Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 AM

836 posts, read 1,029,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You can enjoy the sun but use SPF50 to protect yourself. I don't consider spending time on a tanning bed to be enjoyable - nicer to warm up in front of a fireplace in the winter.

While I'd rather not be ghost white, tanned people are starting to stand out more and more as being extreme...that's a good thing.
Agreed- I remember when 'orange' was popular amongst the celebrities: Christina Aguilera, Tara Reid, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, etc. Now it seems that the fad has died down. I rarely see really orange glowing people. Thank Goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM

16,403 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I hate it when people tan all the time.
Hating something, and making it your mission to stop it are too entirely different things. Most people rant about things they do not care for, but typically do little to make an effective and lasting change.

Tanning use to be frowned upon, and considered a sign of lower class people. This stood to reason because the wealthier class did not do manual labor which typically means working outdoors.
All it took for the sheep mentality to fall in line was a single person who the sheeple wished to imitate. Her name was Coco Chanel, and she almost single handedly caused the tanning revolution.

So if you are serious about "your mission", you should do some research on the original cause, and figure out how to get the sheeple to follow a new idol, preferably a very white one.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,925,383 times
Coming from a person that was just recently diagnosed with skin cancer (1 week ago) I will flat out say that unprotected sun exposure is NOT healthy!

I grew up at the beach in the OC (southern California) where all we did was lounge around in the sun and surf. I have had several precancerous (AK's) spots removed via liquid nitrogen (not fun) but am now having to go under the knife for actual cancer. I have yet to even have my full body check up (only had the areas that I was concerned about on my upper body looked at) so I am not looking forward to 12/18 and what he may find on the other areas that I know have been really burned in my younger days :-(

So please guys and gals do yourself a favor and PROTECT your skin. I too love being outdoors and there is nothing more that i look forward to then being out on the water or riding our tractor around our property smelling the fresh cut grass on a good ole sunny day. But from now on I will make sure I wear ample sun protection! And thank goodness I DID wear some protection on at least my face in my younger days! I couldn't imagine having to experience having multiple places on my face cut into! And thankfully my face is not leathered and wrinkled and still looks quite young....but that still doesn't mean skin cancer is not lurking around!

Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,323,418 times
I noticed most people in the USA spend way too much time in the sun , especially caucasion / white race people

they like to do events / activities that require being outdoors in the sun all day long?

when it gets hot people dont cover up, they try to get more sun, they even like to eat meals sitting out in the sun? almost like they are trying to get the maximum sun exposure?

I would rather have a picnic in the shade or indoors or under an over hang of some type, I noticed a lot of Italian type restaurants have outdoor seating & tables, they must like baking in the sun while they eat? you never see asian restaurants with outdoor tables without shade.

having a dark tan does give the look of a lower class laborer, farm worker, homeless person , etc, I noticed a lot of the lower class trailor trash types always go around without a shirt on a hot sunny day, they never cover up.

looking pale with soft skin looks much better than weather beaten over sun tanned skin, I heard women in England often have much softer younger looking skin because of the type of climate in the UK with lots of over cast mild weather.

when I meet people from places like New Mexico or Arizona that spent years in the hot dry climate, you can tell right away because they usually look "weathered" the backs of their necks also have deep wrinkles that kinds of look like a turtles neck.

Last edited by green papaya; 12-02-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,247,043 times
I'm torn about the issue. I'm all for sun protection when it comes to health and skin cancer prevention and know a few people who are in various stages; it's awful.

But some of the most vibrant, happiest and healthiest people (usually women) I've seen have significant sun damage from being active outdoors. You don't even notice that their skin is wrinkled and sun damaged; they just seem so youthful.

It's something I might let my guard down at a later time when I get older, being able to enjoy the feeling of sun on your skin without worrying. Something to look forward to in your later years. Have to be careful when you're young, though.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,526,007 times
Of course if you have a family history of skin cancer, red hair,freckles, very fair skin or any of the other risk factors then it is wise to not get burned. For the majority of Americans though, it probably isn't as crucial to avoid the sun like a vampire.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,261,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Of course if you have a family history of skin cancer, red hair,freckles, very fair skin or any of the other risk factors then it is wise to not get burned. For the majority of Americans though, it probably isn't as crucial to avoid the sun like a vampire.
Just a few years ago, a friend of mine who was 100% Portuguese (dark skin and jet black hair) died from melanoma. And just recently, another pal of 100% Native American descent (also dark skin and jet black hair) was diagnosed with it, and had to get a fairly large melanoma cut out of a leg.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,526,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Just a few years ago, a friend of mine who was 100% Portuguese (dark skin and jet black hair) died from melanoma. And just recently, another pal of 100% Native American descent (also dark skin and jet black hair) was diagnosed with it, and had to get a fairly large melanoma cut out of a leg.
So you know .0002% of the .02% of the US population who are diagnosed with melanoma annually.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:50 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
So you know .0002% of the .02% of the US population who are diagnosed with melanoma annually.
Also, more people who live up north and get less sun get melanoma - another fact, melanoma shows up on parts of the body that NEVER got sun. I personally know several people who got melanoma and almost NEVER went in the sun. There are other factors besides sun involved in melanoma.

If one has the ability to produce melanin and leads a healthy lifestyle, a little sun several days a week is healthy. Sun is healing, but it brings out toxins, so if you eat poorly, smoke or use drugs etc. you are lacking in antioxidants and too much sun will age you and cause problems.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,244,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Also, more people who live up north and get less sun get melanoma - another fact, melanoma shows up on parts of the body that NEVER got sun. I personally know several people who got melanoma and almost NEVER went in the sun. There are other factors besides sun involved in melanoma.

If one has the ability to produce melanin and leads a healthy lifestyle, a little sun several days a week is healthy. Sun is healing, but it brings out toxins, so if you eat poorly, smoke or use drugs etc. you are lacking in antioxidants and too much sun will age you and cause problems.
^ Excellent point about needing SOME SUN as UVB rays are a protective factor in skin cancer and many inflammatory conditions.

Good for my cat's arthritis too as she is laying in the sun right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty