Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:57 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I do have to say, the Doc's wearers I grew up with were not even slightly rebellious. It was just another fashion.
So they were trying to look mainstream? You don't think there was any statement behind it. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Yeah, that was early-mid 90s style for the punk, alternative, skate scene crews.. I was going that route myself, but my fam moved across country in '95, & I got into the rave scene, so from then on it turned into jncos, adidas, jungle and house music all night long.. I did rock a pixie cut during that time for many years... Ahh, to be a kid again!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 PM

290 posts, read 366,661 times
Has anyone read that book that came out a couple years ago? "Live...Suburbia!?"

It's the ultimate collection of pictures of these looks. Basically, the bible of 80s and 90s youth culture. I know one of the girls who appeared in it. Well, women, I guess is more accurate, she is turning 41 this year.

Live...Suburbia!: Anthony Pappalardo, Max G. Morton: 9781576875803: Amazon.com: Books

You can browse it right on Amazon. The photos are great, a lot of them look like they fit right here in this thread.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
Has anyone read that book that came out a couple years ago? "Live...Suburbia!?"

It's the ultimate collection of pictures of these looks. Basically, the bible of 80s and 90s youth culture. I know one of the girls who appeared in it. Well, women, I guess is more accurate, she is turning 41 this year.

Live...Suburbia!: Anthony Pappalardo, Max G. Morton: 9781576875803: Amazon.com: Books

You can browse it right on Amazon. The photos are great, a lot of them look like they fit right here in this thread.
I don't know, this looks more like youth culture coming out of the 70s to me. In this book, I see a bunch of glam rock guys with permed hair, mullets, and people wearing Kiss makeup.

Not at all what I experienced in the early to mid 90s post-punk culture. We were all about army boots, shaved heads, and piercing backs when it was taboo. It was a mix of old punk, ska, mod, goth, with some grunge on the side.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
We have Nick Reboot on Roku (you can get it online too) and its nothing but Nickelodeon shows from the 90s. Love it! You can see the styles and even commercials. I love looking at the old "prizes" back then. A Bike was considered a GRAND PRIZE.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
The Chelsea cuts weren't as huge in the 90s. I myself did something like that, but kept my long hair on the top. Then mid 90s, full shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I didn't even know what Doc Martens were until the 2000s.
You must've left Seattle when you were really young. Definitely a thing back then. You had the heavy shoes, then everyone else who were "mainstream" had the DM sandals (with the socks).

Old 01-14-2015, 03:41 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The Chelsea cuts weren't as huge in the 90s. I myself did something like that, but kept my long hair on the top. Then mid 90s, full shave.

You must've left Seattle when you were really young. Definitely a thing back then. You had the heavy shoes, then everyone else who were "mainstream" had the DM sandals (with the socks).
I was really young when I left the Seattle area. I lived there during the start of the 90s, but not in the mid-90s. I moved to the Atlanta area in 1996. I remember some of the men sporting grunge, and alot of skateboarding culture. However, I never saw the Chelsea cut. I remember some girls sporting short-cropped hair, but most did the long hair. One thing to remember is this. I was never into the grunge, metal, and punk stuff. Alot of kids I knew(particularly in middle school) were into that stuff.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM

290 posts, read 366,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I don't know, this looks more like youth culture coming out of the 70s to me. In this book, I see a bunch of glam rock guys with permed hair, mullets, and people wearing Kiss makeup.

Not at all what I experienced in the early to mid 90s post-punk culture. We were all about army boots, shaved heads, and piercing backs when it was taboo. It was a mix of old punk, ska, mod, goth, with some grunge on the side.
There are also photographs of those counterculture styles, they are simply not included in the sample pages. The author is a skater punk in his late 30s or maybe early 40s. The styles you mention are captured in the pictures and text. The woman I know was a goth and punk rocker who is a member of the 30s-40s age generation who this book is about. Her pictures and text match your experience.

You mention the 70s, and that is correct, you are very much seeing a lot of 70s influence in those photos. The glam rock culture of that decade was a massive influence on 80s-early 90s hair metal and rock. Guns N' Roses, Poison, Whitesnake, Dokken, Motley Crue, and all the rest copied their hair and clothes from New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders, and Mark Bolan.

Quote:
"A decade before hair metal became a label, the New York Dolls made trashy art rock, Warholian noise that fused 1960s girl groups, the Caucasian R&B of British Invasion singles, Bo Diddley, and a [q word meaning LGBT] aesthetic."
Quote:
"Aren’t both the New York Dolls and the hair metal acts of the 1980s essentially glam? ... They all celebrate kitsch, dying their hair, resisting heteronormative fashion (boas!), and imitating Mick Jagger ... These bands share natural affinities, as one look at their eyeliner and one listen to their sleazy records suggest."
Quote:
"Like it or not, hair metal is the logical next step after the New York Dolls, who never had much in common with the bands they inspired."
Revisionist History, Hair Metal's Proto Punk Roots

In "suburbia," the 80s hair metal stuff was huge among the white guy 30s-40s aged audience who otherwise would not buy a book if it was just about goth, new-wave, punk, ska, mod etc. The hair metal fans resented grunge a lot, but also 90s punk revival to a lesser degree, because they feel it "killed" the hair bands. I was born in 76, and went to high school with guys who were divided between listening to rap or calling Cobain and Vedder the f-word and complaining ENDLESSLY about the new bands from Seattle who they accused of killing the metal scene. The pictures in the samples were specifically chosen to attract a broader buying audience than the author might otherwise attract. It probably didn't work, but I have met the author and read all his interviews. He has a big heart for this book and the culture of his youth. He wanted to share the experience of growing up and coming of age in the 80s or 90s with as big of an audience as he coudl get. I am unsure whether he's succeeded at that but it's an awesome effort regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty