Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dress/skirt wearing frequency
5x a week or more 19 18.63%
A few times a week 20 19.61%
Weekly 7 6.86%
Less than weekly 29 28.43%
Never 27 26.47%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

That dress in the post above mine is one small breeze away from a Marilyn Monroe moment.

I wear dresses a few times a week when it's warm, but usually maxi dresses. I am tall and they make me look even taller, which I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Now that it's hot weather, I find skirts and dresses more comfortable and cool than pants. I don't go out in public in shorts because I am self-conscious about my varicose and spider veins (although I am in the midst of treatments to get rid of them! Yay!). So right now it's maxi dresses and long skirts. When my legs no longer look like roadmaps, I can start wearing shorter ones.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
In the summer I wear skirts almost every day.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That dress in the post above mine is one small breeze away from a Marilyn Monroe moment.

I wear dresses a few times a week when it's warm, but usually maxi dresses. I am tall and they make me look even taller, which I like.
That's what hot pants are for... something you need to have on to wear that dress

Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
During the spring and summer, I wear almost nothing but dresses and skirts. It's for purely selfish reasons, though; I can look cute and put together in seconds, but I feel so comfortable.

In fall and winter, I sometimes wear sweater dresses with tights, but I do rock leggings with boots and tunics a lot, too. I do the yoga pants thing, too, but that's usually at home or if I'm running a quick errand, not an all day thing.

I'm all about being as comfortable as possible while looking as cute as possible.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Dresses... virtually never. I have a very proportionate feminine figure but I just think most dresses look bad on me. I can't fully explain it... I just really need the break up of lines/fabrics provided by separates.

Skirts - in warm weather, I can wear them a lot. This summer I was wearing a skirt more often than not, but nothing fancy. I have some nice slightly-above-knee classic style jean skirts which go with my casual clothes, and which are extremely flattering. I agree that it is easier to find a good fit in skirts, even body-skimming styles. I have very thin lower legs and if I wear my jean skirt, I look slender. When I wear many types of pants, I need more volume in the hips/thighs (though I'm not really overweight) and then how thin I look comes down to the pant leg, and it's hard to get things right. The volume, taper, and length all has to be just right to be most flattering.
I like jean skirts a lot, too.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post
Since moving to a warm climate, I wear skirts/dresses pretty much every day. I find they are comfortable and if well fitted, are easy to move and do stuff in. For me, I also like that I can create a more feminine silhouette with a flared skirt, otherwise I am the stick. I don't understand why any female would wear shorts, they are so unflattering and frankly, quite ugly on women, I don't care how "cute" they may be. I also, for myself, don't at all understand the maxi dress trend, why would I bother working out just to drape myself in four yards of silk? To me those dresses scream "I give up!" Some people like them but they are not for me.

What is neat to me is that a dress or skirt, for the most part, are for women, so to me it makes a woman look pretty and like a lady.
WHAT? I don't know about you, but I look hot in shorts.

Oh yeah, and it gets over 100 degrees here, so I'm rocking shorts if I wanna.

That said, again, I still like my cute dresses and usually wear them, but how odd is it that you say that?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
I wear skirts and dresses most of the time in the spring and summer, and once or twice weekly in the fall and winter. I love to wear more casual attire, like a great pair of sexy jeans with a plain, white t-shirt (I'm fortunate in that I can wear that to work), but wearing skirts and dresses is particularly feminine. And I think they can lend a certain professional air that a constant wardrobe of pants doesn't.

Plus, it's simply nice to see women in something different from what the men wear. There might be some geographic/regional influence to how often women wear skirts and dresses. When we lived in the Midwest (I'm not from there originally), I rarely ever saw women of any age wearing skirts or dresses, which I couldn't understand. People there seemed to view me as an exotic creature of some kind because I did wear skirts and dresses. Here in the South, though, one sees women of all ages rocking skirts and dresses of all styles, all the time, and looking fantastic.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:10 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I wear skirts and dresses most of the time in the spring and summer, and once or twice weekly in the fall and winter. I love to wear more casual attire, like a great pair of sexy jeans with a plain, white t-shirt (I'm fortunate in that I can wear that to work), but wearing skirts and dresses is particularly feminine. And I think they can lend a certain professional air that a constant wardrobe of pants doesn't.

Plus, it's simply nice to see women in something different from what the men wear. There might be some geographic/regional influence to how often women wear skirts and dresses. When we lived in the Midwest (I'm not from there originally), I rarely ever saw women of any age wearing skirts or dresses, which I couldn't understand. People there seemed to view me as an exotic creature of some kind because I did wear skirts and dresses. Here in the South, though, one sees women of all ages rocking skirts and dresses of all styles, all the time, and looking fantastic.
I'm in Florida, so I wear sundresses a good part of the year. Lots of women/girls wear them - short ones, maxis, etc. I also like long flowy hippie skirts to wear over my bathing suit to the beach, that way I can run errands after. It all looks so pretty, yet comfortable. I too am all about look as cute as possible, while still being as comfy as possible.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
I love skirts and dresses... I wear them a few times a week.... pants if I feel like showing off my rump and sashaying around that day (yoga pants) , skirts or a dress if I'm feeling softer that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty