Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
LOL...If you saw me you would realize I in no way fit that term. I actually look more like a biker than a metro, just a well groomed one.
"Biker" or "cyclist?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 04:13 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Put it this way. If you take two perfectly identical twin women who were both hot hot hot with amazing bodies, beautiful faces, and everything else was perfectly identical except that one was super hairy everywhere including wild bushy Buckwheat hair in her private areas, and the other woman was smooth with nary a hair anyone on her body from her neck down, the overwhelming majority of men would choose the hairless woman. Only the men with hair fetish would prefer the other.
Actually, I'd prefer the one that prefers me.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Ok, this is the flip side of the question that was asked on the other thread about whether women dislike hairy men.

We are talking here about whether hair in a woman's various places, where it grows naturally, is a turn-off for men. For those that say yes, it would be nice if they would explain how they got turned off to it...... since hair is a natural thing in both sexes.... like nails.
Why is this even being asked?

If the idea of a woman sans any body hair was not held in high regard as a beauty ideal, why does the mere mention of squatch-like women with hairy legs and armpits generate so many snickers and disgusted moans by 99% of the male population?

Seriously...

It should also be noted that a full Viking beard (a la Duck Dynasty) is a "natural" look on men, yet I know very few women who groove on it. Maybe it is because the shaving of body/facial hair is a visual reinforcement that reminds humans that we are not animals.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
While the caveman did not have an option but women today do everything they can to make themselves look sexy. Then get pissed if a man stares at them or makes a comment. Hair in the right places is fine but hair in the most unlikely places is a turn off, natural or not.

If you have a beard shave it,
If you have long greasy hair wash it,
If you have hairy legs shave em... it's the norm today.
If you have hair that's consider "not normal" cut it,

If you have to ask.......???
I would shave it, cut it, wash it to try to make it as normal as possible by today's standards...
Just my 2 cents...

Why. It's gross!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
It's not uncommon to hear that the reason women should shave is for hygienic reasons.... for the removal of sweat, etc. And yet men are not any different at all.... they also sweat, etc. And yet, they are not expected to shave their pits and legs. If a few do, it's usually for some other reasons but not because they are expected to do it by our society, like women are (like you said, you do it because it feels good to you, some other men do it to get an advantage in cycling, and other such reasons) .... . Wonder why that is.... that the standard is different for the ladies?
Perhaps has to do with the clothing for women. Lots of clothes women wear these days reveal more skin than what men wear. Most wear sleeveless and shorts in the summer, which reveals about half of your body. Guys by contrast reveal maybe 25% in shorts and a T shirt. More skin exposure will automatically give you an incentive to shave.

That's how my underarm shaving started. I wanted to have the option of wearing tanks every once in a while during summer (usually while hiking or visiting the shore), but hairy underarms and flabby arms made me feel icky about it. So I just started shaving off the underarm hair and toned my arms up before exposing.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:20 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunpaws View Post
I stopped shaving my legs and underarms around 16 years ago because I no longer wanted to treat myself as if there were something wrong with my own natural body. I also wanted to stop giving in to my fear that other people would think of me as ugly if I had my body hair. Stopping shaving was a way I expressed love for and acceptance of myself.

Here is how the men in my life reacted to my body hair during the next 16 years:

(1) When I decided to stop shaving my legs and underarms, my significant other at the time with whom I had been together for a year said that he felt repulsed when he saw my underarm hair growing in. He eventually said that either I start shaving or the relationship was over.

I loved him very much and had considered him to be someone I'd want to marry, but I knew it was important to be with someone who loved me as I am, and so I broke off the relationship, while sobbing. (He now claims he never gave such an ultimatum.)

(2) The next man I dated had been notified by me, as soon as he expressed interest, that I had all my body hair so that he could back away if he felt that would be a problem, but he still wanted to be in a relationship. However, after being involved for one year, he began to worry that his relatives would look down on him if they saw that I have my leg hair and underarm hair. He began to direct some resentment toward me. For example, when we were invited to his family reunion, he told me that if I didn't wear pants to it, I'd be going alone.

I felt hurt, and he and I actually went to counseling over this issue of his reactions to my body hair. I felt it was a red flag when one person pressures another so strongly to change herself simply because he worries that other people will feel a healthy, natural part of her body is unsightly, gross, disgusting.

We were a couple then for over a decade and had a child together, whom we love dearly.

(3) A third man who was interested in a relationship with me said my body hair wouldn't bother him, and he'd never pressure me to do something I didn't want to do.

(4) A fourth man who loved me and wanted a long-term relationship said that my body hair was a "non-issue."

(5) My current significant other is very accepting and completely supportive and fine with my body hair, which he says has not impacted his sense of my being attractive at all.

As for the reactions of men who are complete strangers: I've been told (by friends) that they often stare at me from behind my back when I go swimming and their usual reaction is quiet laughter, consternation, surprise, and sometimes derision. (I actually suspect more women react negatively than men.)

I recall once in a grocery store when I was wearing a skirt, I happened to catch some man's eyes and he raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly at me. It communicated something: probably surprise and curiosity because my leg hair was visible.

I will say this as a summary of my experiences: being a woman with all her hair in the U.S. out in public requires a very strong sense of self and inner stability. I'm probably above average in self-confidence, but it was still *very* hard for me to face my inner demons (fear of rejection) and finally stop shaving. I think this fear reflects how much negative pressure society places on women to conform to the "hairless" ideal.

Once you face that fear and overcome it, wow, does it feel good. You are free.

Yes, I've made this argument many times. When people say that hair on a woman's legs and underarms isn't womanly or feminine, I say that this doesn't make sense, because *I* am a woman, and *I* grow leg hair and underarm hair, and so therefore my hair must be "woman hair."

Stereotypes and biases don't easily succumb to logic, however.

I suspect that the expectation that women be smoother, less smelly, and less obviously hairy than men is due to the interplay between culture and evolutionary "sexual selection," in which males tend to be drawn to (and thus have more children with) younger women who physically show signs of youth, fecundity, and desirability, while women tend to be drawn toward men who physically show signs of strength, virility, and desirability.

Culture has a big impact on what is considered beautiful and acceptable. I recall in Germany in the '80s that the high school boys weren't repelled at all from high school girls with body hair. Most girls in Germany then appeared to have body hair, so it was accepted as the norm.

good post!!

I use to date a natural lady, her name was maria, I called her chia maria
her hair didn't bother me at all, she looked like she should have

a minor piece in a whole picture

Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Biker" or "cyclist?"
Biker, as in the Harley type.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, that's a problem right there - if you're not willing to give some of that kind of lovin', then you're not getting any either, whether you're shaved or not!
To me it's no problem at all. My wife just told me this morning that she won't be shaving for the remainder of the cold season because she doesn't wear shorts in the winter. Doesn't bother me. She seems to think she's akin to a gorilla after two months not having shaved... she'll always look at her legs and make some comment... but naturally if she's looking at her legs like that, near enough to me to be able to comment on them, I'll be looking at her naked body not giving a damn about what little leg hair she has.

Can you imagine someone looking at a shiny white 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and complaining about pitting on the chrome of the door handle?

Yeah, I can't either.

In the same way, when my wife is naked, I don't even notice the leg hair. Even after months of not shaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
this is true,,,

I also find a correlation between very picky eaters and umm..... yeah , what you said
That would be me. Picky eater extraordinaire. I'll try anything once, but there's much that I've never had twice. Ketchup is also my best friend for foods I'm not nuts about. Thus, I say your theory has merit.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, I'd prefer the one that prefers me.
Dont know if this was a failed attempt at humor, or if you are being serious with this (you never know on the internet). But, with the scenario we are assuming that BOTH wanted you, and you had to pick one of the two.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Must... get... picture... of.. cousin... it.. out of my HEAD!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty