Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 PM

459 posts, read 768,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Here's Jayne Mansfield, who was probably corseted (though she had a small waist) and hoisted up for this role (although she was very barrell-chested).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylzPrS3WpE
She and a few other vintage beauties were known to wear corsets which is the origin of my thread.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Barbie does not just have an extremely skinny waist but an enormous bust. One site said that it would be a 39 FF bra I have also read that it may be like a 42 G bra . I am not totally sure how bra sizes go, but I think that they may be A, B, C, D, DD, E, EE, F, FF, G. Do you have any idea how large an FF or G size bra really is?

BTW, some sites say that Barbie's waist size is like an 18 inch waist. Hmmm, a bust line 21 to 24 inches larger than your waist? Without surgery? IMHO, VERY unlikely.

I believe that you may know a few women with a 22 to 23 waist but do they also have a 39 FF or 42 G bust size? That is why so many people are disagreeing with you when you keep saying that it is "common" for skinny women to have "Barbie like figures".
bands and cups are proportional. So a 28h is smaller in breast volume than a 34h. 28h is roughly the same as a 34DD. To give you an idea, someone like Kim Kardashian is probably about a 28j give or take. Someone with a 42G would have a back that is 12 inches wider than KK's and another 5 inches of cup size on KK.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
bands and cups are proportional. So a 28h is smaller in breast volume than a 34h. 28h is roughly the same as a 34DD. To give you an idea, someone like Kim Kardashian is probably about a 28j give or take. Someone with a 42G would have a back that is 12 inches wider than KK's and another 5 inches of cup size on KK.
Kim kardashian is said to be a 34D. I fit the same size in the cups so she's probably a 28H or I.

At least prepregnancy.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You are correct. I have to laugh when someone says they have 44 DD's and then tries to claim they are not over weight. If you have a 39-40 inch rib cage you certainly are. The band size is 4-5 inches bigger than your rib cage measurement. You'd think women who actually buy bras would know how this works.
Depends on where you get sized as well. "European bras" have band measurements closer to your actual ribcage measurement. This is a good idea, particularly if you are bustier, as all the support should come frkm the band. If i "add 4-5" the corresponding bra would give me no support, and i will look heavier and have less waist definition!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Depends on where you get sized as well. "European bras" have band measurements closer to your actual ribcage measurement. This is a good idea, particularly if you are bustier, as all the support should come frkm the band. If i "add 4-5" the corresponding bra would give me no support, and i will look heavier and have less waist definition!
Why will you have less waist definition?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Why will you have less waist definition?
I have a short torso. In a proper sized bra there is about 8 inches between my bust and hips. In a poorly sized bra, my bust will sit lower, which makes your waist look wider. Proper fitting bras are critical for busty women, particularly when your torso js short. You do not have much space for your waist to be visible.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I have a short torso. In a proper sized bra there is about 8 inches between my bust and hips. In a poorly sized bra, my bust will sit lower, which makes your waist look wider. Proper fitting bras are critical for busty women, particularly when your torso js short. You do not have much space for your waist to be visible.
I'm short so my waist is small but balanced proportionally. But I have experienced with bras a poor fitted bra actually pushes me up really high because my cups are too big it pushes them up but makes a lot of marks I think they are messing up my Areolas even further actually. I always thought the right fit would be less of a push up bra.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I'm short so my waist is small but balanced proportionally. But I have experienced with bras a poor fitted bra actually pushes me up really high because my cups are too big it pushes them up but makes a lot of marks I think they are messing up my Areolas even further actually. I always thought the right fit would be less of a push up bra.
Height and torso size are not related. It is about proportions. You can be tall with short legs and vice versa. I am average height, but I have the short waist/long legs combo. I am 5'4" but I need a 32" inseam is ankle length on me.

In terms of right fit and "push up" it depends on how the bra is constructed and the goal of the bra. My breasts sit pretty high on my chest. Some people's sit lower on their chest. There is a lot of variation on how things are positioned.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Nope you're actually wrong she's listed as a 34C which is 37".

Cheryl Cole Height Weight Body Statistics - Healthy Celeb

A 36" bust isn't that big it's actually average... It's only big on a slimmer figure like Cheryl's.

You don't even know what a bra size measurement means. you called her modest in the bustline when that's the equivalent to a 32D (36").
I'm going by her stated measurements online. The site you linked gives 34-23-33 as her measurements.

Her boobs aren't natural, anyway. She has implants. All three women you've given as examples of a Barbie-type figure have implants.

Cheryl Cole is famous British singer and TV personality with incredible body measurements. She wears large 34C bra size. But her big bust isn’t natural. Cheryl has breast implants.
http://www.bodymeasurements.org/cheryl-cole/

Old 01-04-2015, 11:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Uh, I'll stay out of the main part of the discussion, but regular medical-grade corseting can permanently (and possibly safely) change the body shape, at least for some probably young women, e.g., Dita von Teese and Dr. Rachel (of the The Doctors TV show). But apparently it doesn't last for others -> Corseting for permanent waist reduction « Skirting The Issue
But the fact that it sometimes works would help explain why Barbie dolls might not have been considered freakish when, with corseting a recent memory, they became popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty