Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:12 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

I get so frustrated when my clothing looks faded, pilled, or just otherwise blah-looking after just a few washings.

I use Cheer detergent specifically for bright colors, I air-dry almost everything, we have a newish front load washer. Seems like it doesn't matter if I buy something cheap or expensive---if it's laundered in the washing machine it won't look nice for long at all.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:13 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Delicate cycle on cold. Hang dry. Works every time. Although, I hate hang drying.. I run out of space.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I separate light from dark and just use regular detergent...the one for bright colors will fade dark colors faster and I don't like having to keep two kinds of soap.

I also just dry the clothes in the dryer, unless it specifically says hang to dry.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
This was recently discussed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...es-fading.html

Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
I buy new clothes.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Agree with others... and a few more things..

I don't overwash. Just because you wear something once (ex. a pair of jeans), doesn't mean you need to wash it. Wash when dirty, smelly, stained etc..

Use good detergent. I use woolite - woolite for darks (for darks) and regular woolite for lighter colors.

I wash everything in the delicate cycle. I also use a front loading washer.

I never dry anything in the dryer. I hang up everything, carefully spreading out wrinkles.

When needed, I handwash in gentle detergents.

I have a "depiller" device at home... a little electrical, hand-held "machine". Cheap. Really works.

If your clothes look bad after only a few washings, and you are doing all the things above (ESPECIALLY - do not dry clothes in a dryer), then maybe you need to upgrade the quality of things you are buying. Buy fewer items. Buy the best quality you can afford on deep discount at end of season sales. Never pay full price. Do research before you buy. Buy better quality fabrics.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Thanks for that link. Didn't see that thread when I searched. Lots of suggestions there.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Agree with others... and a few more things..

I don't overwash. Just because you wear something once (ex. a pair of jeans), doesn't mean you need to wash it. Wash when dirty, smelly, stained etc..

Use good detergent. I use woolite - woolite for darks (for darks) and regular woolite for lighter colors.

I wash everything in the delicate cycle. I also use a front loading washer.

I never dry anything in the dryer. I hang up everything, carefully spreading out wrinkles.

When needed, I handwash in gentle detergents.

I have a "depiller" device at home... a little electrical, hand-held "machine". Cheap. Really works.

If your clothes look bad after only a few washings, and you are doing all the things above (ESPECIALLY - do not dry clothes in a dryer), then maybe you need to upgrade the quality of things you are buying. Buy fewer items. Buy the best quality you can afford on deep discount at end of season sales. Never pay full price. Do research before you buy. Buy better quality fabrics.
Thanks, I'll try using Woolite. I should have given up on Cheer for Colors a long time ago. I'll also try the delicate cycle. I guess I've always assumed that cycle wouldn't get the clothes very clean, but then it's not like most of my clothes have serious stains.

Are there certain fabrics or blends that you find hold up best? I happen to have one sweater that is 100% acrylic (which sounds awful to me) but it is several years old and still looks new. It has done much better than any cotton, ramie, polyester, rayon, or any blend of those that I've ever had.

Sweaters and knit tops (kinda like T-shirt material but dressier, and so comfy) seem to be the worst for pilling. Maybe I should buy more button up cotton/poly blouses, as those tend to stay newer looking.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Wash inside out on gentle cycle and hang dry.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Wash inside out on gentle cycle and hang dry.
Ah, yes yes... I forgot to list to turn everything inside-out. It really does help and decreases pulls/pilling.

And yes, delicate cycle is good enough for us grown-ups. I also spot treat my clothes before washing so if there any small stains/spots then I will spray those spots with a spot cleaner before throwing in the wash.

I will think about fabrics... Most of my nice silk, cashmere etc.. I hand wash, hang dry, a cool iron if needed. I agree that sometimes cheaper fabrics - especially polyester - can hold up great in the regular wash, as long as you are gentle with them. Honestly, I love some of my polyester blouses that look beautiful and like silk, but are much easier to maintain.

Very thin fabrics are riskier when it comes to knits. Check seams before you buy to make sure they are even, no pulls/strings hanging, and double seams are best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty