Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 01:56 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As a portrait photographer, I find very dark skin gloriously beautiful to photograph.

And there are many white photographers who agree.

But like cutting a diamond, it takes a true craftsman to do it well.
I would agree with you. But society hasn't typically agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 02:01 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Bras.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Huh? He didn’t wear skinny jeans.

Yes he did. Or were they called MOM jeans?

Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Yes he did. Or were they called MOM jeans?
He might have worndad jeans, but definitely not skinny. He just happens to be a tall skinny guy.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
It's ironic that "mom jeans" are high wasted jeans, and yet we picture the classic "old man geezer" as having his pants pulled up to mid-chest.

I think that it's abundantly clear that mom jeans work but only for women who have a figure that suits mom jeans. I've seen many great examples of mom jeans looking good.

But please, don't pull distressed shorty-shorts over mom jeans. I saw that on Pinterest.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
High-waisted jeans will never look good on short-waisted women, no matter their figure. They will always look like the proverbial senior citizen with the pants hiked up to the underboob area. When you don't have a lot of torso to begin with, the last thing you want is a waistband coming up visibly higher than the natural waist.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
OMG I hate that senior "underboob" look. If I ever get like that, somebody please shoot me from behind with no warning.

I was commenting on women's styles and recognize that body type decides whether mom jeans look.

Men don't have that look. All I have to do is have no pot belly and pick jeans of my belt size.

I'm a work in progress. I've worked out most days this week and I just had sushi for dinner.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Yep. My husband and I have had many conversations about how jeans shopping is such a tremendous pain the butt for women, because there are so many fit variables, where as he's like, "I need jeans! Look, here's my size! Done!" And I'm like, "Don't you wanna try them on?" And he's like "Why? They're exactly the same as my last three pairs...it's a standard fit!" And I'm like, "I can pick two pairs of jeans off the same rack, in the same size, by the same manufacturer, and THEY WILL EACH FIT DIFFERENTLY."

Old 09-14-2018, 03:19 AM

32 posts, read 18,199 times
Hahaha.. Yeah! I admit. People really got strange when it comes to fashion trends and looks in this modern days. I wonder what are they proving about? hehe..

Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Wedge (or any other) Heeled sneakers, wtf.

I have an hourglass figure with a short torso, so no high waisted pants don't do it for me.

and yeah, as was mentioned, let's not forget ankle length or cropped pants.

I do like ripped jeans though. have a few pairs of those.
I am sure you know what looks best on you and you probably look great!

This post proves to me that fashion is absolutely subjective, and also totally depends on body type. I am tall and pretty evenly proportioned as far as legs, waist, etc goes, but I don't like high waisted pants either - but I've seen them look good on some people. I like distressed jeans to some extent - I have a couple of pairs, and I also have some that are not distressed or ripped. I personally don't care for those that show a lot of skin through the rips though. Mine don't actually show any skin through the rips, now that I think of it.

I have long legs though since I'm tall, and slim cut ankle pants look great on me. I love them! It's always been hard for me to find pants that are long enough since my legs are about 1-2 inches longer than "average" I guess. Anyway, nothing looks more stupid on me - nothing, I tell you - than fuller cut pants that are too short. Talk about adding unnecessary weight. So since my ankles are slim and my feet don't look crazy, ankle length slim cut pants are the best for my body type.

I love wearing them with short boots in the winter time. That being said, I generally wear shoes with a low heel or slight wedge, nothing tall, because I'd be six feet tall if I wore tall shoes and my husband would start to feel insecure. As it is, when I wear any sort of heel, he always says, "You look like an Amazon." He's about 5'11" but says he's six feet tall. I know he's not - LOL.

In warm weather, ankle pants with cute sandals or flats always look neat and professional on me without me feeling like I'm burning up.

Capris are a lot more problematic. I like longer, slim cut capris sometimes, but I can't wear any that are calf length (or God forbid, just below the knee) and I certainly can't wear any that are full. Now that I've lost weight, I have lost TWO INCHES in just my knees! (And 70 inches overall.) So I feel much more comfortable in shorts - that come to mid thigh, not down to my knees, because those look ridiculous on me. But they look great on some other body types.

Personally I like long tops and leggings too. They look good on me. You know what doesn't look good on me at all though? Empire waists, short jackets or shirts, Peter Pan collars, boat neck tops, cap sleeves, tops that have a big scoop in the back - I could go on but my point is that these styles DO look good on some people - just not on me.

My best friend is very, very short and curvaceous (not a bit fat though - she fights it tooth and nail and I'm proud of her for that). Since she's so short, and I'm so tall, we sort of feel like Mutt and Jeff running around together! Anyway, I love to see what she's wearing - she's very fashion conscious. She and I cannot wear ANYTHING similar - not even the same colors, because our coloring is so different. She wears totally different styles, including purses and accessories. I go for larger purses, statement necklaces, long scarves, that sort of thing - she goes for delicate jewelry, tiny purses, and she often has to alter scarves because they tend to be too long for her. She goes for "fall" colors and I go for jewel tones. She can't wear ankle pants at all because they are just long on her and besides that, they tend to make her look "cut off." She needs more volume at the bottom of her legs to balance her look out. She wears super high heels all the time and looks great in them, and I can't imagine walking around in them - I'd tower over nearly everyone and probably also twist my ankle. If she tried to wear one of my long necklaces it would hang down to her crotch. If I tried to wear one of her necklaces it would look like fairy dust around my neck. She looks GREAT in short jackets and I look like a goober in them. I look great in tunics and she looks like she's wearing a sack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty