My daughter wears a 10 and is still able to find some stylish shoes and sandals. My 11 size doesn't seem to get the same selection. I am so tired of my toes hanging over the front of the sandals! And I have only been successful finding shoes online at Payless that are within my budget or at all! I like flats so that's not the problem. Although I laugh when I go into stores and find the 10+ sizes that all have 6" heels. Seriously, if you wear a size 11 shoe you do not want to add another 6"!!!!

When I was a teenager, all the cool shoes stopped at size 8 (back home in Germany). So all I could wear was men's shoes, old people shoes or sneakers.

Now that they SLOWLY start making nicer shoes for big footers, I buy them all if I stumble across any. I have a love/hate relationship with shoe stores.

So now I have a ton of sandals that I never wear cuz the heels are too high for a tall person. And a ton of flat sandals that I hardly wear because if you are tall and wear super flat shoes it always looks like you hate your height. And I have tons of nice boots that are almost flat, but slight heel.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:04 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
When I was a teenager, all the cool shoes stopped at size 8 (back home in Germany). So all I could wear was men's shoes, old people shoes or sneakers.

Now that they SLOWLY start making nicer shoes for big footers, I buy them all if I stumble across any. I have a love/hate relationship with shoe stores.

So now I have a ton of sandals that I never wear cuz the heels are too high for a tall person. And a ton of flat sandals that I hardly wear because if you are tall and wear super flat shoes it always looks like you hate your height. And I have tons of nice boots that are almost flat, but slight heel.
Your height will make you stand out anyway. Wear the heels and enjoy them!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 AM

53 posts, read 54,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My wife has the opposite problem. She is 5ft and says most things (especially pants) are to long for her. I tell her to buy what she wants and take them to the tailor.
Have your wife do what I do. Shop in the young adults or kids sections. I do that and get great deals. I aspire to be 5' tall. I can get my clothes and shoes(size 3) for a fraction of what "normal" sized adults pay.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your height will make you stand out anyway. Wear the heels and enjoy them!
I had a first date last night with a TALL guy and thought I can finally wear some heels. Dusted them, put them on and woohoo. Met the guy and had cramps while walking. I am so not used to heels. Of course I didn't want to show him so I suffered in silence.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM

So even though I am almost undatable due to my height, a short coworker said this morning he almost hit the gate when he saw me in me in my heels walking in the parking lot. I wore them today to practise

Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Who made you the authority on height? And since when is 5'6" short? I find your comments ignorant and offensive.

I have LONG legs and a SHORT torso, so therefore require a 34" inseam. Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend?

I was simply responding to another "WEIRD, SHORT" poster (your description NOT mine) who also needs "tall" pants. So, obviously my situation is far from unique.

5 Ft 6 and 1/4 and have 33 1/2 inseam. Go usually for average but after several washings (no drying now, hubby used to throw in the dryer) even after some time, they shrink [pants] and come up higher than I prefer them to be. So, unless I don't ever wash my clothes - yuck , after a given time, I need to buy new pants. I've looked for the talls but can't really find the ones I want and mostly talls (when I do find them) seem to go for those with the thinner legs - calves up to thighs, of which I'm not - anymore.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:58 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Jackets and long-sleeved/Oxford shirtd are the worst. My wrists always hang out. Many places sell pants in talls, but shirts, jackets, and dresses in talls are rare. Three-quarter sleeves look so cute but hit me right at the elbow.

I'm six foot, and yes, anything under 5'9" is short. If you're short but wear tall pants, that's nice, but you don't have the problems that tall people have with pant knees being in the wrong place, dress waists that are too high, suit jackets that never fit elbow to elbow, and things like that.
My poor daughter is "short" at 5'8" (I am 6' 1" and her father is 6' 4", but his mother was only 5'2" so that must have stunted our kid!) and wears a 9 shoe. She is currently living in China, and she has trouble finding shoes there or clothing with long enough sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty