Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,887,170 times

Advertisements

Those look fine for an informal look. They're a bit more formal looking than the white ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,859,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
Any thoughts on these?They don't look like they would work in the winter but maybe spring/summer
I would find that drastic heel uncomfortable. But the basic style isn't so bad. Maybe another sole color. Like you said, white just gets dirty quick

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
Let's say with a sweater or long sleeved shirt...or a tee.

I currently wear hiking shoes casually but they are wearing out (and not very stylish). Thought I would try something different this time, either boots or sneakers like these. I am in my mid 30s.

thinking either something like these:

or

What shoes are you comfortable in that you think look good? Those are the shoes you should be wearing no matter what anyone else tells you.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 PM

20,222 posts, read 19,779,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Anything but all white sneakers....
This. I can't do it.

My wife also dislikes the look of an adult male wearing white sneakers with blue jeans.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,926,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
What is it about loafers that is "hard to pull off"? They're a classic shoe.
Do you think there's any different depending on the type of loafer in this regard? Do you have a link to a picture of what you think of as the classic shoe you're thinking about?

I'm curious if your thinking is the same regarding sport coats. Do you think all guys can pull of a sport coat?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
As sneakers go, I'm more a fan of the Converse Chuck Taylor/PF Flyer variety than ones that have a more contemporary athletic sole. Casual sneakers vs. sporty sneakers. I like them with jeans, and also like a loafter/moccasin type with jeans. Hiking boots if one's overall look (and disposition) is rugged/outdoorsy.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 PM

75 posts, read 88,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Those look fine for an informal look. They're a bit more formal looking than the white ones.
Thanks for the feedback. Thought they might be less formal looking or something better suited for someone in high school but again I don't really have a good eye for style.

Last edited by max8624; 01-03-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I would find that drastic heel uncomfortable. But the basic style isn't so bad. Maybe another sole color. Like you said, white just gets dirty quick
I think they only sell them with a white sole

Old 01-03-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What shoes are you comfortable in that you think look good? Those are the shoes you should be wearing no matter what anyone else tells you.
Usually what I think looks good is not comfortable and vice versa.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 PM

879 posts, read 2,331,153 times
White sneakers (especially with big soles) reminds me of Seinfeld. Nothing looks more dated, and out of place when paired with jeans.

Look into soccer (indoor and casual styles,) as well as driving shoes for a nicely styled sneaker that is not over the top, but classically cool. Adidas, Puma, Merrill, Tsubo, etc all have nicely styled sneakers that don't scream "hit me up for an afternoon b-ball pick up game."

As for boots, the first ones posted are nice. My go-to's are a pair of brown steel toe oxfords from Timberland. I also have a pair of waterproof, black 6" Timberlands for work. Their Earthkeepers range is quite nice for a more classy upscale boot.

Some suggestions

Tsubo Aratus (other colors available for most of these shoes)

Puma Drift Cat

Merrill Realm Lace

Adidas Dragon

Diadora Aviles

Timberland Earthkeepers City 6"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty