Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies, do you like muscular men?
Yes 38 57.58%
No 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:26 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why does going to the gym for men equate to muscular

but going to the gym for women equate to just fit or not fat?

Most people are more physically attracted to fit people.

I suppose because men are more likely to lift when there and women are more likely to do just cardio.

Though everyone should do some of each, but that's not what I see. The free weights / machines are 80%+ men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I suppose because men are more likely to lift when there and women are more likely to do just cardio.

Though everyone should do some of each, but that's not what I see. The free weights / machines are 80%+ men.
Perhaps it depends on the gym.
I actually see few men that are really muscular. Usually both men and women are just going to stay in shape not gain mussel mass.

Among my co-workers it is a woman who is muscular and competes in body building.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:

I agree. When I went to the gym, I was usually one of the only women using the free weights/machines. I always did cardio and free weights/machines.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM

251 posts, read 299,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
In pretty much every thread where a man says he's not popular with women there is always somebody who suggests he start going to the gym. So I guess I'd finally ask do women really find themselves attracted to muscular men?
I remember a woman I use to work with suggested I gain muscle mass to "impress the ladies". Not every one is capable of gaining muscles like that. My body is very lean and built for speed, not WWE tryouts. Sometimes it feels like some women expect you to be like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3PjYve6b3E

Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM

248 posts, read 259,157 times
So it seems like the general consensus is that most women like a guy who's toned and athletic, but not so much the bodybuilder type...
That's good for me, I just started going to the gym and am in the process of going from super skinny to slightly muscular

Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM

837 posts, read 960,726 times
Quote:

It's a common misconception that if a woman hits the weights, she's going to bulk up and look manly. Which isn't true at all. I weight train regularly and am only lean looking on my frame. So to start getting "manly" definition, I think most females would need to be in the gym at least 5 days a week and have a near perfect diet supplemented with protein powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
So it seems like the general consensus is that most women like a guy who's toned and athletic, but not so much the bodybuilder type...
That's good for me, I just started going to the gym and am in the process of going from super skinny to slightly muscular
I would agree with you. Definitely there are women out there that like the jacked bodybuilder physique, but if you have a general understanding of the process of getting there, you'd know a guy would have to be spending significant time in the gym and significant money on extra food plus performance amps. This would be a turn off to me since I prefer to have common interest in activities that would take up so much time. Slightly muscular looks like you take care of yourself, but also have enough other things going on in your life that you're not a gym rat.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Seriously..it's crazy. I saw him in Band of Brothers the other day and he was almost unrecognizable. I think he might be even skinner in the first photo you posted. That's actually a similar figure to the guys I normally date, lol.

A lot of actors go through that. Chris Hemsworth is another example. I like his Thor body but it's borderline too muscular. Christian Bale is another actor that comes to mind who has abused his body.

I agree with your point that a lot of women don't understand what muscular really means. I think of muscular as those big guys or bodybuilders, and most men can't sustain those muscles. They have to spend so much time training. Then it turns to fat when they get lazier.

Overall, I prefer a trimmer figure. My thing is that I'm not attracted to men who are overweight or have any pudge. So I tend to go for the skinnier side.
Ok...muscle can't turn to fat. It's physiologically impossible. And bodybuilders do steroids.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
It's a common misconception that if a woman hits the weights, she's going to bulk up and look manly. Which isn't true at all. I weight train regularly and am only lean looking on my frame. So to start getting "manly" definition, I think most females would need to be in the gym at least 5 days a week and have a near perfect diet supplemented with protein powder.
Protein powder? Man, people have fallen for supplement line claims like crazy. It's about HORMONE manipulation, not protein powder.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Women are not genetically pre-dispositioned to get muscular like men, that is why the comment is made that women don't typically get "muscular" in the gym.

My gf is 5'1 and 110 lbs. I am 5'10 and 215 lbs. I have visible abs.

We do IDENTICAL workouts. Same sets, same reps, same intensity, etc. For a girl, she is very very fit, yet not overly "muscular." However, Sunday at the gym I noticed another thin girl around the same size working out, and I was amazed how much more fit/muscular my gf looked. My gf also squats about twice her bodyweight and can do pullups.

In regards to this thread topic. I have gained about 45 lbs of muscle over 3 years. Whether women here like "muscular men" it seems like many don't, yet I have gotten a TON more attention from women while being more muscular. It's blatantly obvious. I did fine being 170lbs, but being 215 turned a lot of women on HARD.

As many mentioned here, they just like fit, healthy looking normal guys.

It really depends who you ask. You ask women who lift hard and are really fit, and they typically like more muscular men. You ask a women in her 30's or 40's who doesn't lift, etc. probably isn't going to like a muscular guy (granted I've had some women in their 30's, 40's, and 50's very into my physique)

Either way, I lift hard and am muscular for me. I like it. I was 20lbs lighter when my gf and I started dating. She started lifting with it and loves it. So it is motivating for me for us to be passionate about that together and it motivates me to keep progressing. Most couples quit "caring" when they start dating if they aren't both into it.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:04 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
In pretty much every thread where a man says he's not popular with women there is always somebody who suggests he start going to the gym. So I guess I'd finally ask do women really find themselves attracted to muscular men?
Question/poll/thread topic is way too flawed. As everyone has a different definition of simply "muscular".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty