Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM

459 posts, read 768,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The word thick is pretty nuanced. It can be "co-opted" like other words. But traditionally speaking a thick figure is pear or hourglass with bigger/more muscular legs and a bigger butt proportionally. Now for example, to stereotype, east Asian cultures would call someone fat if their thighs touch of they have a big butt. Even if they are a small size.

Beyonce, Bria Myles, Melissa Ford, Alicia Keys, and Serena Williams are all "thick." Iggy Azelea is not. It is all about the legs for determining thick or not.
Serena Williams is not a pear or hourglass. But I think inverted triangles can be thick too.

Iggy just seems like a wide skinny girl to me she's more hips than thighs.

Alicia keys I thought was thick but I just looked at her she has a thigh gap... Beyonce is naturally thick but she tries to be sorra skinny sometimes.

But I agree that's what I think usually of what's thick.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
No actually cultural background has to do with it this is why you are implying skinny is more ideal and assuming I want to wear a corset when I never said that.

I'm not black but culturally where I come from socially curves are celebrated. I'm skinny but that's natural not something I chose to be if I had a choice I'd be thick. But that's not the subject. A waist that small is sickening to me just because I pointed out that it isn't that special to have such a waist doesn't mean I want to be that. I was simply saying her dimensions aren't out of the norm for a skinny woman. Nothing about what's better. Maybe you should stay on topic?

Diet has to do with it most. Black Englishwomen tend to be skinnier than Black American women, because of diet. Most southerners, white or black, tend to have unhealthy diets. Part of why obesity is a huge problem in the south.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
We don't know that black Englishwomen are from the same parts of Africa as their American counterparts (ignoring the white ancestry many have). Anyway....

Barbie was meant as upper class or upper middle class. Women who wore corsets much of the time couldn't do housework. So she wasn't as a reflection of a large swath of the population, wasn't "realistic" poor.

And can we stop with the hips-too-narrow-for-children thing? While there's a vague link between hip width and ability to get pregnant, I (a man) know that pregnancy causes hormone changes that relax ligaments and therefore widen the pelvis. Additionally, even without pregnancy, the pelvis can continue to widen over the years - Surprising evidence of pelvic growth (widening) after skeletal matu... - PubMed - NCBI - so even a 30-year-old still-slim Barbie might look wider.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
We don't know that black Englishwomen are from the same parts of Africa as their American counterparts (ignoring the white ancestry many have). Anyway....

Barbie was meant as upper class or upper middle class. Women who wore corsets much of the time couldn't do housework. So she wasn't as a reflection of a large swath of the population, wasn't "realistic" poor.

And can we stop with the hips-too-narrow-for-children thing? While there's a vague link between hip width and ability to get pregnant, I (a man) know that pregnancy causes hormone changes that relax ligaments and therefore widen the pelvis. Additionally, even without pregnancy, the pelvis can continue to widen over the years - Surprising evidence of pelvic growth (widening) after skeletal matu... - PubMed - NCBI - so even a 30-year-old still-slim Barbie might look wider.
That's actually a myth.

'Childbearing hips' don't make the difference in childbirth

Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Consider what realistic? A waistline in the 22-24 range? Yes medically it's imperative for women to have small waist to have a healthier whr.

It's a very realistic goal as most slim women have it anyhow.
But a 16 inch waist is not. Barbie doesn't have a 22-24 inch waist. She has a 16 inch waist. And they weren't wearing corsets in the 1950's when she was invented.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But a 16 inch waist is not. Barbie doesn't have a 22-24 inch waist. She has a 16 inch waist. And they weren't wearing corsets in the 1950's when she was invented.
What a waist!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Most vintage beauties in those days did wear corsets though.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:45 PM

1) Some estimate it translates to an 18-inch waist. 2) Corsets have never completely disappeared (just perhaps daytime public wear with built-in corseting) and girdles were moderately pinching things in for many in the 50's. 3) Most people then were at least familiar with a corseted shape and again the doll was meant for a mix of old-fashioned and contemporary dressing. Edit: it seems that Midge actually had the same shape as Barbie, deflating the idea that Barbie was an outlier shape then.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-07-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Most vintage beauties in those days did wear corsets though.
That to me is the most controversial claim. It might be true, but for me to believe that I'd need access to images or video of them wearing shapewear (perhaps covered in dramatically pinch-waisted dresses). There are, I see, pictures of Marilyn Monroe wearing corsets. The 40's and 50's might be getting blurred with the 60's.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:49 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
I have heard people say that wide hips are attractive when evidence shows proportional hips are
Really? Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty