Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times

Advertisements

Huh. Not at the beaches in South Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:32 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You can go to the beach or even the gym and see that thongs have become widely accepted.

Sexy Girls In Thongs on Pinterest | 264 Pins

Some of these thongs leave NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to the imagination. The difference between this and full on nudity is basically negligible. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but just that it is.

But why is it that the same thing when it comes to excessive cleavage becomes a major taboo? What if a female decided that she preferred to go to the gym or beach in just pasties? That would basically be the equivalent of the thong bikini bottoms, no? There would be a major outcry.

Disneyland worker ordered mom to cover up her cleavage | Daily Mail Online

Years ago I had a part time job where I had to take training from the Washington state Liquor Control board. We were told that state law had very specific requirements regarding how much breast could be exposed. They went into some detail about what was 'too much' under the law. But there was nothing in the training about the exposure of the derriere.

Why this apparent inconsistency? It seems to make no sense.

Who cares. I'm fine with thong wearing people really...

Old 11-15-2014, 04:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's an American thing
In other countries showing boobs is nothing
It's a local thing. In most of America, women are free to walk around topless any time they like. Exposing the genitals of either a man or woman is illegal under most circumstances.

However, the question was not about legality, it was about social acceptability. For obvious sanitary reasons, most restaurants will not seat a person wearing a thong. Generally, both men and women will be refused service at many businesses if they are topless. Employee handbooks specify dress codes and what sexual displays are acceptable at work, typically none.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You can go to the beach or even the gym and see that thongs have become widely accepted.

Sexy Girls In Thongs on Pinterest | 264 Pins

Some of these thongs leave NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to the imagination. The difference between this and full on nudity is basically negligible. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but just that it is.

But why is it that the same thing when it comes to excessive cleavage becomes a major taboo? What if a female decided that she preferred to go to the gym or beach in just pasties? That would basically be the equivalent of the thong bikini bottoms, no? There would be a major outcry.

Disneyland worker ordered mom to cover up her cleavage | Daily Mail Online

Years ago I had a part time job where I had to take training from the Washington state Liquor Control board. We were told that state law had very specific requirements regarding how much breast could be exposed. They went into some detail about what was 'too much' under the law. But there was nothing in the training about the exposure of the derriere.

Why this apparent inconsistency? It seems to make no sense.
Oh irony has struck again! Check out the OP's name and then what he/she is complaining about.....

Why are Americans so uptight? I'll never understand and I am one! Boobs have been popping out of clothes since Henry VIII....maybe before. They're just boobs! Everyone's got `em.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
It seems to me that this thing the OP is worried about is based only on limited examples. Disneyland is not the world.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It seems to me that this thing the OP is worried about is based only on limited examples. Disneyland is not the world.
Only 1 limited example, really. Disneyland is an exceptional environment. Its mission is to provide a wholesome environment for kids, so the staff may at times be perceived as being overly zealous in maintaining management's standard. Also, it's not exactly "public", as it's a private business, so it has the right to set its own standards and call the shots. What isn't acceptable at Disneyland doesn't reflect broader public mores.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a women wearing a thong- you just don't see many thongs on maine girls,,,not sure if they are just too modest or just too .... well-marbled and it wouldn't look just right

most maine girls are pretty modest about showing too much cleavage

Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Thong bottoms (I think you mean what they wear in Brazil) are totally unacceptable around here. I don't get out to the beach much, but when I do, I haven't noticed any particular liberalization of standards regarding swimwear...

As far as Europe goes, in many countries people nowadays actually COVER UP more then they used to...

Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Only 1 limited example, really. Disneyland is an exceptional environment. Its mission is to provide a wholesome environment for kids, so the staff may at times be perceived as being overly zealous in maintaining management's standard. Also, it's not exactly "public", as it's a private business, so it has the right to set its own standards and call the shots. What isn't acceptable at Disneyland doesn't reflect broader public mores.
Really?

"Broader public mores"?

Lady, I can tell you one thing...the vast majority of public beaches are havens for children, and wearing a thong to one (if a fit female) will excite males and bring the more daring (and probably less desirable) ones closer to you, (if an unfit female) be thought of as revolting by both sexes, and, if a male over 30 or so, mark you as clearly a weirdo. Certainly not consonant with "public mores". This is the world of normal folks, often with normal bodies marked by cellulitis, love handles, and potbellies, and certainly not Rihanna and Miley Cyrus.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Really?

"Broader public mores"?

Lady, I can tell you one thing...the vast majority of public beaches are havens for children, and wearing a thong to one (if a fit female) will excite males and bring the more daring (and probably less desirable) ones closer to you, (if an unfit female) be thought of as revolting by both sexes, and, if a male over 30 or so, mark you as clearly a weirdo. Certainly not consonant with "public mores". This is the world of normal folks, often with normal bodies marked by cellulitis, love handles, and potbellies, and certainly not Rihanna and Miley Cyrus.
Please re-read the parts of the discussion relevant to Disneyland. It sounds like you've gotten lost. The Disneyland issue has nothing to do with thongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty