Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
I have narrower hips than average. But like the examples I spoke of above I do have a difference between my hips and waist. Which is what I was talking about.

I like the idea of a trumpet skirt though thanks.
Measurements are meaningless. Bone structure defines how curvy you appear. Torso length, hip width, fat distribution and hip bone placement are all critical things in determining how you will work. You are too obsessed with the "measurements" of these people. For example Christina Hendricks has wider hips and less "junk in the trunk." Marilyn Monroe had a small waist, wide hips and a flat butt.

If you have narrow hips it is impossible for you to have "curvy hips." You can appear to look curvier in the hips with the right clothing. But obsessing over the tape measure gets you nowhere.

My torso is super short and my hip bones are high so I do not have a smooth line between the widest part of my hips and the widest part of my thighs. That's just my build, we all have similar things that impact how we appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 04:05 PM

459 posts, read 768,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Measurements are meaningless. Bone structure defines how curvy you appear. Torso length, hip width, fat distribution and hip bone placement are all critical things in determining how you will work. You are too obsessed with the "measurements" of these people. For example Christina Hendricks has wider hips and less "junk in the trunk." Marilyn Monroe had a small waist, wide hips and a flat butt.

If you have narrow hips it is impossible for you to have "curvy hips." You can appear to look curvier in the hips with the right clothing. But obsessing over the tape measure gets you nowhere.

My torso is super short and my hip bones are high so I do not have a smooth line between the widest part of my hips and the widest part of my thighs. That's just my build, we all have similar things that impact how we appear.
They aren't narrow when I'm heavier. I just meant compared to most people who have a 10 inch difference. Christina Hendricks waist to hip is around the same difference that's why I added her in this yet she looks perfectly fine in a dress.

I don't want curvy hips I just want a look like kat dennings since our builds are similar when I'm heavier. She still manages to show definition which is just my aim. I'll show a photo to give you an idea.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-cleavage.html

i have a well balanced torso I don't have long legs or a long torso.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Thanks for this link.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Too many people fret over that which matters little.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's likely an old picture of her, and the perspective changes how her shape looks. She has more curves than that picture makes it appear. There's no way she's an inverted triangle.
She actually is. I know Sofia since she was very young and she always looked like an inverted triangle. Big on top, small at the bottom.

I don't know what it is, maybe padding or camera tricks

I don't know Christina that well but she does seem like an hourglass figure

Old 12-24-2014, 07:58 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
What's a curvy cut?

I think I know everything I need to know on how to accentuate the top half. It's just like I always take a picture with friends in jeans and I always hate how my hips and waistline look compared to everyone. Because I'll be the same weight as most of my friends yet I look like the fattest one. Just by gaining 10 lbs. I am going to try waist cynchers. See how that works. Maybe I won't look as thick then.
Don't try that crap. That will mess up your organs. Just try different clothes and wear the ones that look the best on you.

I always tried my clothes and when I found something I liked I would buy it in different colors. I'm very picky because the wrong shirt or wrong jeans can make me look awkward because I am not very tall.

Don't go by measurements. Everybody is different. Many people think I am hourglass figure but I have actually been an apple shape all my life if you go by measurements. I never really watched my weight or wore any enhancers, I just got lucky with my body. If only I had been born with young Jennifer Connely's or Jessica Alba's face but that didn't happen.

Just don't mess with those things, those things are garbage and cause a lot of damage to your body. Your future self will thank you.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Christina Hendricks is THAT small? She's only got 37-inch hips? That's tiny. I've got 36-inch hips and I look like a walking stick. I thought she was a big girl.
I think she looks big because of her bust size rather than her hips.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:39 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Are you sure it's not just about the poses Sofia Vergara and Kat Dennings have? In all the pictures you posted of them looking curvy they're cocking their hips or crossing their legs.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Don't try that crap. That will mess up your organs. Just try different clothes and wear the ones that look the best on you.

I always tried my clothes and when I found something I liked I would buy it in different colors. I'm very picky because the wrong shirt or wrong jeans can make me look awkward because I am not very tall.

Don't go by measurements. Everybody is different. Many people think I am hourglass figure but I have actually been an apple shape all my life if you go by measurements. I never really watched my weight or wore any enhancers, I just got lucky with my body. If only I had been born with young Jennifer Connely's or Jessica Alba's face but that didn't happen.

Just don't mess with those things, those things are garbage and cause a lot of damage to your body. Your future self will thank you.
How can they ruin one's body?

I just feel I'd be healthier if my bmi was in the 20's and had a healthy body image which is why I considered cynches.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Did you not understand my post?

I showed her in her bikini and then I showed her wear she looks like an hourglass in the dailymail...

Anyhow. I have the same shape as these women especially Sofia vergara. I just need advice on how they convert their shape to look more curvy at the bottom. If you don't know how I guess you can't help me.

Christina's measurements listed are a waist to hip measurement less than 10 inch difference. I just was curious how she makes her waist look so much more narrow than her hips. Again if you don't know it's alright.

Christina Hendricks | Body Measurements

It's well known her bust measurement is in most place bigger than her hips and her hips are less than 10 from her hips from most sources.

I just wish I knew how to dress compliment a figure like this. Because I'm tired of having to stay a specific weight without much wiggle room.
I see what you mean; that bikini makes her look smaller on the bottom than she really is. A lot of it has to do with finding the right cut of clothing. Also, the angle at which she was photo-d for the Daily Mail pic accentuates her waist. Having huge boobs also helps create the illusion of a small waist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty