Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 07:53 AM

35 posts, read 24,019 times

Advertisements

The voluminous bell sleeves on tops, seem to be new this season...ugh. And yeah, cold shoulder tops....really? "Trends" that change from season to season are just marketing gimmicks to get us to keep buying new stuff. Classic is the way to go, and if you must, mix in a few trendy pieces each year.

I despise long claw-like nails too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:31 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I ALMOST wish they'd bring back pantyhose. I'm going to sound like a Grandma here (well, I AM a Grandma) but I can't get used to bare legs with dresses and skirts in formal situations. I have wonderful, gym-rat legs but they've got a vein visible here and there, the color tone is a but uneven and in the winter they're pasty white. (I have access to a tanning salon but don't want to invite skin cancer, and don't want to mess with self-tanning solutions.)

I've always felt that stockings a shade or so darker than my skin tone evened things out, but apparently now, wearing pantyhose just screams, "I'm OLD".
I totally agree. I have decent legs, but my skin is extremely pale, so I have to use tanner any time I plan to wear a skirt or else my legs are practically glowing white. And make sure they are freshly shaved.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbound View Post
The voluminous bell sleeves on tops, seem to be new this season...ugh. And yeah, cold shoulder tops....really? "Trends" that change from season to season are just marketing gimmicks to get us to keep buying new stuff. Classic is the way to go, and if you must, mix in a few trendy pieces each year.
I'm loving the flowy bell sleeves ... they bring out my inner Stevie Nicks

Old 09-13-2018, 10:42 AM

3,064 posts, read 1,678,680 times
I never liked ripped jeans even the first time they were in style decades ago. Never had an urge to look poor, and I damn sure didn't think they looked 'cool'.

Those ear-grommets are something I can't stomach. Same with bull-rings in noses.

Muffin-tops have become less common. That was a New Millennium look that was everywhere and it drove me nuts.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I ALMOST wish they'd bring back pantyhose. I'm going to sound like a Grandma here (well, I AM a Grandma) but I can't get used to bare legs with dresses and skirts in formal situations. I have wonderful, gym-rat legs but they've got a vein visible here and there, the color tone is a but uneven and in the winter they're pasty white. (I have access to a tanning salon but don't want to invite skin cancer, and don't want to mess with self-tanning solutions.)

I've always felt that stockings a shade or so darker than my skin tone evened things out, but apparently now, wearing pantyhose just screams, "I'm OLD".
See, I'm the reverse.

I'm thrilled that there's no longer a social mandate to have tan-appearing legs. I have a very, very, fair skin tone, am not interested in being tan, either from solar radiation or topical products, and it's finally socially "okay" to expose my legs (and shoulders, etc.). The idea that pale, untanned skin is not acceptable is something I've been actively rebelling against for almost 40 years, now.

Now that I have a baby daughter with flaming red hair and porcelain skin, I'm even happier that she's going to grow up in a time where there isn't enormous social pressure to tan. It motivates me even more to rock my bare legs in dresses and skirts.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
See, I'm the reverse.

I'm thrilled that there's no longer a social mandate to have tan-appearing legs. I have a very, very, fair skin tone, am not interested in being tan, either from solar radiation or topical products, and it's finally socially "okay" to expose my legs (and shoulders, etc.). The idea that pale, untanned skin is not acceptable is something I've been actively rebelling against for almost 40 years, now.

Now that I have a baby daughter with flaming red hair and porcelain skin, I'm even happier that she's going to grow up in a time where there isn't enormous social pressure to tan. It motivates me even more to rock my bare legs in dresses and skirts.
PREACH ON!!!! We've got to get past this idea that tan equals healthy.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:57 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
PREACH ON!!!! We've got to get past this idea that tan equals healthy.
I don't think it was so much a matter of "tanned" as "smooth toned."

Even black women wore pantyhose. And stockings, for that matter.

Hard to find the right shades, though, because manufacturers did not cater to black people.

Dark-skinned women usually wound up wearing hose actually lighter than their skin tones.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Hard to find the right shades, though, because manufacturers did not cater to black people.

Dark-skinned women usually wound up wearing hose actually lighter than their skin tones.
Which has a lot to do with the ridiculous belief that lighter black skin is more desirable than darker black skin, but that's a tangent for another thread.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:28 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Which has a lot to do with the ridiculous belief that lighter black skin is more desirable than darker black skin, but that's a tangent for another thread.
As a portrait photographer, I find very dark skin gloriously beautiful to photograph.

And there are many white photographers who agree.

But like cutting a diamond, it takes a true craftsman to do it well.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
What I really HATE are the ear stretchers. My friend’s grandson, who is 32, has them. I’d love to see his ears when he is much older and takes them out. His earlobes May be touching his shoulders...lol.
Ear stretchers? That's disgusting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I never liked ripped jeans even the first time they were in style decades ago. Never had an urge to look poor, and I damn sure didn't think they looked 'cool'.
I like them provided the rips are minor, and IMO the look just doesn't work unless the rest of the outfit synergizes. Wear more modest accessories and the jeans look out of place.

(Note, this is a male opinion. Of course men do not wear such jeans.)

I saw a comment about cold shoulders that I forgot to quote, but I still recall a recent date who wore a very lovely cold shoulder dress, I was very impressed with her fashion sense. The shoulders enhanced her femininity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty