Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

You can go to the beach or even the gym and see that thongs have become widely accepted.

Sexy Girls In Thongs on Pinterest | 264 Pins

Some of these thongs leave NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to the imagination. The difference between this and full on nudity is basically negligible. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but just that it is.

But why is it that the same thing when it comes to excessive cleavage becomes a major taboo? What if a female decided that she preferred to go to the gym or beach in just pasties? That would basically be the equivalent of the thong bikini bottoms, no? There would be a major outcry.

Disneyland worker ordered mom to cover up her cleavage | Daily Mail Online

Years ago I had a part time job where I had to take training from the Washington state Liquor Control board. We were told that state law had very specific requirements regarding how much breast could be exposed. They went into some detail about what was 'too much' under the law. But there was nothing in the training about the exposure of the derriere.

Why this apparent inconsistency? It seems to make no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:38 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My experience is totally opposite.

Cleavage is not a major taboo.
Thongs are not accepted, at the pool or at the gym.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You can find examples of both, but when it comes to the beach both are totally acceptable and common. We just got back from Maui but have seen the same at Alki Beach and even teens at Pine Lake in Sammamish.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:24 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why are thong bikini bottoms socially acceptable, but (pun intended) excessive cleavage is not?.
Both are acceptable. I havent seen any issue with either. Its why thong bikinis are so popular people have no problem with it. Same with triangle cut bikini tops, it looks great.

No issues with either.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
all is ok in time n place

Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I wear a thong bikini at the beach and private house pools. Never in the gym-I don't think I'd make it out alive, lol.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I don't think there's even an argument here. A lot of people wear skimpy bathing suits to the beach or pool (disagree about the gym,) but that kind of exposure wouldn't be appropriate in other venues, like an amusement park or a restaurant or a workplace.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
That's an American thing
In other countries showing boobs is nothing

Old 11-15-2014, 01:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Skimpy swimsuits on girls are OK by me. But skimpy bikinis on guys are icky, IMO. I saw a photo in some rag a few months ago showing Steven Tyler in a skimpy bikini. That pic helped me stay on my diet an extra three days

Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You can go to the beach or even the gym and see that thongs have become widely accepted.

Sexy Girls In Thongs on Pinterest | 264 Pins

Some of these thongs leave NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to the imagination. The difference between this and full on nudity is basically negligible. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but just that it is.

But why is it that the same thing when it comes to excessive cleavage becomes a major taboo? What if a female decided that she preferred to go to the gym or beach in just pasties? That would basically be the equivalent of the thong bikini bottoms, no? There would be a major outcry.

Disneyland worker ordered mom to cover up her cleavage | Daily Mail Online

Years ago I had a part time job where I had to take training from the Washington state Liquor Control board. We were told that state law had very specific requirements regarding how much breast could be exposed. They went into some detail about what was 'too much' under the law. But there was nothing in the training about the exposure of the derriere.

Why this apparent inconsistency? It seems to make no sense.
Disney is super conservative about things like that. Cleavage has been acceptable since the Victorian era, and long before. I'm not sure where you're getting this. Did you notice that most of those thong shots were of women at home, in their underwear? There weren't any that were out in public or at the beach. This issue seems to be made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty