Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times

Advertisements

OK, this has been a pain for me for so long so maybe you can help.

I live in N. Arizona and Canada however I'm not in Canada much in the winter so the jacket I need should be lightweight but have some warmth for our colder days. I am trying to replace a lightly lined anorak with hood (sporty) that I bought at Eddie Bower YEARS ago.

I already have three beautiful dressy sweater jackets (which are good for AZ if it's not raining) but not for travelling due to rain, a few jean jackets. a faux fur (which I never wear) and a down filled jacket (which I only wear when going to colder climates and once in a blue moon here).

I'm mid 50's, size large, rather short and muscular and have some "junk in the trunk" so the fit is important (that's why the anorak worked).

Any suggestions on what style to get and where to look? Also, I don't want black or white.

I do like blue, purple, green, red, grey, or chocolate brown.

Pictures/links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PS it has to be comfortable enough to want to throw it on to go out shopping, to restaurants, and to walk the dog too. Maybe a "car coat" is what I mean.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 11-21-2014 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I do not live in a climate anything like N. Arizona, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but a very lightweight wool pea coat styled jacket might fit the bill. A true pea coat will probably be too heavy...I have several actual Navy-issue pea coats - perk of being married to a sailor - and I'm not talking these heavy wool monstrosities, but the much lighter-weight casual jackets with similar styling.

I have two. One is a camel-colored one that's pretty versatile, which I got as an alternative to all the black and charcoal in my wardrobe while still being neutral. The other is tomato red, for a splash of color. They are similar to these:

http://cdna.lystit.com/photos/2013/0...arge_flex.jpeg

http://www.viezine.com/vie/wp-conten...peacoat_5.jpeg

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Here's another take on the very versatile peacoat:

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/produ...rPicks&refType=

Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Sounds like LL Bean has just the thing: Winter Warmer Coat: Winter Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Comes in several jeweltone colors.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Thanks for your replies. I like the pea coats however I'm a curvy body style with a short waist so I'm not so sure the double breasted look would suit me.

Most days it's in the 60's but at night and early morning it's down right freezing!!! I am going to look around at what people are wearing a bit more - some are not even wearing coats/jackets

The LL Bean coat could work too although it might be a bit long for me. I do love the red!

PS as I read more about the LL bean one it seems that it's a full on winter coat - that would be too warm for my climate.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:37 AM

I think I need more of a spring or fall coat for our AZ light winter.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM

How about a down vest with a hoodie, and maybe something else for going out to restaurants at night?
Signature Hooded Quilted Vest: Vests | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I imagine that you could always wear a longer dark hoodie, or other sweater, underneath to give the illusion of an elongated waist.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
How about a down vest with a hoodie, and maybe something else for going out to restaurants at night?
Signature Hooded Quilted Vest: Vests | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I imagine that you could always wear a longer dark hoodie, or other sweater, underneath to give the illusion of an elongated waist.
Thanks for this, I do have a vest but usually it's my arms that get cold....call me high maintenance .

I did pop over to a good consignment store today and got 2 great jackets for $50! They seem great so far, one green, one blue, and both fit well.

We don't have much shopping in Sedona so I lucked out.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks for this, I do have a vest but usually it's my arms that get cold....call me high maintenance .

I did pop over to a good consignment store today and got 2 great jackets for $50! They seem great so far, one green, one blue, and both fit well.

We don't have much shopping in Sedona so I lucked out.
Sounds very good.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I would go with North Face, 66 Degrees North, Patagonia, Arc'Teryx, etc. I ski with a lot of their stuff and it's really well made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty