Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good grief, yes. When you buy clothing that is classically styled, you can wear it for decades.
Exactly. All my office clothes are classics and have been well cared for, and rotated so they don't get too much wear. I don't have a problem wearing them even though they are 15 years old. They still look good and not dated. Casual clothes are more trendy and can show their age IMO. They also wear out quicker so having them for years often isn't an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quite a few!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I don't think anything from 20 years ago would have much "fiber integrity" after all this time!
Naw, I have a t-shirt from the early nineties that's still good.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Today I'm wearing an America Eagle hoodie I got on clearance for probably $10 back in 1999 or 2000. I was a kid then but my mom always told me to buy one size bigger than I needed. What's weird is that I went to that store for the first time in years and saw basically the same designs on the hoodies. The Clark's boots and Levi's jeans I'm wearing were bought in 2009.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Quite a few!

Naw, I have a t-shirt from the early nineties that's still good.
I recently bought a t-shirt from 1991 on Ebay...it says "1991 Duke Basketball Champions" and has a big wild looking graphic. I think it's funny when someone will say "man, that's an old t-shirt" or "hey, I remember that". I really like old t-shirts that no one else has...wish I wouldn't have thrown most of mine away as a teen, but I was of the mindset "this is out of style".

Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well does anyone have clothing from these decades that is still wearable without sticking out? I'm almost completely a jeans/polo/t-shirt/gym shorts/cargo shorts/sweatshirt/hoodie type of person and I don't think anything about wearing a pair of Levi's that were bought in the 90s. I also wear a lot of my brother's t-shirts from 90s. IMO, a polo is a polo as long as it fits. I have button down collar shirts from the 90s that I still wear with the sleeves rolled up. Gym shorts and hoodies never seem to go out of style. Heck, even shoes from the 90s-'00s still look ok to me (boots, sneakers (Air Max, Jordans, Pennys, etc etc etc).

When will all this stuff be too out of style to wear without looking crazy? A lot of stuff that's used to describe 70s and 80s fashion would definitely stand out. Is it just that simple clothing that isn't particularly fashionable takes a looooong time to completely look odd?

I don't think I have anything bought within the last 15 years that I'd be embarrassed to wear out.
I only wear things that make me look good; or things that look good on my body type. I don't care from what "era" they're from.

More people should try this.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,638 times
I have a pair of Dr. Martens that I bought in 1999 that I still wear when we go dancing.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I don't think anything from 20 years ago would have much "fiber integrity" after all this time!
This is true. My favorite pin-striped casual shirt that I adored and wore often from 1987 finally gave up "the integrity" in 2012. It was a sad day. That said, I have "vacation clothes" that I wear only on our yearly trips to Mexico. They have survived just fine for many years and it's gotten to the point that even my husband notices those are my "Mexico clothes!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Most of the clothing I currently wear is at least 20 years old and I have no reason to get anything new because I have all the clothing and shoes I need. Actually I have too many pairs of shoes and need to get rid of most of them.
Yep, too many shoes. Once I retired the need for so many has gone way down. Having a hard time saying goodbye though.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I have a bathrobe from around 1997 or so. Everything else has since been replaced due to wear and tear, not fitting anymore, etc.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I have a great cardigan-type jacket made from what feels like jersey material - a little thicker than t-shirt material. (I'm not sure what it is officially - I can always look when I get home) My mom bought it for me right before I went into the Marine Corps at the end of '81. I didn't wear it much but I do more now that I actually have to dress myself, as opposed to Uncle Sam dictating the uniform. It looks great. I love it. I'll try to get a picture! It's more of a warmer weather jacket. Not really for warmth.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:04 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I have several shirts from the 80's and 90's that I have never wore and they still look brand new, and every now and then I'll get one out and wear it to work. A couple of months ago I wore a Dallas Cowboys 1993 super bowl t shirt to work. This past summer I wore a UT Longhorn Shock the Nation" t shirt from the early 90's. I have another Longhorn shirt that i have yet to wear from the late 90's or early 2000's that says "Roll on a Trojan" in reference to their bowl game that year with the Southern Cal Trojans. I also have a never worn "Bill Clinton for President" t shirt and another t shirt for Dennis Kucinich when he was running for president. I have a Houston Colt 45 t shirt that I wear to this day. Its pretty much worn out but I can still wear it. For those who dont know who the Colt 45 was, before they became the Astros in 1965, Houston's major league baseball team was known as the Colt 45. They became the Astros when the Astrodome was built. The t shirt by the way, I bought at the Astrdome in the early 90's. I wish it was from 1962 or 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty