Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, 25 or 30? I have a co-worker in her late 40s with blue hair. She's in the 70k pay range. My sister in law is 56 with magenta hair and is making over 100k. In both cases it seems crazy to me but apparently employers don't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I had a passenger this week...maybe 60+ years old who had purple and pink hair. She looked like a someone trying too hard to look young. I know she is probably an aging hippy, but really, she looked just awful. But, if it makes her happy I suppose I should give her a break. None of my business.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
There's lots of older women and I mean 40+ here in Denver with colored hair. They look like complete idiots.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,065 times

This is Catra Corbett aka the Dirt Diva. She's 50 years old and an ultra runner. I think she can pull it off.

Me on the other hand not so much. Also it depends what kind of job you have and if you intend to keep it.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM

49 posts, read 74,326 times
People should mind their own business when it comes to other people's personal preference on how they want to look... Beauty is inside the person not the outside and if someone no matter what age wants a freaking green mohawk it's their personal right to do as they please ...I am 35 and I have shaved the sides of my head ... had my hair every color pretty much...and yeah I have gotten looks from people and they love to give their unwanted opinion, I also have gotten plenty of compliments on my hair... I bet the people playing judge and jury are the same people that cry wolf when someone is attacking or judging them!!!! NO ONE SHOULD JUDGE ANYONE BASED ON LOOKS !!!! Thats Racist

Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencassidy View Post
People should mind their own business when it comes to other people's personal preference on how they want to look... Beauty is inside the person not the outside and if someone no matter what age wants a freaking green mohawk it's their personal right to do as they please ...I am 35 and I have shaved the sides of my head ... had my hair every color pretty much...and yeah I have gotten looks from people and they love to give their unwanted opinion, I also have gotten plenty of compliments on my hair... I bet the people playing judge and jury are the same people that cry wolf when someone is attacking or judging them!!!! NO ONE SHOULD JUDGE ANYONE BASED ON LOOKS !!!! Thats Racist
Judgemental? Yes. Racist? No.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Deep red is the only "unnatural" color I think women can get away with.

I'm 20 and I really want to do a deep red like this. I think it would work best dark-haired girls.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:21 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Deep red is the only "unnatural" color I think women can get away with.

I'm 20 and I really want to do a deep red . . .
You and my ex-husband would get along smashingly then. I am half Indian, thus my hair color is naturally black. He was forever bugging me to dye my hair red. He wanted me to be a redhead. I told him no; I would look stupid as a redhead because of my dark hair, skin, and eye color. I wanted my hair color to look natural. I dye it my natural black just to cover grey. (Ironically, the other half of me is Irish and my entire maternal side is full of red headed, greed eyed, pale freckled people).

He even went so far as to switch my black dye with red, thinking it would make me a redhead because he wanted me to be a redhead so badly (because of course, my choice of hair color was all about what HE wanted, not me). The red was such a dark auburn I didn't know it had been switched, and when I unknowingly used the red dye, it still turned out practically the same black color it always was since my hair is so dark. I divorced him soon after this incident and one of the reasons (among others) was that he was never satisfied with who I REALLY am. He is now dating a woman with dyed red hair

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 01-28-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM

99,563 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Where do people get off setting these arbitrary ages? "25", "40 tops". Says who?

Let people do what they want with their own hair.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My personal opinion: gah! But I think one could push the envelope through the 20's, at least. It depends in part on what type of job they have. Working in a law office or academia? Probably not. Working in tech or more casual labor or a creative field? Go for it.

One of my professors in graduate school died his blond hair bright red! He was over 40 and looked fab!

I also think some do it for a symbol of open-mindedness. Nothing wrong w that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty