Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:15 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post
I wasn't sure the reasoning for the threads soliciting hetero-only opinions.
The majority of the population is heterosexual.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:19 PM

159 posts, read 200,544 times
These posts are heteros asking for hetero opinions because they are trying to attract other heteros. People are specifying that they want the opinion of the opposite sex because it's the least complicated way to ask. So if a woman asks, "men, what do you think of women with short hair?", as an example, she would technically be including gay men as well, though unintentionally. She is including someone she didn't mean to include.

A person who wants to look fashionable will ask anyone for their opinion. A person dressing or grooming to find a mate will not. I am not looking to attract a mate, so I prefer to target the opinion of someone with good taste regardless of their orientation.

If you saw this kind of gender-oriented questioning on a decorating forum, it would be more exclusionary and more troublesome.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
The Fashion and Beauty forum is always brimming with thread titles like "Ladies, do you like men with brown hair," or "Men, what do you think about long skirts on women." These titles are heteronormative. Do the posters not want to know what gay or bi men think of men with brown hair? Are they not looking for the opinions of lesbians or bi women on long skirts? I see no reason for the exclusionary phrasing of these thread titles.
Why on earth would a gay man care about how short skirts are on women? I could see lesbians caring. What would a woman care about what a gay man says about her fashion? I mean if your Michael Kors, that's one thing, but I highly doubt be's hanging around on here.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
The Fashion and Beauty forum is always brimming with thread titles like "Ladies, do you like men with brown hair," or "Men, what do you think about long skirts on women." These titles are heteronormative. Do the posters not want to know what gay or bi men think of men with brown hair? Are they not looking for the opinions of lesbians or bi women on long skirts? I see no reason for the exclusionary phrasing of these thread titles.
If you identify as male, answer as a male. If you look, act or feel feminine, just answer the question as any female would. Who would want to initiate a thread asking how women, straight or lesbian, and transgender people who identify as female feel about a subject? Answer the question or don't.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Despite what the media would have you believe, gays are only 2-4% of the population. Hence, the "heteronormative" orientation of almost everything. Put in perspective, more people (5%) had their insurance cancelled because of Obamacare than there are gays in the country.

LOL @ "cisgendered". I love that we are now at a point where someone had to invent a word for people whose gender identity and genitals are in alignment (i.e. they are normal).
Huh? I thought it was 10%? Sure feels closer to that number to me.

But yeah, OP, don't take it personally. It's a lot of stress to be "PC" 24/7. As others have said, no one is excluding anyone on purpose so jump right in! I've posted in threads under "parenting" before and I have no kids!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 AM

77 posts, read 152,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why on earth would a gay man care about how short skirts are on women? I could see lesbians caring. What would a woman care about what a gay man says about her fashion? I mean if your Michael Kors, that's one thing, but I highly doubt be's hanging around on here.
Hey I just wanted to check in. For the record, I'm not taking this personally nor do I find the thread titles malicious. I was just looking for people to be more mindful with their thread titles.

I think my initial point has gotten confused. If the thread title is "Men, what do you think of women with short skirts?" it's not excluding gay men. It's excluding lesbians.

But I get it that the poster wants opinions from the gender they are attracted to, which in 95% of people is the opposite gender.

It's the posts that read

" Ladies, Ben Roethlisberger, do you find him attractive or not?"

That I don't understand. Why specify a gender here? I think in these cases posters are just being absent minded, possibly closed minded. Again, I was just looking for people to be more mindful with their thread titles.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Mod cut: Off topic.

The bottom line is that even though homosexuals make up a tiny number in society and therefore this forum, they are certainly entitled to express their point of view on anything they want. We certainly do not need orientation specific thread topics as some form of politically correct mandate.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-05-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Quote:
That I don't understand. Why specify a gender here? I think in these cases posters are just being absent minded, possibly closed minded. Again, I was just looking for people to be more mindful with their thread titles.
The hypocrisy is strong here. Apparently too strong to for one to be self-aware of their own problems?

Get over it, it's not an issue, stop trying to make it one. Do you know for a fact that gay men do or do not share the same views on how another man is physically attractive? If not, then let's just assume that women really only care to hear the opinions of other women, and either just don't care about the opinions of gay men or they never bother to even think of it because they're still men.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-05-2014 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Hey I just wanted to check in. For the record, I'm not taking this personally nor do I find the thread titles malicious. I was just looking for people to be more mindful with their thread titles.

I think my initial point has gotten confused. If the thread title is "Men, what do you think of women with short skirts?" it's not excluding gay men. It's excluding lesbians.

But I get it that the poster wants opinions from the gender they are attracted to, which in 95% of people is the opposite gender.

It's the posts that read

" Ladies, Ben Roethlisberger, do you find him attractive or not?"

Because, again, it's who the OP is attracted to that matters.

OP probably looks like Big Ben and wants to know if women find him attractive because he likes women and wants to appeal to them. Same thing.

If you as a gay male want to weigh in, do it. I'm a woman and if I think I have something relevant to contribute, I chime in all the time when the question asks men for opinions, but I don't ask them to change their title to "people."

Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Because, again, it's who the OP is attracted to that matters.

OP probably looks like Big Ben and wants to know if women find him attractive because he likes women and wants to appeal to them. Same thing.

If you as a gay male want to weigh in, do it. I'm a woman and if I think I have something relevant to contribute, I chime in all the time when the question asks men for opinions, but I don't ask them to change their title to "people."
This is a good point on which to end the thread, which has run its course. Inappropriate posts have been deleted.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty