Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I guess this question is tied into the whole issue of whether society looks down on larger women in general, but this thread is about society's perceptions of men who date larger women. By "larger" I mean larger than themselves. I am not dealing with the issue of large men dating large women. More so thin men who date large women.

I think society looks down on men who do this because it implies the man couldn't "do better" and it doubly implies that a larger woman doesn't deserve a man who is thinner. So both are seen kind of "at fault". I also think that society probably assumes that the man couldn't possibly be sexually attracted to his larger partner, so he must be just dating her because he's alone and has many other issues that a thinner woman couldn't overlook. I feel it's more likely for men to think this about other men but I feel maybe women could think that, too. I am not sure about female opinion on the matter. Do some women think a guy who has dated a large woman is not dateable?

I also feel there *might* be a double standard when it's the other way around. Like if a larger guy has a thin woman, both men and women cheer him on, but when a larger woman has a thin man, the man is seen as the loser and the woman is given no credit.

These are my theories. I'm not saying society is "right" for doing this, I'm just pointing out possible theories. What are your thoughts, O diverse opinionated people of city-data?
Thin men who date large women can certainly get made fun of in this society. American culture as a whole doesn't view large woman as the epitome of attractiveness. Fat/larger women tend to be shamed for their size and of course the male will be shamed as well for dating them because people will think "why is he dating such a large woman?" especially if he's not large/fat himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Fourteen year old dorks do. Mature, intelligent people don't.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Hey, there is hopefully someone for everyone. What ever turns your crank. Who is anyone to judge who anyone else loves? Love is love.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Only thing i ever wonder about is why would a person who is skinny to average size WANT to become overweight (as ive seen before). I see so many women (and some men) say "my bf/gf loves big partners so im going to fatten myself up for him/her". I just dont get that.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
Yes, obviously.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I know more couples with an overweight wife and an average husband than couples who are both big. My sisters and I have always been overweight and all of us are with guys who are in shape. My husband dated a mix of normal and big girls before we got together. My brother-in-law loves larger ladies, the bigger the better.

My husband did have one job where his coworkers kept pressuring him to cheat on me, but I didn't get the impression that it was because I was large, but rather because they were all cheating on their wives and wanted him to be misbehaving too.

I'm losing weight and my goal is to get smaller than my husband, for the first time. He's actually kind of excited about that but not because it will look better when we go places together, more of a private reason.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Imo, I think other men look down on some men that date larger women.
Not just larger women. I believe this prejudice exists against all women who fail to meet the contemporary standards of beauty for whatever reason. But I have to say it never ceases to amaze me what men who are NOT that good looking themselves, let alone well-groomed and well-dressed, think they deserve in a mate.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Not just larger women. I believe this prejudice exists against all women who fail to meet the contemporary standards of beauty for whatever reason. But I have to say it never ceases to amaze me what men who are NOT that good looking themselves, let alone well-groomed and well-dressed, think they deserve in a mate.
I think it's because society has caused men to believe that they don't need to personally look good. Hey, if Doug Heffernan can marry Carrie Spooner, then dammit they can get any supermodel they want!!!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Generally speaking yes. Society looks down on obese people as a whole so that's no surprise.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No.
As a member of society, I can confidently say that I do not care who you date.
As always, I'm proud to disagree with Pitt Chick!

Yes, people will look at the guy and wonder why he had to settle. They will assume you have no game, have low/no self esteem or have other short comings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty