Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 01:25 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Sorry but for those of us not fortunate enough to have a perfect bum and hips, boyshorts are a lifesaver! I love boyshort and bikini skirt bottoms, my hips are my problem area, and they do a perfect job of covering it up and balancing my smaller upper body. IMO it's much better than flashing your cellulite for the world to see. And don't even get me started on g-string bikinis - those are not something i wanna see no matter how perfect your body is, blegh (guys might disagree with me on that )
Actually, I'm not into the g-string stuff at all. I'm sure I'm the rare male who feels that way.

You definitely want to be able to wear what you're comfortable walking around in public displaying. My thing, though, is--well, maybe I'm getting too hung up on the name, terminology etc, but to me that the shorts are called "BOY shorts" is telling. They're for BOYS. A woman should look like a WOMAN, not like a man. I know I wouldn't want to be in "mom jeans" or whatever, because I don't want to be confused with a mom. Dad jeans--okay, but not mom jeans. Then again, I guess it's just the name they use and I'm getting hung up on semantics.

My other dislike, too, and I don't think this is anything new--is women wearing "normal" shorts as the bottoms for a bikini instead of the actual bikini bottom that's part of the bathing suit. Katy Perry alluded to it in that song--"daisy Dukes, bikinis on top." No, no, no. To me, either you're in a bathing suit or you're in "normal" clothes. The two don't belong together. My mind is very "compartmentalized" in its thinking that way, I categorize practically everything. It's like Tiger Woods suddenly proclaiming he's a hockey player or something. No, no, no--when I think of Tiger Woods, I think of golf and ONLY golf. So to me either you're in a bathing suit or you're in "normal" clothes, not half-one/half the other. If you're a guy in a fancy suit or tuxedo, you have a nice silk shirt as part of that and dressy shoes, you don't mix a fancy suit jacket with jeans or sneakers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 04:57 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Bandeau bikini tops.. they do nothing for any figure whether fat or slim...totally shapeless.....blouses with frills and flounces.. because Im small I look silly and all too much... same with wide floaty sleeves, cant go them at all....I think the most silly fashion were those dresses with the hankie style hems... they reminded me of a court jester or a fairy at the bottom of the garden.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Had I been drinking my water when I clicked that link, I would have soaked my computer. Yep the silly, short, suit men are sporting today.
my grandson wore a tartan one to his 18th party with a bow tie.. thank god hes very tall and handsome hahaha..

Old 01-31-2015, 06:20 AM

301 posts, read 823,942 times
Ok - I have to comment on crossbody bags! I recently decided to purge my purse of unnecessary stuff (I mean, really, I had stuff in there that I haven't used in forever!) to lighten the weight and switched to (Kipling, mostly Alvar) crossbody bags. My entire goal was to be "hands free" where ever possible as a safety/ease of movement concept. While relatively fit, & w/no disabilities, I am still a "woman of a certain age" and wanted to feel more secure in my movement. My replaced shoulder totes/bags were starting to feel like they were weighing me down. Not all crossbody bags are styled the same, so you have to shop for one that fits your body type and style requirements. I chose a style that also works equally as well as a shoulder bag, so I have the option of not having a strap across my chest. What I don't like about the crossbody is when the bag is worn on top of your tummy - not a great look on anyone!

My front-runner pet peeve is white (or light colored) leggings - I don't care how thin/toned/young you are, even one freckle shows thru! Also - will "women of a certain age" please, please stop wearing sweatshirts with cuddly animals/cute cabins/Hello Kitty/unicorns/etc. on them?!

I have made several of the style "mistakes" mentioned here at some time in my life (shudder!!) but have developed a litmus test - if I put on an outfit and it makes me feel like I can "take on the world" then it's a keeper!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:38 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I really wish that larger women would stop wearing really tight leggings. I can only vomit in my mouth but so much.
+1. In my neck of the woods, (South Texas), there are many extremely overweight women. Unfortunately, quite a few of them wear vicously tight clothing that reveals every bulge, roll, and cellulite dimple. This is especially common among heavy women who are headed to the bar. One of the fave outfits are fishnet stockings, Daisy Dukes, and something nameless that looks like a dressy sports bra. Not a flattering look, girls I exercise like crazy myself, am not heavy, but still have cellulite, and I know not to show it off in shorts that are impossible to breathe in.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:30 AM

Have any of you notice that its a type who has the small neat black leather cross over body bags... they always look neat, even stand neat with their feet like a soldier... they have clean chin length hair swiped to one side.. no makeup and light knee length raincoats, well at least its the type Ive noticed wearing these bags, is it for safety or style... or do they think its cool.. its not..

Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. In my neck of the woods, (South Texas), there are many extremely overweight women. Unfortunately, quite a few of them wear vicously tight clothing that reveals every bulge, roll, and cellulite dimple. This is especially common among heavy women who are headed to the bar. One of the fave outfits are fishnet stockings, Daisy Dukes, and something nameless that looks like a dressy sports bra. Not a flattering look, girls I exercise like crazy myself, am not heavy, but still have cellulite, and I know not to show it off in shorts that are impossible to breathe in.
photos please, Im not mocking heavier females, but why dont they want to cover up their curves and bumps.... I wont wear a sleeveless top even in summer as i hate the tops of my arms so much.... their not massive but getting older looking.. and I know my limitations...

Old 01-31-2015, 08:15 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't know how an outfit like that could even be comfortable on anyone let alone a heavier woman -

I don't even wear shorts anywhere except for riding my bike.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:51 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Spaghetti-strap dresses having "coats" or whatever on top of them. What's the point of having a nice, sexy spaghetti-strap dress only to then cover up everything? You might as well just wear a sleeved dress to start with.
I believe we spent an entire thread a few months ago trying to explain this concept to you. Let's not re-hash it.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I believe we spent an entire thread a few months ago trying to explain this concept to you. Let's not re-hash it.
oh dear even on a fashion thread there can be picky people.. what a shame...when its going so well ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty