Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,085,618 times

Advertisements

I'm REALLY going to try to be brief this time! LOL! We'll see how that works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
"Might be"? How about "would be"? I'd love to see this happen. But I think we all know that it won't. When 50% of the population has below-average intelligence and is thus quite easily manipulated by the big-money media machine, they won't soon aim their heads up.
I'll give you that. Too many people who wouldn't want to rock the boat, and who wouldn't "get" it.

Quote:
And if what I read is true, many people do admire the appearances of the Kardashian girls.
They do, but after a while the Kardashain's flame will burn out and then they'll just be a scornful memory.

Quote:
I have to blame the government for the failure of our education system, but regardless of whose fault it is, something you might find interesting would be to search online for some old standardized tests. Not long ago I saw the 8th grade graduation test for a school district in West Virginia, from 1913. Check out what people actually had to know before age 15. It's almost stunning.
I'll concede that not enough people read for enjoyment as should, and the educational system has failed us. I think the main reason some of these big retail book stores failed is because brick-and-mortar stores are failing. Everyone's doing online and mail order. So much better selection that way.

Amazon has flourished because it's always been an online business, and was able to get a head start when the Internet took off.

Kindles are popular and they sell several models that are B&W and aren't suited for anything other than viewing and reading books and other text.

Quote:
You mentioned things such as painting, writing books, and recording albums. This is stuff that people dream of doing. Most people cannot afford it. I should know - I recorded the album that my wife and I recently released, all by myself on my own equipment, because I couldn't afford the amount of money it would cost to get it done at a studio. Painting? Writing a book? You have to have A LOT of free time if you're going to do these things.
No, people do that today, with or without a lot of free time. They do it because it is their passion. They either work at a dead-end or "practical" job while they pursue that dream.

Quote:
It is true that they aren't "idle" pursuits...
Writing books, painting, dance, are actual "real" work. There are people (not enough, I'll grant you) who do it for a living. They may have studied it in college (art major, music major, dance major, music school, art school, how do they work?) and they pursued it as their career.

I believe that if they were to marry some Daddy Warbucks type, that many of the women who studied music, dance, art in school will not give it all up the minute the preacher says "I do." In more likelihood, Daddy Warbucks will be funding their passion, maybe opening a gallery for them, allowing them more time to pursue their passion (that they got a degree in). They wouldn't be giving it all up in favor of gyms and spas.

It seems like you view these things (and also other passions like law, science, medicine) as something that MOST women would give up as soon as there was money to do so. I don't see any evidence of that at all.

I do think that many people (not just women) can't hack it in these fields, because there is competition, and also because all these things require skill, education, discipline to get good at. Anyone can dabble at dance or music, but to get good enough that people will want to watch or listen, that's something different. But many people have the drive and passion to do it, despite all the competition. They work hard even though they don't have to.

A lot of people work hard at something off hours, and they don't have to do that either. They've earned their money for the day, why do they work hard at some passion or past time when they get home? Why would they stop working on that passion or past time if they suddenly married Daddy Warbucks?

It gave them something, it also gave them a feeling of accomplishment, or identity, or pride. Some people are lazy and won't do something challenging like that, but many people will. Even if they were independently wealthy, they still will.

Quote:
Every one of these activities requires doing something. One is not truly idle unless one is lying on one's back, staring at the ceiling.

What I call "indulgent idleness" is when a person gets whatever he/she wants, and does things with no regard to how productive (or "idle") those things are - it's only "I wanna do this", and it gets done.
There are things that people can indulge in that are luxurious, but don't leave a person with that sense of pride and accomplishment. Some people (the lowest common denominator, the lazy, the stupid, the shallow) could happily be "busy" doing lazy, unproductive things that pass away the days, but don't mean anything. But many people, smarter, more curious, creative people, would die of boredom or depression if they couldn't DO anything.

Quote:
The "things" are largely unproductive and contribute very little of value to society. Let's face it... if in 2,000 years our society is long since extinct and then an archaeological expedition unearths an old American human settlement from 2014, and somehow miraculously finds a recorded and still playable copy of an episode of "Keeping Up With The Kardashians", or for that matter anything involving Paris Hilton or "Snooki", there will be little discussion amongst the scientists before arriving at the very obvious conclusion for why this society failed to survive.
There have always been the pop culture icons in every era. Taking out our current amusement of these silly socialites, there are a hundred Salieris for every one Mozart. But Salieri was still DOING something (and wasn't bad at it either!) in his day. Salieri was worth a thousand Kardashians, and today most of us DOING things will be Salieris, and that's okay, because we are working and accomplishing and we can be proud of ourselves at the end of the day.

Quote:
You can't equate social status with respectability.
Yes, I do. Being a famous laughing stock isn't a "status symbol."

Quote:
But the article basically backs up what I've been saying all along. It has to do with brainwashing at the hands of the big-money media machine... which is necessary for the perpetuation of their huge income streams. Absent that, people would be a lot more chill about dudes who like fat chicks.
My theory (as I gave it before, several pages ago) is that men are angry at fat women, because their fatness will increase the "supply" of fatties, and lower the individual man's chance of bagging his own thin hot chick. (He defines thin as hot.) Many men are insecure at a younger age, view women as some sort of prize, not a real person with her own dreams and ambitions, so he is worried that he's going to be shortchanged of his prize. So he gets angry.

Women fall into it because of a longstanding pressure to be BOTH accomplished AND pretty. They see a happy fat woman in a happy relationship, and they get angry because this fattie doesn't "deserve" that guy! How come she gets him and she's not starving herself, and I am starving myself? Women buy into the pressure when they're younger, but less when they get older and they realize there is more to life than starving themselves to gain the approval of a bunch of idiots who don't really care about them as people anyway.

It's more individual's insecurity, and immaturity (a significant other is a "prize" and we are "owed" one and can "earn" one by starving ourselves). The people who buy that for all of their lives are sad, pitiful people. The media (TV, magazines, online) are mostly interested in appealing to the young and stupid, and so they perpetuate the myth that being pretty and thin is all there is. But that doesn't mean that there aren't many others out there in "society" who don't care, who have ceased to be upset that Mr. Moneybags or Mr. Smart has a fat wife. Maybe they don't care anymore because they know a few people who have gained some weight. Or they are too busy learning how to quilt, or something.

There will always be those who get into a froth over it, and these are the lowest common denominator, too stupid to realize that there's more to life than having a hot thin wife (or being a hot thin wife).

Last edited by elvira310; 11-15-2014 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Yes fat is low status
Yes true like a bmw a good looking thin blonde is man jewelry
Unfortunately like exotic pets they eat you
Stick with the car much safer
Now my turn
Status troubles u yes?
Have u ever tried to pay the rent with status?

Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Yes, absurd. If you claim to like blondes, those who prefer brunettes can still understand your preference. But most people simply can't understand how you can possibly find a grossly obese woman physically attractive. I don't intend to support it at all. You don't seem to believe me, so I'm inviting you to do the research and confirm/refute my theory. My guess is that you won't even have to ask for feedback. You'll probably hear a lot of it unsolicited. Diplomatically I'll say: I find this very difficult to believe.
You made the claim, you should be the one to support it. It's not my job to prove you right. What I've witnessed in real life already indicates you're wrong. It is very revealing you are unwilling (read: "unable") to support your claim. And please, don't worry about being diplomatic. I don't hold your limited understanding of attraction against you. If you don't believe me you don't believe me. What I've witnessed is not contingent on you believing it happened or not.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Notice we don't have a term for guys who prefer blondes? Or athletic girls? Or a given ethnicity? But we have a term for men who prefer fat ones, further suggesting society's view that it is an abnormality.
Yellow fever.

jungle fever
When a non-black person is attracted sexually to black people. Originally it was used for when a white woman dates black men, but now it could refer to a white man who thinks black women are hot and wants to date them.

Zoe Saldana and Thandie Newton are hot.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM

14,225 posts, read 14,642,943 times
Some like fat bottom women. Enjoy. No need to justify your tastes nor disagree with others taste as some are trying to do. Just enjoy. Me, I do not like fat bottom women but that is my choice. De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:10 PM

7,713 posts, read 12,583,397 times
I think of those men honorably actually. Being mature and wise enough to see past the physical to someone's heart, that's the best kind of person and spouse.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:49 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,486,417 times
Quote:
You made the claim, you should be the one to support it. It's not my job to prove you right. What I've witnessed in real life already indicates you're wrong. It is very revealing you are unwilling (read: "unable") to support your claim. And please, don't worry about being diplomatic. I don't hold your limited understanding of attraction against you. If you don't believe me you don't believe me. What I've witnessed is not contingent on you believing it happened or not.
I wouldn't have a problem proving my point, but honestly, I wouldn't be caught dead with an obese woman on the beach in a bikini. Look, you have your tastes, your experience and your perspective. I and the rest of society have ours. Just keep a big stick handy to beat off all of the men steadily hitting on your wife. Good luck to ya!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I wouldn't have a problem proving my point, but...
Seriously, if you are unable to support a claim you should just say so and not make excuses as to why you can't. Or you could refrain from making unsupportable claims.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,085,618 times
Quote:
Seriously, if you are unable to support a claim you should just say so and not make excuses as to why you can't. Or you could refrain from making unsupportable claims.
There are these guys who care what "other people think" (his buddies) because some guys view women as arm candy, someone to decorate his arm, to impress his friends that he was able to bag a hottie. It's not like she has a personality or anything ...

The Mysterious Benefactor no doubt has no attraction for bigger women, and that's fine, he's definitely not alone in that. What I find strange is how guys like this cannot fathom that anyone could have a different taste. Some people will even go so far as to try to say that people who have a different taste must have something wrong with them, because their tastes don't line up with the so-called "norm" (in the minds of the people who care so much). It's either that or admit that other people's tastes don't always have to make sense to everyone else, and that's fine, because how is that important to understand other people's tastes anyway? Why be upset or bothered by it?

I'm going to make an assumption here and say that there is something wrong with someone who cares so much about what other people find attractive. This isn't some niche fetish sort of thing, big women date and get married all the time, we see couples where the woman is bigger, and somehow the couple seems happy anyway. This isn't some unheard of, rare thing. So let it go, it is what it is. It doesn't mean that there's something "wrong" with the guy. It's not necessary to be hating on the woman, she's her own person and she doesn't owe you anything, and she hasn't taken anything away from you. Life your life and stop being condemning about what other people do with theirs.

I do think more people are thinking condemning thoughts than are willing to admit it, like it's their business in the first place, and they need to get over it.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:20 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,797,171 times
I don't care what "society" claims, besides, even with this fitness craze, there still seems to be a shift for fat women being more desirable. The only secret about me dating big women, is I prefer them, I don't settle, I don't have low self-esteem, or any other bullspit. I like a chunky girl with a good head on her shoulders. You might not believe it, but even with body image issues, not too many bbws think they are bottom of the barrel, approaching them as if they should be, might get you in trouble. Everybodies not for everbody, buy anyone with an adverse opinion to my relationship based solely on what we look like is irrellevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty