Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dress/skirt wearing frequency
5x a week or more 19 18.63%
A few times a week 20 19.61%
Weekly 7 6.86%
Less than weekly 29 28.43%
Never 27 26.47%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I have yet to see a woman in my area wear a dress like this ever. This needs to be worn more during the summer.
Those are more along the lines of swimsuit cover-ups. Not long enough to be practical for actual non-beach attire. Cute, though. But in most non-beach or poolside settings, they'd be better as tunics than dresses.

I wear dresses almost exclusively in the summer, as I despise shorts. But most of my sundresses are long, maxi-style. A few a shorter, but overall, I prefer the length. I'm 5'10" tall and like the long, unbroken line. I prefer dresses to skirt/top combos...I like pulling one thing on and being ready to go, and again, the unbroken line is most flattering. I'm in the Midwest, and long summer dresses are pretty typical here...they're currently pretty much the trend.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 05-18-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
Not that often. I find that dresses only look flattering on me if they look a certain way. I'm 5ft2 so most maxi long dresses are too long on me. I tend to shop in juniors still so most mid length or knee lenth dresses dont come in petite so they tend to be too long on me and thus don't fit or look as intended. Dresses that are mini dresses and look great in front in terms of fit, the way my legs look and how they fall end up being too short to cover my butt because my butt is really big. Fit and flare dresses dont look good on me for some reason-i have very wide hips and thick muscular legs with bigger shapely calves and so when I try these dresses on they tend to make me look weird-either I feel like my calves are too noticeable because the fit and flare dresses fall right below my knees or they fit weird on my hips and the way they flounce out tend to look unflattering on me. Don't even get me started on skirts-they're either too short top cover my a$$, too long, or bunch up weird around my hips since my hips are wide. Also many of the flouncy dresses and skirts dont look like me... I can't explain it but personality wise I just can't pull that look off well. I'm more of a serious edgy dresser and the fit and flare dresses and many sun dresses tend to give off a bright warm fun airy look that doesn't represent me well.

Also because Im a shorter girl with shorter legs skirts tend to cut me off in a weird way. I do decent in knee length skirtd because they tend to look like maxi skirts on me, and pencil length skirts are hit or miss depending on the fit. I look best in bodycon dresses or t-shirt dresses, if altered or petite I look nice in maxi dresses, and for a night out at the club where I want to look like a video thot I accomplish that well in a mini form fitting dress. Otherwise I don't really wear dresses that often. It's a shame because I've noticed when I do men seem to really notice and I get so many compliments from work associates and friends. But unless I feel like shelling out the cash to get a dress altered to fit me right, I just am not a fan lol.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Frequently. I like my legs and I am a bit of a girly girl.

I wear sun dresses and denim skirts frequently in the Summer. In the Winter I love my short black skirts and tights.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:09 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
In the warmer climates (35 degrees or more where I live ), I wear skirts or dresses 5x or more a week. This started several years ago when I discovered that pencil skirts really flatters my body. I'm also a fan of modest dresses with short sleeves on them. Sometimes in the winter, I'll get tired of wearing my usual work pants, and I will wear jeans to and from work, but then change into a skirt or dress for the work day. I just feel more feminine when wearing skirts with a pretty top or wearing dresses.

Two of my favorite places to shop is Anthropologie and Free People (owned by the same company). I have an eclectic style where I will shop from Anthro, Free People, BCBG or H&M and put them all together somehow. I'm currently on the hunt for some pretty maxi skirts, which is a challenge for my short height.

Also, my legs are still pasty white since it hasn't been warm enough here to get a natural tan, so I've been using those airbrush leg lotions. Works pretty good.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Love dresses. Besides feeling very feminine, I find them very comfortable.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:19 PM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
I love dresses and skirts. I'd wear them everyday if it were practical, but alas, here in the frozen tundra it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty