Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

I know, it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 12:48 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I do like the full (but groomed) eyebrow look, though. The tweezed-pencil-thin look of the 90s was the pits. Didn't partake in that one, either.

I did, they were waxed to death and i'm lucky mine grew back as much as they did. They will never be as full as they were in the 80's though

In the 80's, I had a high top fade textured out on top (i'm a black chic) and used to spray the top PINK, and wear old lady dresses with converse sneakers and fishnet stockings. My mom used to tell me I looked like a ^&%ing clown.....I sure miss those days (and i miss you too MOM )

Old 12-06-2014, 12:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I don't remember hair looking quite that fried - wow, those pix are awful! My hair was mostly long and straight through the 80s, too, except I cut it short at one point, kind of like Joan Jett.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:14 PM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
I also still prefer to see the fuller 80s eyebrows. I never really have gotten used to seeing those unnatural-position painted-on eyebrows.

Some of those hairdos look wildly messy, but most look normal for the 80s. I had a variety of them in my youth (mullet, goth-new wave, the long headbanger 'dos (sometimes wavy, sometimes straight, hair length down to my middle back at one point). I also had kind of hippie-grunge hairstyle and dressed grunge when it was considered stoner & skater style before it became considered grunge in the 90s.

I still prefer to see 80s hair styles as opposed to a lot of the boring, plain, flat, straight modern hairstyles most women have today, and the boringly plain too-short & shaved heads a lot of men have today. At least there are the "hipsters", some hippies, a few goths & even emos to add some variety to current generations of our society today.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Don't know where these pictures were taken but I swear I don't remember ANYBODY with such wild hairdos. We did have the wild perm look but nothing like these.
I agree. The big teased-out hair was popular back then, but never as wild as the looks in those pictures.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
There were a lot of those big hair styles in New York. Especially popular with Italian girls and the pop Metal crowd.

The New Wave ones were popular, too.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:36 PM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
Another hair thing that was popular on guys in the 80s was the duck tail. I had one for a very short time (as did my brother, cousin and some friends), and I now think it was a funny fad, but I saw some kids with them recently, so it looks like they're back?

Old 12-06-2014, 03:45 PM

406 posts, read 283,189 times
Not me, I had a flat top and crew cuts in the 80's.

The worst ever on guys are rats tails and mullets.....gross!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
I had a pretty good spiral perm in the 80s, but I refused the tall bangs. I just could not commit to all the hairspray required to keep that hair so high. LOL.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I did, they were waxed to death and i'm lucky mine grew back as much as they did. They will never be as full as they were in the 80's though

In the 80's, I had a high top fade textured out on top (i'm a black chic) and used to spray the top PINK, and wear old lady dresses with converse sneakers and fishnet stockings. My mom used to tell me I looked like a ^&%ing clown.....I sure miss those days (and i miss you too MOM )
I'm with you both on the 80s brows. I miss my 80s brows. They're not super thin, thank goodness, but they're surely not gonna be Brooke Shields style anymore.

I wore some pretty crazy outfits in the late 80s/early 90s. I suspect you and I could've shared clothes.

My grandmother (I miss her, so I hear you there) used to look me up and down and try her best to find something she liked. It was usually my shoes.

LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty