Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times

Advertisements

I started out the year thinking there was some law that gold and silver shouldn't be worn mixed together. I've discussed this with friends and dates, and even a female friend who works at a pawn shop, and totally changed my mind: now I see that silver and gold can totally be mixed.

I'm a man and I wear matching gold Figaro neck and wrist chains, usually my favorite gold ring (+diamonds & lapis lazuli) on right hand (gold chain on wrist) and wear a white gold ring (lots of diamonds) and silver pinkie ring (w/onyx) on left hand (Fitbit on wrist). In effect the white gold looks like silver so my left hand is silver, diamonds, and onyx setting off my black watch (black Milanese band), and right hand is all gold. The whole thing seems to work although I like to change to different jewelry at times.

I found this interesting article that IMO entirely proves that silver and gold go together perfectly well, and the article shows that even taken to great lengths the two can be mixed to good advantage.

I enjoyed the article (actually it's just 25 pictures, no text) and I hope everybody will enjoy seeing the pictures too.

Mixing Gold and Silver Jewelry is Seriously Chic | StyleCaster

What are your own thoughts and preferences about mixing gold and silver jewelry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 03:25 PM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I wear a Concord Saratoga with gold and stainless band. I wear other jewelry with white and yellow gold also.

This being said. I don’t like jewelry on men. Sorry.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM

I have one Fitbit band that mixes gold tones and stainless steel to good advantage, it's a very attractive band. (I like the Milanese mesh with magnetic clasp because it is infinitely adjustable.)

I've been meaning to start a topic in the Psychology section about men wearing jewelry, why some men like it and others totally reject jewelry, and what women's opinions are about liking or disliking men wearing jewelry. I'd be perfectly happy to have that discussion in this topic if the moderators don't mind.

Anecdote: I recently dated a Vietnamese woman and one date she just out and said, "Men don't wear jewelry." I smiled and showed my hands. In her case she has not adopted western (American) culture and still holds her values from Vietnam and their Buddhist culture. It's obvious Vietnamese men do not wear jewelry, as the norm.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
I tend to wear white gold or silver because of my coloring. My skin tone lends itself to 'cool' colors, and silver falls into that, as opposed to yellow gold being a 'warm tone'.

But I can agree that yellow gold and white gold and/or silver can go together quite nicely.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,818 times
I believe in jewelry mixing. In fact, I have a bracelet with a gold, silver, and bronze band.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,038 times
The rule of thumb I’ve always gone by, is that mixed metals are appropriate if you have one piece that mixes both. I’m always wearing a gold and stainless watch, so I have it covered.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
... mixed metals are appropriate if you have one piece that mixes both. I’m always wearing a gold and stainless watch, so I have it covered.
That's it for me too! I often have transitional pieces mixed, like I swapped my Fitbit Alta HR stainless/gold tone link band in this afternoon, as a style change. It becomes another transitional piece.

I wish there were more jewelry options for Fitbit watches, but the price of the band exceeds the price of the watch, I'm sure there are other fitness enthusiasts like me who won't leave our Fitbits behind, yet I've dressed up my watch as much as I can within the bounds that I have found no real silver or gold bands available.

I most certainly do not want gold Fitbit bands, that's too much money to invest in a high tech sports watch. I want a good looking real silver band for my Alta HR.

All I see are silver toned and stainless steel.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I've never minded mixed metals in one piece...I have a sentimental attachment to some Black Hills Gold, which usually combines silver alloys and copper alloys with yellow gold to make green gold, yellow gold, and rose gold in the same piece.

I'm not a fan of jewelry on men unless it is very minimalist.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 AM

669 posts, read 583,125 times
Been wearing two-tone Seiko watches for 30 years...What is the question? Never been arrested...

Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
I'm wearing white, yellow and rose gold right now.

A lot of people mix, and a lot of pieces are 2 or 3-tone to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty