Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times

Advertisements

I have college hoodies from the mid-late 90s that I still wear. They look the same as the ones the campus bookstore is selling today, same brands, etc.

I also have a Levi Strauss denim jacket that's about that same vintage, which I wear all the time. It's more faded now than when I got it, but the styling on those things really doesn't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,844,822 times
Most of my clothes are near, if not, 20 years old +. I have a pair of 30 year old Sebago loafers and an old pair of Justin ropers. I have too many old pairs of Levis and a gazillion old T shirts and sweatshirts. Coats and jackets are hard to date. I am late 50s and retired - I just described my wardrobe. I have an old suit which stands the test of time. Shoes are too easy...find a pair that fits and is comfortable and go back for a second before you rue the day you didn't.

I don't have money to spend on clothes I don't need.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:48 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,317,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I recently bought a t-shirt from 1991 on Ebay...it says "1991 Duke Basketball Champions" and has a big wild looking graphic. I think it's funny when someone will say "man, that's an old t-shirt" or "hey, I remember that". I really like old t-shirts that no one else has...wish I wouldn't have thrown most of mine away as a teen, but I was of the mindset "this is out of style".
Yeah, I've seen some wonderful, original Johnny Thunders, Morrissey & Sex Pistols tees. If I had any one of those, I'd keep it if it were it shreds. I still have paint stained, dips all over the gaff Phillie's & Sixers tees & although now I only wear them when doing cleaning or cooking 'round the house, someone will have to bury me with them.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81;
Good grief, yes. When you buy clothing that is classically styled, you can wear it for decades.
Yup. It never goes out of style. Cases in point, below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Darlin, I have clothes in my closet that date back 80 years or more. I have a burgundy gaberdine trench coat from the 1930s and a wool plaid jacket from the 1940s that I wear all the time. I have a gorgeous silk robe, embroidered all over that some soldier brought back from Asia during WWII. Some of my favorite sweaters are ones I bought in the 1980s. Cardigans and crew necks are classic and can be worn as long as the owner can keep the moths away. My black leather jacket was purchased in the 1990s. I wore a pair of dress shoes I bought in 1972 to a Christmas party and I'm sure nobody even noticed they were vintage.

Well-designed clothes made out of quality fabrics can be worn forever if they are properly taken care of.
I have a couple of my mom's cashmere sweaters. Back then, the cashmere was 3-ply, much more solid-feeling, and of course, warmer.

The only things that change on "classic" designs are details like the width of a collar, or how wide the shoulders are, or sometimes--length of a sweater or blouse.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:04 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,208,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

I don't think I have anything bought within the last 15 years that I'd be embarrassed to wear out.
This is another reason why you could retire early in your twenties, you hardly ever buy clothing!

But kidding aside, I always try to buy clothes on sale and go for the clearance rack. I don't have any clothes from the 90s but have some from the 00s.

I think another question would be to ask is if anyone here has clothing from that era with the price tag still on them unworn? I bought some clothing in the 00s that's never been worn. I hate doing that. Impulse purchases.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I can't get a toe in any clothing from the 90s - except ONE pair of panties I have. Those panties are still holding up. OBSERVATION: my mom still has some washcloths and towels from the 70s and 80s that are still going strong. The panties I mentioned are holding up. However socks, underwear, washcloths and frequently-worn clothing BARELY last a year, especially if I bleach them.
Hey!! Me too

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,240,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
... I have a couple of my mom's cashmere sweaters. Back then, the cashmere was 3-ply, much more solid-feeling, and of course, warmer.

The only things that change on "classic" designs are details like the width of a collar, or how wide the shoulders are, or sometimes--length of a sweater or blouse.
I couldn't afford a 3-ply cashmere sweater today even if I could find it! Good for you! Take care of those puppies.

Old clothes tend to be smaller, too. I used to work in a vintage clothing store and people came in all the time looking for Victorian dresses (even undergarments) to wear as wedding attire. We had some appropriate things (especially white-on-white lovely cotton slips decorated with lace and embroidery). But only the most super-petite women could fit into them. Even very thin women of today are usually too big-boned and/or tall to fit into genuine Victorian garments. Dresses from the 1950s that have tags reading 12 or even 14 usually need a contemporary single-digit body to fit into them.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM

18,927 posts, read 43,234,041 times
The oldest thing I have is a black Nike hoodie with a bright yellow swoosh in the front. I bought that shirt in 1997 when I was 18 years old.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,768,265 times
I have a leather jacket from the 80's that I still wear! Yes, I have other clothes from the 90's as well. Not that much anymore though. Just too worn out.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I couldn't afford a 3-ply cashmere sweater today even if I could find it! Good for you! Take care of those puppies.

Old clothes tend to be smaller, too. I used to work in a vintage clothing store and people came in all the time looking for Victorian dresses (even undergarments) to wear as wedding attire. We had some appropriate things (especially white-on-white lovely cotton slips decorated with lace and embroidery). But only the most super-petite women could fit into them. Even very thin women of today are usually too big-boned and/or tall to fit into genuine Victorian garments. Dresses from the 1950s that have tags reading 12 or even 14 usually need a contemporary single-digit body to fit into them.
Yep, I'm 5'10", broad-shouldered, wide-hipped, with a moderate (according to contemporary standards) bust (38C). Vintage attire doesn't come anywhere NEAR fitting me. Even my bust, which is pretty average, is too ample for vintage and antique clothing. My ribcage itself is too wide, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty