Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:14 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^The white shoes that were posted look like generic white sneakers that come from a variety of brands and in both canvas and leather. They aren't distinct. To me, "Chuck Taylors" brings to in distinct pair of shoes.

These are an example of what I think of when I think of "Chuck Taylors" (even the name rubs me the wrong way):

http://i57.tinypic.com/jp7cwz.jpg
Those are the same exact sneakers, but in black.

White Chucks have been around forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
^Those are pretty ugly, actually. If what you've pictured are the exact same as in the other picture, the height of the shoes must have been obscured by the jeans. I think I saw some low top white ones like that in Google Images that definitely look better and are what I was thinking those originally pictured here were. I definitely prefer the brown shoes they were compared to. Still, the above pictured white ones do seem to look better than the black ones.

This is the picture dubthang had posted:

Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
the CLARKS leather Chukka boots are a good choice, the white tennis shoes look so 1980's like Beverly Hills Cop style

the chukka boots are classic men's casual wear that never go out of style

Old 02-05-2015, 05:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
Chuck Taylors also come in an oxford, which is what I was thinking of.The high top looks fine but better on younger people.
There are all sorts of plimsoll/sand shoe type sneakers that look good with jeans. Hard to mess up with low top Chucks, though. The parchment white looks a bit more classic than the optic white ones pictured above.

Eddie is wearing Adidas in Beverly Hills Cop, but his outfits in that movie are classic streetwear at this point. Definitely better than dad jeans and Keens.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
No offense, but I find that white American males are the worst dressers. Horrible sense of style which always trends supremely sloppy. It's as if they expect to go "roughin it" or hiking immediately after every event they attend. Sneakers of any type look incredibly tacky and juvenile with jeans. The types of jeans and the way they're worn can intensify the pathetic nature of this sloppy look. Hiking boots are pretty damn bad too, unless you're actually going hiking in them. Hiking boots worn by a man with jeans only make him look like a grunt IMO. Anytime I see a man wearing hiking boots with jeans, I expect to see him put on a hard hat soon thereafter. Nothing makes a man look more like a wuss than jeans and sneakers IMO. Silicon valley is ground zero for this sorry look.

Develop a better sense of style. Try Born Mac boots.

Born Mac - Mink Full Grain Leather - FREE Shipping & Returns | Shoebuy.com

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1423186735

Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
No offense, but I find that white American males are the worst dressers. Horrible sense of style which always trends supremely sloppy. It's as if they expect to go "roughin it" or hiking immediately after every event they attend. Sneakers of any type look incredibly tacky and juvenile with jeans. The types of jeans and the way they're worn can intensify the pathetic nature of this sloppy look. Hiking boots are pretty damn bad too, unless you're actually going hiking in them. Hiking boots worn by a man with jeans only make him look like a grunt IMO. Anytime I see a man wearing hiking boots with jeans, I expect to see him put on a hard hat soon thereafter. Nothing makes a man look more like a wuss than jeans and sneakers IMO. Silicon valley is ground zero for this sorry look.

Develop a better sense of style. Try Born Mac boots.

Born Mac - Mink Full Grain Leather - FREE Shipping & Returns | Shoebuy.com

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1423186735
Sneakers make a man look like a wuss, but yet you link a slip on boot with elastic sides.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Sneakers of any type look incredibly tacky and juvenile with jeans.
That just silly. Shoes like the ones below with well-fitting, dark wash jeans makes for a great look for a whole lot of occasions.

Cole Haan Ridley Sport Sneaker Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
Cole Haan Vaughn Sneaker low Black/Ash Grey - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

I don't think there's anything wrong with the traditional types of Converse or Vans with jeans, either, though it's certainly a younger look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Sneakers make a man look like a wuss, but yet you link a slip on boot with elastic sides.
Those are a variant on the Chelsea boot- it's not only in style right now, but a classic type of mens shoe.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:30 AM

29,474 posts, read 14,643,964 times
These look much more stylish with jeans compared to tennis shoe / sneakers.
These two pair are not mine. First ones are Alden cap toe in color #8 shell Cordovan. Second pair are Viberg 1950s service boot on the 310 last in mocha Chromexcel.

Got these on today. White's Semi-Dress in dress Brown.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
The Aldens are nice, but there's nothing nice about the subsequent cheap models.
What's with the relaxed fitting dad jeans with the bottoms cut off? that isn't a good look.

The "heritage menswear" look is getting a bit tired, though. That is the danger of "investing" in $600 boots that are supposed to be a classic look forever. It ends up being a classic look until every 44 year old manager is wearing the same outfit. Then you just look like every other plonker.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM

29,474 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
The Aldens are nice, but there's nothing nice about the subsequent cheap models.
What's with the relaxed fitting dad jeans with the bottoms cut off? that isn't a good look.

The "heritage menswear" look is getting a bit tired, though. That is the danger of "investing" in $600 boots that are supposed to be a classic look forever. It ends up being a classic look until every 44 year old manager is wearing the same outfit. Then you just look like every other plonker.
That's funny, subsequent cheap models ? The Vibergs are every bit the boot that the Alden is , maybe more. The White's , are more of a work boot so not as refined as the Alden and Viberg. Still hand made in WA , with a lifetime warranty.
I'm with you on the jeans though, that tattered look just ruins anything that a $700 boot could give. As far as the fit, well you must be one of those "skinny" jean guys.

"heritage menswear", never heard the term but I like the style. At 46 years old I don't really care what the latest styles are for todays youth but then again I'm from MI , we aren't all that trendy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty