Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep, I'm 5'10", broad-shouldered, wide-hipped, with a moderate (according to contemporary standards) bust (38C). Vintage attire doesn't come anywhere NEAR fitting me. Even my bust, which is pretty average, is too ample for vintage and antique clothing. My ribcage itself is too wide, as well.
This is so interesting, that people were more petite back then! I guess it's due to improved nutrition, consumption of more dairy products to build bigger bones...?

You know, speaking of the bust, it seems like some designs in the Victorian era were for larger-busted women. That seemed to be a feature that got emphasized in evening wear. I come from a lineage of huge-busted women on my mom's side (my cousins and I missed out, somehow), so even back then, women had C and D cups. But they generally were shorter and more delicately-boned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Some custom suits and tweed jackets from late in the last decade. The jackets never wear out.

Also, I still have the jean jacket my high school girlfriend embroidered for me, but it's six sizes too small.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM

141 posts, read 162,134 times
Oh yeah!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well does anyone have clothing from these decades that is still wearable without sticking out? I'm almost completely a jeans/polo/t-shirt/gym shorts/cargo shorts/sweatshirt/hoodie type of person and I don't think anything about wearing a pair of Levi's that were bought in the 90s. I also wear a lot of my brother's t-shirts from 90s. IMO, a polo is a polo as long as it fits. I have button down collar shirts from the 90s that I still wear with the sleeves rolled up. Gym shorts and hoodies never seem to go out of style. Heck, even shoes from the 90s-'00s still look ok to me (boots, sneakers (Air Max, Jordans, Pennys, etc etc etc).

When will all this stuff be too out of style to wear without looking crazy? A lot of stuff that's used to describe 70s and 80s fashion would definitely stand out. Is it just that simple clothing that isn't particularly fashionable takes a looooong time to completely look odd?

I don't think I have anything bought within the last 15 years that I'd be embarrassed to wear out.

I have some workout gear that I really like from the late 90s. Mostly cycling gear but some other stuff too. The items have a simple, sleak, elegant look that fits me. The pants are loose and not showing everything, which I like. Only bad part is the colors fade and threads come undone.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
I have an old Cypress Hill t-shirt from the 90s that I will wear around the house from time to time. It is green and white (somewhat of a camo look to it), with cannabis leaves sillouhetted in white.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM

356 posts, read 365,251 times
I remember wearing hand downs from my brothers in the 90's early 2000. They grew up in the late 70's and early 80's

Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
OK, I win the trophy - I've still got the wool socks the the Army issued to me back in 1960 ! I have six pairs of them and I have only worn them a few times since then but when I need really warm socks on a cold Winter day if I"m going to be outside for a long time, out comes a pair of those socks. They are still like new and very warm. Not saying that I'm cheap or anything, but I don't know if they make socks like that anymore.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachucodeOro View Post
I remember wearing hand downs from my brothers in the 90's early 2000. They grew up in the late 70's and early 80's
I understand. I got hand-me-downs from 4 older brothers.
But, I'm the oldest girl. My younger sisters got girl clothes for some reason. (I just realized, mum liked them best!)

Since then, I like to look like a girly girl. 1/2-decade of wrong gender clothing does that to ya!

Old 01-29-2015, 11:54 PM

121 posts, read 164,785 times
I have some beautiful dresses that I bought way back in the early to mid eighties. They are mostly silk and perfectly fitted, so I definitely still wear them. A few are linen, rayon, cotton or wool.

I gave away a few really gorgeous silk wrap dresses from back then, about ten years ago, which I still regret.

I also have some silk blouses, camisoles and other things from the eighties and nineties that I still wear.

I just gave away my alpaca winter coat which was purchased about thirty years ago. It still looked brand new even though I wore it a lot over the years.

It helps to buy quality items, with great clean lines that are well-fitted and flattering to your shape. It also helps to stay the same size, of course.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:55 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
I still have some clothes and accessories from the 70s. I have alot of clothes from the 80s - a beautiful designer wool dress, cashmere coats and sweaters. The pieces are made well and are timeless styles. I still have a beautiful suede dress from the early 80s I wore alot to concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty