Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
You must shower more than once per day 11 3.87%
You must shower at least once per day 156 54.93%
You must shower at least once per 2 days 83 29.23%
You must shower once per 3 days or more 34 11.97%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

Well, I don't know what to tell you, Adi, nor do I know how reliable your source is, but I WAS THERE and it was the hottest week in fifty-years of Israeli history.

We (my family and I) happened to be camping in a $1,000+ KELTY expedition tent during that week, and the tent that survived Everest - melted under the Jerusalem sun!

Do you really want to argue about this? I don't see the point. We clocked 130 degrees in the shade and 140 degrees out in the open. I was there. It happened, and that's all I know.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about showering?

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:28 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Tell me that after a day in 140-degree HUMID heat.

Mahrie.
I start melting over 90 degrees... id feel like a rotisserie chicken in those temps...

yeah, on those super hot days id want to be swimming

Old 02-28-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I start melting over 90 degrees... id feel like a rotisserie chicken in those temps...

yeah, on those super hot days id want to be swimming

It's hot!

The only place to swim, however, was in the Mediterranean, and stripping off Western-style is frowned upon by the natives, so we all took lots of cold showers and the kids loved to play in the many fountains.

Generally speaking, one doesn't eat during the day, but one does require to drink gallons of water!

I used to dilute a liter of mango juice in water to keep me going during the day and the rest of the family picked their own favorite juices to dilute. In the evening, after sundown, we'd have a little humus and flat bread, usually, with maybe a handful of dates or figs. I lost a lot of weight during the time we spent there, as eating isn't appealing to me in hot climates.

India is just as hot and twice as humid (unless you're in the mountain regions, where it's a different story), so lots to drink and very little in the way of solids was most agreeable to my digestive system. It's much the same in Thailand, Laos, and Sri Lanka.

It's amazing what the human body can acclimatize to.

Just as we were in Jerusalem for its hottest summer, so we were in Yukon Territory for its coldest winter in 50+ years (minus 50 degrees Celsius for over a month), and when we first arrived there (in November) and opened the U-Haul door, I said to my husband, "Oh, you're joking!" It was forty below and I wanted to turn around tout de suite - and never look back! A couple of weeks later, however, I was walking out to the woodpile in bare feet to grab an armful of logs for the wood stove. We adapt. We don't think we can at first but it's surprising how quickly we do.

Thanks for this. Despite the shocking realities of temperature variances, this thread has brought back some wonderfully warm memories to me.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:22 AM

16 posts, read 14,587 times
I used to live in Portland Oregon where there is constant moisture....for the most part I showered every day. Then I got married and moved to SoCal, Inland Empire region. Very dry atmosphere and my skin and hair were suffering. I switched to showering every other day and both my skin and hair have benefited. On the 'off' days I use wipes...very easy. Benefit: on the off days it only takes me 15 minutes to get ready and out the door; for a fifty-something female that's saying a lot!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Grace View Post
I used to live in Portland Oregon where there is constant moisture....for the most part I showered every day. Then I got married and moved to SoCal, Inland Empire region. Very dry atmosphere and my skin and hair were suffering. I switched to showering every other day and both my skin and hair have benefited. On the 'off' days I use wipes...very easy. Benefit: on the off days it only takes me 15 minutes to get ready and out the door; for a fifty-something female that's saying a lot!
15 minutes to get ready???

that's gotta be a world record

ive never heard such a thing

Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
It's hot!

The only place to swim, however, was in the Mediterranean, and stripping off Western-style is frowned upon by the natives, so we all took lots of cold showers and the kids loved to play in the many fountains.

Generally speaking, one doesn't eat during the day, but one does require to drink gallons of water!

I used to dilute a liter of mango juice in water to keep me going during the day and the rest of the family picked their own favorite juices to dilute. In the evening, after sundown, we'd have a little humus and flat bread, usually, with maybe a handful of dates or figs. I lost a lot of weight during the time we spent there, as eating isn't appealing to me in hot climates.

India is just as hot and twice as humid (unless you're in the mountain regions, where it's a different story), so lots to drink and very little in the way of solids was most agreeable to my digestive system. It's much the same in Thailand, Laos, and Sri Lanka.

It's amazing what the human body can acclimatize to.

Just as we were in Jerusalem for its hottest summer, so we were in Yukon Territory for its coldest winter in 50+ years (minus 50 degrees Celsius for over a month), and when we first arrived there (in November) and opened the U-Haul door, I said to my husband, "Oh, you're joking!" It was forty below and I wanted to turn around tout de suite - and never look back! A couple of weeks later, however, I was walking out to the woodpile in bare feet to grab an armful of logs for the wood stove. We adapt. We don't think we can at first but it's surprising how quickly we do.

Thanks for this. Despite the shocking realities of temperature variances, this thread has brought back some wonderfully warm memories to me.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

wow,, that's quite a temp swing,,,,from a desert to the cold Yukon...

wood heat does feel good on a cold night I have a woodstove in the living room

and yes we are able to adapt well,,,today was in the 20's f and it felt like 60 degrees because its been so cold

I went to Jamaica for a week many moons ago,,,it was the hottest place ive ever been 90-95 everyday .... it sucked,,,,took the life right out of me,,,not use to that with the heavy humidity,,,all I wanted to do was swim and drink

it was sticky,,,,so I can see why people would want to shower many times a day

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
15 minutes to get ready???

that's gotta be a world record

ive never heard such a thing
I can get ready that fast WITH a shower!

Shower - 5 minutes.
Dry off, comb out hair, brush teeth - 5 minutes.
Get dressed, shoes on, out the door - 5 minutes.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I can get ready that fast WITH a shower!

Shower - 5 minutes.
Dry off, comb out hair, brush teeth - 5 minutes.
Get dressed, shoes on, out the door - 5 minutes.

Ooh, I like to look better than that!

I have very long hair and my conditioner must be left in for five minutes, and that's after washing my hair and the rest of my body, which takes about ten minutes, I'd guess.

Then, of course, the drying and moisturizing of the skin takes maybe another ten minutes, and tending to my teeth and nails takes another ten minutes.

Adequate (face/neckl) skin care takes about fifteen minutes, and applying a dab of color to my face here and there takes another ten.

What's that - an hour?

And I haven't made my bed or dressed yet, and I haven't made or eaten my breakfast (a must for a diabetic), and I haven't had 'my' time to connect with GOD (pray).

I need a couple of hours to get ready in the morning.

I don't like to be talked to during that time and I despise radios or any other kind of unnatural sound in the morning.

Two hours after waking, I look good, smell good, feel good, and am (usually) peacefully grounded and in a good mood for the day.

I work at home (or in the tour bus if we're touring), so I don't have to get 'out the door,' thus no commute etc.

The concerts we do at night require another two hours of dressing and makeup etc., but that's just once a week, so not an every-day undertaking.

There's also nighttime skin care, my exercise program (45 minutes), and my nighttime prayers.

Let's face it, folks; it takes more than a moment to healthily ready oneself for the day and take care of oneself throughout it.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
P.S. And I routinely work twelve-hour days, five days a week (with my husband).

Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Ooh, I like to look better than that!

I have very long hair and my conditioner must be left in for five minutes, and that's after washing my hair and the rest of my body, which takes about ten minutes, I'd guess.

Then, of course, the drying and moisturizing of the skin takes maybe another ten minutes, and tending to my teeth and nails takes another ten minutes.

Adequate (face/neckl) skin care takes about fifteen minutes, and applying a dab of color to my face here and there takes another ten.

What's that - an hour?

And I haven't made my bed or dressed yet, and I haven't made or eaten my breakfast (a must for a diabetic), and I haven't had 'my' time to connect with GOD (pray).

I need a couple of hours to get ready in the morning.

I don't like to be talked to during that time and I despise radios or any other kind of unnatural sound in the morning.

Two hours after waking, I look good, smell good, feel good, and am (usually) peacefully grounded and in a good mood for the day.

I work at home (or in the tour bus if we're touring), so I don't have to get 'out the door,' thus no commute etc.

The concerts we do at night require another two hours of dressing and makeup etc., but that's just once a week, so not an every-day undertaking.

There's also nighttime skin care, my exercise program (45 minutes), and my nighttime prayers.

Let's face it, folks; it takes more than a moment to healthily ready oneself for the day and take care of oneself throughout it.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
P.S. And I routinely work twelve-hour days, five days a week (with my husband).

2 hours to get ready, and you don't even leave the house??
that's quite a routine!! quite a commitment everyday!

im betting there is more than one bathroom in the house

Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
I'm in between peach & Mahrie. It takes me an hour on average to get ready. I wax on Sunday mornings, and will do so in a couple mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty