Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

I was shopping for a new purse. Looking for my ultimate black purse. I found a great one, it was redesigned slightly to be more structured and that pushed me over the edge. I got a structured bag in a more casual finish: pebbled leather.

I realize, I do not like slouchy bags or hobos even. A little slouch is fine, but I like more structure and shape. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:12 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
I like structured. But I tend to carry my iPad, and it's safer in something structured.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
It depends on the purse, the day, what I am doing and my mood.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
More structured than slouchy, for sure. Hobo bags don't suit me. I also don't like oversized bags. I favor medium-small cross-body bags with messenger bag detailing...not too severe or too slouchy.

This bag is my style for an everyday bag:

http://wwws.boscovs.com/wcsstore/bos...3601blackm.jpg

Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Structured. Hate slouch.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
For everday, when I have lots to carry, I have this one in a camel:

And something like this for the black one:

I like a dressed up bag!

And this is my weekend winner right now when I have less to carry:

This is about as slouchy as I can go most of the time.

I do have a dark orange hobo that does occasionally appear in the summer. It has a bit more structure than a typical hobo and is super comfy to carry. But it is not my fave. It has a back story, and I haven't cleared it out of the closet, it is holding on at about 8 years now!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:32 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I prefer the slouchy ones made from softer materials. I'm more visually drawn to interesting or unique pattens, colors, and textures.. I don't like purses that look and feel like luggage.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I have both kinds. It depends on what I am wearing, and what I need to carry with me.
But if I had to pick just one, then maybe I'd go with structured.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
For my can't-leave-home-without everyday purse (wallet, keys, sunglasses, phone, lip balm), I require:

-reasonable size (not a giant, kitchen sink bag...I don't want to struggle and dig around for items that I need right away)
-structure, but nothing too rigid

Deal breaker:

-obvious, visible logos (gross)

My preference is for shoulder bags (not satchels; visually, I think satchels are very attractive and stylish, and I really looove the look of them, however, from an everyday practicality standpoint, I don't find it ideal to go around with a purse on the crook of my arm, because then I only have one arm free).

The strap on the shoulder bag should have enough of a drop so that the bag falls about mid rib cage (I don't like it when the strap is too short and the bag is all up in my armpit).

This is mine right now:

I think the white is pretty, but I have it in brown and brass (and I took the tassle off...I threw it in a drawer in case I change my mind). I'm not normally a chain strap kind of girl, but I don't mind it on this bag...also what I really like about it is that it can be doubled up as shown in the picture above to make for a shoulder bag, OR, it can be adjusted to make the bag cross body, so that's an extra bonus. I like it when a bag has extra touches of functionality like that. The rectangle of the body is horizontal, not vertical, so it makes it extra easy to find small things like a chapstick or a lipstick. It has a secure flap closure (but nothing too fussy that I need to struggle with). Plus, I got it at Century 21 for $99 (originally retailed for $295). Plus, this is not a bag that I will see every other woman and their mother & sister carrying.

For the everyday, giant tote I bring to work, I don't mind some slouch...makes the bag more flexible to cram any number of random things into, on any given day (power cords, mice, phone chargers, bottled water, lunch, snacks, makeup bag, tampon case, giant scarf, extra sweater, gloves, lotion, hand sanitizer, tissue, hair brush, book, DVDs that I need to return to the public library, mail, catalogs, samples, etc. etc.)

I'm so glad I'm a woman and can carry a bag around everyday.
I don't understand how men can go through life without a man equivalent of a purse or work tote.
Well, I guess they have less crap to carry (e.g., no tampon case, lol).

Old 02-01-2015, 04:03 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
I can't stand totally slouchy bags.

I always go for structured styles.

They look way more polished than slouchy styles. They also make it easier to keep things organized. I'm a neat freak, so I like things neatly organized and compartmentalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty