Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ......
Younger 114 61.62%
Older 14 7.57%
I look my age 27 14.59%
Mixed 7 3.78%
I just want to see the results 7 3.78%
I like pie 16 8.65%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:34 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times

Advertisements

I think I look my age
I'm told I look a few years younger than that but I think that people are just being polite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
a skewed perception of self-image. some may be as candid to say "narcissism". with anonymity, it's also easier to make empty claims without having to prove it.

I find it hard to believe that most people on here actually look younger than they are. even so, if people have told them they look younger than they are, they were most likely being polite trying to increase their already over-inflated self-esteem. of course, this won't be true for everyone on here. but I am willing to bet the statistics aren't really what they say they are.
Fair enough.

For the person who said they don't regret quitting cigarettes, my family and I have been BEGGING my sister to quit for years now. I'm only 2 years younger than her and look at least 5 years younger than her. (based on what my very blunt family members told me). I've never touched a cigarette (or any party rec drug) in my entire life. I really believe that is the #1 aging remedy. People who smoke look years older . Plus, her voice is getting deeper which is strange. Idk, if you have any advice on how you quit smoking and how we could possibly get her to quit let me know because my family is all out of ideas. We went these routes:

1) Physical appearance- cigarettes age you, stain your teeth, etc.
2) Health- you can potentially develop lung cancer and other diseases
3) Emotional- we'd say things like, "don't you want to be around to see your son on his wedding day or graduation date?"
4) Financial- think of ALL the money you are wasting on cigarettes! That money could be spent on X, Y, and Z instead.

Anyway, sorry for being slightly off topic but I really need to get her to stop asap! Feel free to PM me with any ideas or successes that any of you had.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:55 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
What made you think I am older?
My friend who is very fit and eats well is older than you are. He looks like he's about 28 but is 35. You looked very healthy, so I guessed you were older.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:02 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I find tanning pointless. I like the pale look myself. The sun ages you big time.

I had skin cancer surgery last year and I cannot recall but a few times in my life that I ever got burned. I just have bad luck most of the time.
I guess you do. I've gotten sunburned many times in my life and haven't yet had a problem. It eventually caught up with dad. He had lesions removed from his face and neck many times when he was older.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Fair enough.

For the person who said they don't regret quitting cigarettes, my family and I have been BEGGING my sister to quit for years now. I'm only 2 years younger than her and look at least 5 years younger than her. (based on what my very blunt family members told me). I've never touched a cigarette (or any party rec drug) in my entire life. I really believe that is the #1 aging remedy. People who smoke look years older . Plus, her voice is getting deeper which is strange. Idk, if you have any advice on how you quit smoking and how we could possibly get her to quit let me know because my family is all out of ideas. We went these routes:

1) Physical appearance- cigarettes age you, stain your teeth, etc.
2) Health- you can potentially develop lung cancer and other diseases
3) Emotional- we'd say things like, "don't you want to be around to see your son on his wedding day or graduation date?"
4) Financial- think of ALL the money you are wasting on cigarettes! That money could be spent on X, Y, and Z instead.

Anyway, sorry for being slightly off topic but I really need to get her to stop asap! Feel free to PM me with any ideas or successes that any of you had.
Sorry, I do not have any advice. I never did either (EDIT: although I did try tobacco) but I heard smoking is a harder habit to kick then heroin. But then again you have smokers who don't care about their health or think they are invincible.

Here is some proof of how smoking ages you. These are twins where one smokes and the other doesn't or one smoked longer than the other.

How Smoking Ages The Face Of Identical Twins - Business Insider

I get the aging voice thing too. My last job I worked with 3 women who smoked (women in their 50s) and all 3 of their voices were severely damaged. All looked like they were in their mid-60s too.

Last edited by John13; 11-02-2014 at 06:09 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I guess you do. I've gotten sunburned many times in my life and haven't yet had a problem. It eventually caught up with dad. He had lesions removed from his face and neck many times when he was older.
I have heard it can take 20 or more years to show an effect.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have heard it can take 20 or more years to show an effect.
That is true. When my dad was young he was always in the sun - he loved being outside, hunting, fishing, landscaping, etc. and his skin was very tanned (naturally very very fair). In his 60s he started to have many, many lesions, and was always having them removed. He was also a smoker, and people do not realize this, but smoking plays a HUGE part in accelerating skin cancers from the sun. The sun itself brings out toxins in the body, and without enough antioxidants will wreak havoc on health. Smoking really destroys the antioxidants.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:39 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Sorry, I do not have any advice. I never did either (EDIT: although I did try tobacco) but I heard smoking is a harder habit to kick then heroin. But then again you have smokers who don't care about their health or think they are invincible.

Here is some proof of how smoking ages you. These are twins where one smokes and the other doesn't or one smoked longer than the other.

How Smoking Ages The Face Of Identical Twins - Business Insider

I get the aging voice thing too. My last job I worked with 3 women who smoked (women in their 50s) and all 3 of their voices were severely damaged. All looked like they were in their mid-60s too.
Interesting post- thank you!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
View my pic and tell me... LOL

Old 11-03-2014, 12:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
25 get told I look 17-18 by almost everyone. I even was scolded the other day for skipping school. My siblings look young too sis is almost 30 and gets hit on by hs guys lol But ive been stressed lately and am coming into a more "mature" look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty