Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,240,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some guys are modest about that. I knew a guy who made a big deal out of it when his HS swim coach required speedos. He refused. Older men going through a midlife crisis wear speedos, though. Some of them.
I didn't learn to swim until I was a college freshman in 1967, but at that time, all mens' swimwear, both speedo and "boxcut" was fairly brief. The speedo took off in popularity after Mark Spitz popularized it at the 1972 Olympics, but a couple of years later, the fabric was changed from nylon to the clingier, more-revealing lycra. Here again, not much criticism until "jammers", and later, board shorts were adopted by younger men ... and I suspect that the greater portion of boys raised in single-parent, female-headed households might have had something to do with that,

Does anybody else here remember the "gay blue jeans" issue of the Seventies? On those occasions, everyone was "encouraged" to show support for gay lib by wearing blue jeans. Of course, on the campuses of those days, just about everyone wore them anyway, so If one did not, it gave the gay militants an opportunity to find somebody to challenge -- and possibly demonize, The same "logic" seems to be applied here, but in reverse.

At 65, I still have a full head of hair and weigh only a few pounds more than during my college years, and still enjoy swimming laps when I get the chance, but I traded in the speedo a few years ago for the slightly-longer and slightly less-revealing style now favored by most local high schools for competitive swimming. I have no desire to show anything off, but I don't see the sense of swimming in a tent either.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most women I know think Speedos are silly looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Not that this is directed to you, but why is it that women are allowed to critique men's fashion, men's style and men's grooming, but if men do that to women, it is considered somehow offensive. Example - I was at a party and some woman said to a man "that mustache makes you look ridiculous". If he would have said something to her like "those pants make you look fat" I don't think she would have considered it an acceptable comment.
Okay then. Most Americans think Speedos are silly looking.

And for someone to say "that mustache makes you look ridiculous" she better be his sister or mother or else she's a rude wench, ain't she?

And don't compare men in speedos with women who showcase their bustline. No comparison. I'm female. I don't enjoy looking at women's boobs. HOWEVER our culture sort of celebrates them. It's a lot more normal than seeing guys on the beach in speedos. ew

Old 02-04-2015, 06:07 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,484,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I have the fortune of having traveled outside of the US, and everywhere I went, men's swimsuits are speedos. Then I came back and saw all men wear swim trunks.

Why?
Because no one wants to see the outline of a guy's junk. DISgusting!

Sex appeal is far better to have things loosely covered and leave things up to the imagination.

NOTE: I don't like the long flappy bathing suits on guys either. Some looser (not flappy) medium length shorts are perfect IMO

Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They're just not comfortable.
I'd honestly rather just go to a nude beach than to wear speedos...
My feeling is just the opposite. What I hated and still do is the boxer style. They are uncomfortable to swim in because of the loose fabric dragging around in the water, and I hate the way they rub across my legs when I walk, especially if I'm sunburned.

When I was a small child the "speedo" or brief style was popular. When I moved to NYC post-college speedos or short boxers were seen quite a bit.

I think, as with so many of the "ick" reactions that come up in relation to men's fashion in this forum, it's indicative of the fact that Americans have a big problem with even the suggestion of male sex organs being on view. When it comes to male sex organs most Americans seem to still have the mind set of the era when men's underwear ads airbrushed the crotch so it appeared to be a virtually flat area.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
...I have no desire to show anything off, but I don't see the sense of swimming in a tent either.
This was it for me. I hated all that fabric...in the water, and wearing it wet out of the water.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,688,144 times
I think most American men are inhibited to a certain degree and afraid people will make fun of them for wearing skimpy bathing suits. I wore a speedo type bathing suit well into my 50's because I simply hate baggy clothing, especially clothing that I am going to get sun in or swim in. Plus, my GF liked me wearing one, and that was enough incentive for me.

But I am older now and more reserved, so short shorts and speedos are in my past.

Don

Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
My guess is that they are insecure. I am not a big fan of speedos myself, but I just hate the swim trunks here. They are way too baggy and long! They should end right under your but, not at your knee!
I live in Europe. I see some guys who arrive at the beach in long surfer trunks, but they are wearing a "speedo" underneath, which they swim in. And then they don the surfer trousers when they come back out.

It's interesting that as these very long surfer swim suits have become the thing that men's jeans have gone back to being tight-fitting, and the baggy, droopy drawers look in jeans now says loser in a big way.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
There are more mirrors available in the US.
Best post of the thread so far! Repped.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM

28,867 posts, read 14,232,275 times
I'm a firm believer in dress for the body you have not the one you want. In my younger years I was quite a bit thinner but still never had the chiseled V shaped body of Adonis. So a younger self wouldn't have been all that spectacular in a Speedo. And now at 46, and overweight would be quite the put off, now if I was packing something WELL above average... that might change things. LOL I'm sure it would take the attention off my beer gut.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:04 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No. You don't. That's what you choose to do.
Well.. yes. Every form of swimwear or underwear is a choice. The point is: you DO get used to it after awhile. Just like you'd get used to a dull throbbing ache in your elbow.. same concept. You don't notice too much once you get accustomed to the feeling. I have an ex that would wear NOTHING but male g-strings as underwear.. no boxers, briefs, commando in sight. He wasn't gay or bisexual (very subby but not gay) and I thought it was ridiculously hot. Loved it!

Keep in mind, I prefer submissive men to begin with so I don't speak for the everyday woman -- not the average woman here by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty