Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:34 AM

837 posts, read 960,300 times

Advertisements

I see some of you raising the issue of slouchy/non-structured bags "eating" all your stuff until you need to reach in elbow-deep to find your keys or phone.

For work I have structured bags that I can easily slip papers and folders in and out of. But after hours I love slouchy leather totes and swear by those rectangular purse inserts you can buy on Amazon or Etsy. They come in a variety of sizes with a million pockets and dividers to fit anything smaller than 10-12". I can retrieve a tiny lip balm or pen from my structureless totes and when it's time to switch bags, you just pull the entire thing out and place it in your next bag.

Please tell me you guys know about this miracle invention for seemingly bottomless hungry purses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was shopping for a new purse. Looking for my ultimate black purse. I found a great one, it was redesigned slightly to be more structured and that pushed me over the edge. I got a structured bag in a more casual finish: pebbled leather.

I realize, I do not like slouchy bags or hobos even. A little slouch is fine, but I like more structure and shape. How about you?
Glad you asked that important question...haha. I have purses I've kept for different occasions, most being the "everyday" type in different colors and "structured", that I alternate. Just yesterday I switched from one I had used a little while that was bugging me because it is a little bigger and though there are pockets, I found that stuff was sloshing around some. I am used to a purse being SO organized that I can find items easily, in a smallish style with pockets.

Your purse sounds nice and it's fun getting something new that is useful.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm generally purse-free these days, but when I do carry one, I prefer structured. I did, at one point, have a hobo-type but the item I needed in a hurry was always at the bottom of the bag.

I learned that the really big bags only encourage me to carry everything I own, running the risk of losing it all or wrecking my back. A moderate size that will hold wallet, keys, phone, glasses, pen, tissues, change purse, pill box, - .
I carry just those kind of essentials, too.. including store coupons that I've organized in an envelope, within one side pocket. It's all I need and I like it to be organized and comfortable. I had a female Chiropractor that would say to keep heavy bags off shoulders, though this is what many carry.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I like small structured shoulder bags. I have this one now in black:

I've had this style for years and it suits me well. I hate a big bag and there is no way I want a big logo. I also don't like the pebbled or shiny bags.
Oh yeah, that's cute. I like smallish, clean-looking ones, too and have a variety that snap closed with zippered pockets inside and possibly a couple of outer pockets. Perfect, simple, easy. With the exception of smaller evening bags (which I have to admit I have not used lately), that hold pretty much the bare minimum and now with the additon of a phone, I don't think I could use ones I have.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My purse contains at minimum:

Aquaphor
pens
scented lotion
mints
wallet
glasses case
phone
notepad
hairbrush
comb
hair ties
tons of receipts (I don't clean those out often enough)
several medications
coin purse
tampons (the poster after me reminded me lol)
sometimes I will shove my Kindle in there, but that's only if I plan on going somewhere where I think I will have to wait a long time.

Thus, a small/no purse doesn't do the job. I admire ladies who can get away with little/no purses.
I carry pretty much the same, just what I feel is necessary. If I am going to need to carry my digital camera and sunglasses, I have to use a bit larger purse. I normally have:

An inhaler
Small pill container
Small hairbrush
Coin / bill purse
ID / card holder
Keys
Phone
Kleenex
Lip balm / Lipstick
Nail clipper
Tweezers
Emery board
Compact mirror
A few safety pins
Coupons
Small bottles of Hand sanitizer and lotion

As minimal as this may be, I am usually with others who will benefit from something I carry.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I see some of you raising the issue of slouchy/non-structured bags "eating" all your stuff until you need to reach in elbow-deep to find your keys or phone.

For work I have structured bags that I can easily slip papers and folders in and out of. But after hours I love slouchy leather totes and swear by those rectangular purse inserts you can buy on Amazon or Etsy. They come in a variety of sizes with a million pockets and dividers to fit anything smaller than 10-12". I can retrieve a tiny lip balm or pen from my structureless totes and when it's time to switch bags, you just pull the entire thing out and place it in your next bag.

Please tell me you guys know about this miracle invention for seemingly bottomless hungry purses!
Oh yes, I remember seeing that advertised - they look great and would be very helpful. I don't carry the big bags myself, but it would be such an organizational solution.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post

I have tried these inserts and have not found them useful. The problem I had with them is that they are rectangular, thus they helped me organize baguette style purses mostly. But the baguette style purses, which are east/west oriented and usually rather shallow, are the purses that are easiest to find things in anyway. The deep, dark pit purses, (satchels and hobos are literally the biggest offenders) don't benefit from this invention because the insert either doesn't fit, since it's too wide, or it falls into the same deep pit as all my other items

Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
I think we need pictures of purses to help in this thread!!!!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
In the US when is a bag a bag or a bag a purse.. I never know... our purse is for money as in wallets..

Old 02-03-2015, 12:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I think we need pictures of purses to help in this thread!!!!
Dream purses here!

I have been a fan of this since I was like 10. Not even remotely in budget.

In a more casual pebbled leather, these are good for every day. Assuming the opening is practical and there are sufficient internal pockets.

I also like this quite a lot too! It is an edgier take on the 2 above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty