Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 AM

521 posts, read 734,107 times

Advertisements

After the fashion weeks happened this year I read how many models who walk in the main shows don't get paid and instead get a clothing trade. Or maybe the top girls get around only $1,000. I also read that many models actually go in debt to walk in these shows after paying for their travel expenses. It just seems odd that these huge and wealthy designers don't pay the models. I mean I know they don't HAVE to pay since there are so many girls who will model free for the exposure. But it still seems wrong. The companies can definitely afford to pay the girls but instead let them go into debt. I just don't get that. Any ideas as to why the designers/companies don't seem to care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,279,940 times
Not all the designers involved in fashion weeks are "huge wealthy designers." Many of them are the ones who are struggling to make a name for themselves.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Not all the designers involved in fashion weeks are "huge wealthy designers." Many of them are the ones who are struggling to make a name for themselves.
I guess I understand in that case but it still seems like people should get paid to work. And do the large, successful designers pay then? Is it just the struggling new ones who don't?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM

877 posts, read 1,317,582 times
The same reason pseudo singers don't get paid for gigs at bars

Modeling is a cut throat industry very few will make it in

Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Or maybe the top girls get around only $1,000.
Out of curiosity, how much do you think they should be paid for getting their hair and makeup done, putting on couture, and walking a straight line, turning, and walking back 3 or 4 times?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Out of curiosity, how much do you think they should be paid for getting their hair and makeup done, putting on couture, and walking a straight line, turning, and walking back 3 or 4 times?
I guess it's more that they pay their travel expenses and many come from other countries so that is expensive, along with hotel rooms. And then don't even know if they will get booked. So some go home with less money than they started with. If expenses were paid I could see how the $1,000 would be okay though it seems low. Depending on the brand, I always ignorantly assumed they were paid at least couple thousand. But that is because modeling sounds so glamorous. I thought everything was booked ahead of time. Basically that the models were chosen before hand and then flown out to do the show(s) with expenses covered.
So it's pretty interesting to learn how it really works and how difficult it is.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM

With so many wannabe models living in these major fashion centers, why would the designers pay for models to travel from other parts of the world? If the models are traveling, it's by their own choosing because they hope it will further their career.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,381 times
Because everyone and their mother think they are a model. It's quite funny sometimes really.

People get paid if they are good at it. If not, they don't. Most models don't get paid because they aren't real models. They are self proclaimed instagram models who paid $37 for glamour shots at the mall and think they deserve recognition.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:36 AM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
The models can add it to their portfolio. More experience = hopefully earning some cash and getting booked.

The most I ever got was $500 per day (mostly photo shoots, not designers and seldom runways) but I didn't try that hard. It was a hobby, not a career.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 AM

Contract models (i.e. those who have a contract with specific designers) will get paid well and will likely get their travel paid for. So will models with name recognition. One of the Jenner girls (Kardashian half sibling) is making pretty good bank these days because she's got the whole pop culture recognition thing going on (if she weren't Kardashian related, I don't think she'd be walking)

Those without exclusive contracts are pretty much on their own. Their agency may try to promote them and may even cover some of their expenses if they truly think they have potential. But more often than not, the models aren't as good as they think they are, and they'll spend a long time trying to make it in an industry that chews these girls up and spits them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty