Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone can help me understand.

What's the point of wearing a coat that zips all the way up to your chin if you're going to zip it a quarter of the way down so that you can cover your chest/neck area with a scarf? Why not just zip up your coat/jacket? I can understand doing this with certain types of coats that leave your neck exposed, but why do it with a coat that covers you up to your chin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
It's a fashion accessory, a decoration.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Even if a coat zips all the way up, a scarf can still add extra warmth around the neck and block any cold air that gets in through the zipper.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

What's the point of wearing a coat that zips all the way up to your chin if you're going to zip it a quarter of the way down so that you can cover your chest/neck area with a scarf? Why not just zip up your coat/jacket? I can understand doing this with certain types of coats that leave your neck exposed, but why do it with a coat that covers you up to your chin?
For the same reason that women wear earrings and men wear neckties. It's not utilitarian. It's visual interest.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,138 times
Quote:

Maybe a fashion statement, maybe because they don't want to zip up their coats up to their chins, maybe because it is their coat/body and preference?

Take your pick!

Old 12-09-2014, 02:28 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:

Well, for the sake of argument, i might have been cold enough earlier for that person to wear both a fully zipped-up and a scarf, but they warmed up and so they unzipped their jacket a bit. That might be preferable to carrying a scarf around. (if you don't have somewhere to put it)

Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,647 times
There are different reasons. It can be a fashion statement. I guess some people like to show off an expensive scarf such as Burberry. Accessories can help you look "pulled together". A scarf in a flattering color can brighten up your face. This way you can wear a coat in a color that would otherwise make you look pale. One reason for me is that wool irritates my skin, so I can't have a wool coat touching my neck. Also, an open neckline with a colorful scarf would be more flattering on a well endowed woman than a zipped-up space in a single color.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I think a scarf looks nice, but I don't wear them...I have long hair, and it messes it up....gets all knotted if I have a high collar, scarf, hoodie, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty