Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:39 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times

Advertisements

I have gotten quite used to wearing a shorter pair of boots that zipper up on the inside. It's a different look for me, but got so tired of wearing black shiny dress shoes when I wanted to do something different. Bought a cheapo pair of rock and republic ones, and wear them with a suit!

Comfortable and suits my insistence on looking the same as every other corporate bozo at the office. Even though I am still, technically, also a corporate bozo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I have gotten quite used to wearing a shorter pair of boots that zipper up on the inside. It's a different look for me, but got so tired of wearing black shiny dress shoes when I wanted to do something different. Bought a cheapo pair of rock and republic ones, and wear them with a suit!

Comfortable and suits my insistence on looking the same as every other corporate bozo at the office. Even though I am still, technically, also a corporate bozo
Yea I think a part of this thought stems from the fact that we (corporate bozos lol) are forced to buy and wear a couple pairs of (quite expensive) shoes that are completely useless for most everyday affairs. I never wear my professional shoes other than at work, and when I do outdoors activities I CERTAINLY cant wear them. I think a stylish pair of boots would fill that void, however Id get a reaming for wearing nice black kneelength early 1900s boots to work lol.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'd probably get a similar reaction if I chose to wear antebellum hoop skirts to work, if it makes you feel any better.

And I don't work in a corporate setting.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'd probably get a similar reaction if I chose to wear antebellum hoop skirts to work, if it makes you feel any better.

And I don't work in a corporate setting.
Yea I get the point that youre trying to make Rasa, old fashions fall out of style. However boots still have a VERY utilitarian purpose that hoop skirts don't have. If I was out in the woods camping Id wear a pair of knee high boots in a heartbeat...

Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
In the western states, many men wear Western Boots with a suite. I know I did, for over 20 years. Boots to wear with a suit are not cheap. Can cost from about $400 a pair, to near $3,000 a pair, depending on who made them and what kind of leather is used.

I always wore Lucchese boots, and here is a link to show their boots and wore the Goatskin boots lower left corner of the page and today cost $825 to $875 per pair. Good boots like these are pure comfort, but I tried on cheap boots a few times and they were terrible to wear.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Yea I get the point that youre trying to make Rasa, old fashions fall out of style. However boots still have a VERY utilitarian purpose that hoop skirts don't have. If I was out in the woods camping Id wear a pair of knee high boots in a heartbeat...
But what is the utilitarian purpose of wearing a pair of knee-high riding boots with your business casual office attire to go to work?

There are a LOT of boots on the market for men that are completely utilitarian in terms of providing necessary protection, etc. for camping, being out in the woods, etc. You were talking about "looking classy," in your earlier post, so I didn't assume you were simply talking about utilitarian outdoor footwear used for a specific purpose.

FWIW, though, most "fashion" boots worn by women wouldn't hold up to rugged outdoor use, either. They're simply fashion, and are not particularly utilitarian, in most cases. Sometimes trends are also functional (see the current trend of LL Bean-style "duck" boots girls are wearing with tights, etc.). They're a fad right now, but are no less utilitarian for it, even if they're not being worn with utilitarian intent. Uggs are, in fact, warm, etc.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But what is the utilitarian purpose of wearing a pair of knee-high riding boots with your business casual office attire to go to work?

There are a LOT of boots on the market for men that are completely utilitarian in terms of providing necessary protection, etc. for camping, being out in the woods, etc. You were talking about "looking classy," in your earlier post, so I didn't assume you were simply talking about utilitarian outdoor footwear used for a specific purpose.

FWIW, though, most "fashion" boots worn by women wouldn't hold up to rugged outdoor use, either. They're simply fashion, and are not particularly utilitarian, in most cases. Sometimes trends are also functional (see the current trend of LL Bean-style "duck" boots girls are wearing with tights, etc.). They're a fad right now, but are no less utilitarian for it, even if they're not being worn with utilitarian intent. Uggs are, in fact, warm, etc.
A lot of the mens versions of these boots that Ive seen would still be dressy enough to suit the professional look required in the modern day office, while still holding up to weather conditions, unexpected events (like having to walk in mud) etc. IF they are well built. Ill agree that a lot of the cheaply made ones will not. However a pair of real leather boots will certainly hold up to extreme conditions. Here in Fl we get hit with sudden monsoons in the summer that will ruin a pair of dress shoes in no time if youre caught off-guard.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Well, if you've seen them available, and they suit your tastes and needs, why are you not purchasing them and wearing them?

If, for some reason, the utilitarian footwear you choose doesn't conform to your workplace dress codes, you can do what women often need to do, and bring a change of shoes. In various cities where office workers wearing business/business casual attire primarily commute, it's sometimes not feasible for people to wear work shoes for the commute, due to weather issues such as those you mention, or simply ease of navigation, in terms of women and heels, etc.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Those boots would be cool if they weren't worn by such feminine looking guys.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Pretty much every woman I know loved the man striding toward them in boots in this scene:

http://focusfeaturesmedia.com/upload...e123d/x950.jpg

Unfortunately, I could not get a pic with the boots in it.

I think I could get used to seeing cravats again, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty