Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'd say because this
http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/cheyenne/chey09.jpg
would not go over well in much of the modern world.

Ever been a senior in Aggieland, wearing such boots? In those places, we had "fish" (freshmen) to help us get those boots off.

The fish would straddle the leg with boot on that was to come off and grab around the base of the book. The senior would then put their other foot, booted or not, on the posterior of said fish and push. The combined effort usually got the boot off.

Fun stuff.....in a back country sort of way.
Your link isn’t working for me but I was an English rider (dressage, jumping, fox hunting) and I wore dress and field boots with breeches for years and years. All you need to get them off is a ten dollar boot jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I think women wearing those long boots look ridiculous as well. I always think to myself, hey, where's your horse. You ready to go riding?
Real riding boots, both dress and field, are extremely fitted to the calf, so that the ones without zippers which are a newer invention, required boot hooks to get on over breeches. I see people wearing “riding” boots now with the shafts way too big for their calves and the boots are never tall enough to look like real riding boots. Spoils the whole look for me.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I don't know but I don't think they are attractive or appropriate wearing them with a dressy outfit. They are okay for attending a horse related event or for wearing with jeans.

IMO, they certainly aren't dressy, even with silver and tooling on the leather.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I was wondering, why did these riding/pirate/knee length etc leather boots fall out of style for men but not women? We watch movies all the time that depict men in period pieces wearing these boots and they look awesome and classy in my opinion. Plus theyre still pretty practical if youre in bad weather or outdoors a lot. Texans still have their cowboy boots....

Sure we have "work boots" still but theyre just not as classy looking.

Is it just me?

No, not just you & I agree in that I prefer more formal, sophisticated or practical dress, the latter in the case of wearing boots necessary for environs... but as you'd said, riding boots for men are more from eras gone by. And, honestly, it depends upon where you live, as I haven't seen women wearing riding boots off the equestrian trail, ever.

I grew up in the UK where people wore Wellingtons (Wellies, which you'll see if you Google pics of the Glastonbury festival)... boots are more functional there, whereas in the US, I've lived in SoCal where women wear knee length or over the knee boots & it's for fashion's sake only... no need for boots anywhere in CA besides parts of the rainy north.

What I've seen to be more fashionable in recent decades is ankle boots. In fact, I'm a girl & I've only owned ankle boots for at least 25-yrs. I love the look of riding boots, but feel silly wearing them at 49.

One of my brothers wear ankle boots only, even when wearing a suit, similar to:

OP, if you like riding boots, wear them!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
From 1972 until I finally retired, and the fact I was in the west, I always wore fine dress boots. This is the make and model I always wore.

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/collins/GY1504.63

Always topped it off with this hat, with a handmade sterling silver turquoise hat band.

https://www.bootbarn.com/stetson-men...sz=48&start=58

A fine quality black suite, or dress slacks with western boot cut slacks worm outside the boots never tucked in and a suede leather western style .jacket. A big western solid silver turquoise belt buckle.

A big turquoise and sterling silver ring on my right hand and a 2 inch wide solid silver bracelet with huge turquoise stones (7 stones on) on my right wrist.

I am 6'2" tall weighing 210 pounds, with a 2 1/2 inch well trimmed beard.

I attended real estate exchange meetings around the country, with up to 2,000+ people in attendance. I was featured in Realtors magazine, and wrote for the major real estate exchangers magazine most months with my picture about 10 months a year.

That costume made me stand out and be recognized and made me a lot of money.

Here in the west farmers and ranchers wear cowboy boots for work, and dress boots for church.

A pair of fine quality boots like I wear actually cradle your foot and are more comfortable than shoes.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Cowboy boots are one thing, and very common in the western USA, no one even thinks about it.

Jack boots, on the other hand, are just a little too "sturmabteilung" for most, when men wear them. Women get away with it because it's perceived as sexy in a dominatrix kind of way.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:16 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
From 1972 until I finally retired, and the fact I was in the west, I always wore fine dress boots. This is the make and model I always wore.

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/collins/GY1504.63

Always topped it off with this hat, with a handmade sterling silver turquoise hat band.

https://www.bootbarn.com/stetson-men...sz=48&start=58

A fine quality black suite, or dress slacks with western boot cut slacks worm outside the boots never tucked in and a suede leather western style .jacket. A big western solid silver turquoise belt buckle.

A big turquoise and sterling silver ring on my right hand and a 2 inch wide solid silver bracelet with huge turquoise stones (7 stones on) on my right wrist.

I am 6'2" tall weighing 210 pounds, with a 2 1/2 inch well trimmed beard.

I attended real estate exchange meetings around the country, with up to 2,000+ people in attendance. I was featured in Realtors magazine, and wrote for the major real estate exchangers magazine most months with my picture about 10 months a year.

That costume made me stand out and be recognized and made me a lot of money.

Here in the west farmers and ranchers wear cowboy boots for work, and dress boots for church.

A pair of fine quality boots like I wear actually cradle your foot and are more comfortable than shoes.
I think it might be what area of the country you live in, whether the outfit is accepted or where people would give you strange looks if you attended a social function dressed like that. I know around here, it would look strange unless it was to attend a horse show award banquet.

Being recognized as a real estate icon is something different altogether. You are known for your outfit. (good for you for your success!)

Old 12-19-2018, 07:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
No Im not about the costume-y look at all save for one day of the year. My question was (why) did they fall out of style. If they hadn't then they wouldn't fall under the guise of costumes anyways, they would just be fashion. Of course one could argue that all clothes are costumes, its just that we view some as acceptable and others as not.
Brings to my mind the very regal attire worn in this comedy with Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman.

Kate & Leopold (2001) Official Trailer # 1 - Hugh Jackman HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJywpD2PU4

Old 12-23-2018, 05:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
My wife was putting on a pair of her "fashion boots" which women still love wearing today and I was wondering, why did these riding/pirate/knee length etc leather boots fall out of style for men but not women? We watch movies all the time that depict men in period pieces wearing these boots and they look awesome and classy in my opinion. Plus theyre still pretty practical if youre in bad weather or outdoors a lot. Texans still have their cowboy boots....

Sure we have "work boots" still but theyre just not as classy looking.

Is it just me?
Yes, it is just you.

But do you though. Who cares what other men are wearing.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
As far as riding boots, I know this one guy (another ex-enduro rider) who wears his bigass Alpinestar motocross boots as his daily beaters, on or off the bike, with jeans and whatever else, and actually manages to pull it off pretty well. He's also huge (about 7' tall and maybe 250 pounds, mostly muscle) so they kind of look like really tall high tops on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty