Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
You might as well quit while you're ahead. You're dealing with a bunch of "colorless" delusional folks.

I'm sure these are the same folks who taught their kids that it is appropriate to tell someone such as myself that while they may not like black people, i'm totally cool since I "talk and act white." Or that i'm not like other "black people."

But low and behold I am biracial and look the part to blacks, latinos and Asians.
I am not perceived as mixed (and not particularly so, I have two black parents) and hear the same stuff. We like to pretend all black people are the same and perceive anyone who is slightly black as black. No "passing."

Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not in the US. Being part black, even minutely, equals black. No one calls Obama white even though he is half. White people do not claim the biracials as white.

Who cares what "white people claim?" What matters is how multiracial people self identify.

I for one am not going to support antiquated Jim Crow laws and societal norms. I personally find them repulsive.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who cares what "white people claim?" What matters is how multiracial people self identify.

I for one am not going to support antiquated Jim Crow laws and societal norms. I personally find them repulsive.
I agree with you and ultimately respect ANYONES decision to self identify be it race, gender...whatever.

Free Country.

The one wrinkle is that unlike Europe, whom pushes racism under the rug by not tracking stuff....the US tracks this stuff and in the case of my step daughter she is hispanic enough to qualify for scholarships and other diversity oriented stuff.

It's a tough, insane mess when we have to sit here carving ourselves up into 1/8 this and 1/4 that.....

Old 10-27-2014, 08:22 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Quote:

Because which demographic reinforces the one drop rule? That's why it matters in this little discussion.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Because which demographic reinforces the one drop rule? That's why it matters in this little discussion.
My daughter would be the first to tell you that some African Americans and European Americans will BOTH try to force categories on multiracial people. She just feels it's her duty to push back and challenge them as to WHY they feel such a compulsion. Why is it so "important" that she choose "one or the other?"

It's crazy - some "white" people want to insist she's "black." And some "black" people insist she is trying to "act too white" and they ridicule her for that.

So she just makes it a point to avoid interacting with people like that as much as possible. According to her, it's not all that difficult - people with those mindsets are shrinking in number by the day.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
LOL...You think it's one demographic? Is there no end to the racism you spew?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL...You think it's one demographic? Is there no end to the racism you spew?
That's racism? Apparently some of you need to look up the definition of racism. I can see i'm dealing with a bunch of politically correct liberals, who are likely foaming at the mouth as a result of this thread.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
She's whatever she says she is.

This drag queen identifies as Black from his mother's side but has an Egyptian father so he has some of this girl's facial features. He says he got his father's nose.

No surgery but he does contour his face/nose.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shan...w=1180&bih=880

Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:

Not exactly. Much of how multiracial people identify is determined by how they are perceived by broader society.

People do not perceive Alicia Keys and Halle Berry as biracial, they are perceived as black.

As the old saying goes, you can claim to mixed as long as you want, but when the police officer is racial profiling you, they do not care whether you are 25% black, 50% black or 100% black.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly. Much of how multiracial people identify is determined by how they are perceived by broader society.

People do not perceive Alicia Keys and Halle Berry as biracial, they are perceived as black.

As the old saying goes, you can claim to mixed as long as you want, but when the police officer is racial profiling you, they do not care whether you are 25% black, 50% black or 100% black.
I get that some people will always be racist, or closed minded, or insist on categorizing others by the color of their skin.

My point is that I raised my kids to understand that though others may limit them, or restrict them, in their own minds - they can push out of those restrictions and expectations of others - expectations that are based on something as ridiculous as their skin tone or features - not their character.

In the end, it's character that counts. My kids refuse to be limited by the preconceived - and antiquated - ideas of others. It takes strength of character not to become angry or overly frustrated by the often willful ignorance of others, but in the end, it's more their problem than it is the problem of the multiracial person.

However - occasionally someone will try to MAKE IT the multiracial person's problem (see school secretary example). That's why all that "home training" comes in handy.

OH HELL NO. You may try to push my kids into a box, but believe me, they will not go gentle into that good night. The vast majority of people don't have the strength of character or the power to keep them there.

As for "the police officer profiling them," my kids are in their late twenties and early thirties and they simply haven't run into any significant issues regarding race - and certainly not racial profiling, though my son's Korean wife's parents did nearly have a heart attack when she brought him home! (They got married anyway and in fact just returned from a very pleasant vacation at her parents' house - so...things continue to improve.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty