Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM

77 posts, read 152,492 times

Advertisements

The Fashion and Beauty forum is always brimming with thread titles like "Ladies, do you like men with brown hair," or "Men, what do you think about long skirts on women." These titles are heteronormative. Do the posters not want to know what gay or bi men think of men with brown hair? Are they not looking for the opinions of lesbians or bi women on long skirts? I see no reason for the exclusionary phrasing of these thread titles.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:21 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
If they wanted to know what gay or bi men (or women) thought then maybe they would have asked them ? Seems pretty simple to me. Don't make an issue when there isn't one....

Now that being said, gay men are generally VERY trendy so they would have a lot to offer.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,782,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post
The Fashion and Beauty forum is always brimming with thread titles like "Ladies, do you like men with brown hair," or "Men, what do you think about long skirts on women." These titles are heteronormative. Do the posters not want to know what gay or bi men think of men with brown hair? Are they not looking for the opinions of lesbians or bi women on long skirts? I see no reason for the exclusionary phrasing of these thread titles.
Perhaps these are "exclusionary" b/c these are the direct opinions/desires of the OP who's posting the question?

Every single thread started by a poster is based on his/her personal inquisitiveness. That doesn't mean that they have to cater to you,to me, or to anyone else. If you don't like the "exclusionary" nature of the thread or question being asked, simply don't reply.

I agree with the other poster. There's no reason to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
You may start a new thread with your personal slant at anytime. You are most welcome.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,917 times
I think they dont ask because they dont want to try. By that I mean before internet we simply had to take a chance that the dress we wore, the way we styled our hair, the scent we wore, etc would attract someone; you simply had to put it all on and hope for the best. Now, people come here and other places to find out how to dress themselves so that they find someone without even really having to try. So a man comes here and asks "what do women like?" so all he has to do is follow those suggestions, walk into an establishment, and (hopefully) women fall all over him.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 152,492 times
I wasn't sure the reasoning for the threads soliciting hetero-only opinions. I assumed that posters specified the gender in their thread titles (ex. Men, what do you think of ladies who wear long skirts?) because they only wanted replies from those who were attracted to women. I assumed they were overlooking gay and bi people.

But what you're saying is that those posters just don't want a gay opinion. They are only looking for the opinions of the gender they are attracted to, rather than all who are attracted to their own gender.

For the record I counted up the first ten pages of threads, looking for the ones that ask specifically for opinions regarding a specific gender (ex. Men, what do you think of ladies who wear long skirts?). I found 21 threads that ask specifically for a hetero opinion. I found 4 that don't specify. I found zero that specifically ask for a gay opinion. Nobody in the Fashion and Beauty forum wants a gay opinion?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:31 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post
I wasn't sure the reasoning for the threads soliciting hetero-only opinions. I assumed that posters specified the gender in their thread titles (ex. Men, what do you think of ladies who wear long skirts?) because they only wanted replies from those who were attracted to women. I assumed they were overlooking gay and bi people.

But what you're saying is that those posters just don't want a gay opinion. They are only looking for the opinions of the gender they are attracted to, rather than all who are attracted to their own gender.

For the record I counted up the first ten pages of threads, looking for the ones that ask specifically for opinions regarding a specific gender (ex. Men, what do you think of ladies who wear long skirts?). I found 21 threads that ask specifically for a hetero opinion. I found 4 that don't specify. I found zero that specifically ask for a gay opinion. Nobody in the Fashion and Beauty forum wants a gay opinion?
No offense to persons on here but from what ive seen throughout the years CD is comprised of mostly heterosexual cisgendered persons with fairly closed minds.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:34 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I understand what you're asking, but at the same time, if an OP is a straight man looking for opinions on what style choices will appeal to women (which in itself is a misguided notion,) a gay guy's preferences aren't going to necessarily be of help to him. I don't think that people are being exclusionary out of maliciousness. There are plenty of "what kind of shoes go with these pants" threads that aren't so specifically targeted.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-04-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 02:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I understand what you're asking, but at the same time, if an OP is a straight man is looking for opinions on what style choices will appeal to women (which in itself is a misguided notion,) a gay guy's preferences aren't going to necessarily be of help to him. I don't think that people are being exclusionary out of maliciousness.

^^ This.

If I'm a straight man posting, and want to know if my my hairstyle or whatever appeals to a majority of straight women, I'm not necessarily going to care what gay men think of my hairstyle, since they're not the demographic I'm trying to attract. I don't think it has to do with an implicit desire to discount the opinions of gay men as a general rule, they're just not the targeted demographic in that particular example.

I think you're reading too much into it, OP. There are a lot more blatant things on these forums to be concerned about, really.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
No, I don't think we can stop asking for "hetero" opinions. As stated above, it has to do with demographics of the person posted. If I ask, "Do guys like long skirts on girls?" What most likely I am doing is thinking of wearing a longer skirt out and wonder if indeed guys generally like long skirts on girls because I am attempting to attract guys. I don't really care what gay/lesbians think about how I look - I am looking for a heterosexual man! I just can't imagine a man that is gay coming up to me to see if I thought what he was wearing to go out that night would attract another man that is gay. I don't know. This would even be different with people of different ages, maybe different ethnicity, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty