Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure everywhere else wears them.

In England, they're called 'Budgie Smugglers' and I don't wear them. Some do, some don't. Possibly more than North America.

They do look ridiculous, however. And are uncomfortable.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
How is that any different than females showing off breasts?
Because breasts are sexy but what you see in a Speedo isn't

Old 02-03-2015, 08:21 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So swimwear is for sex purposes, not for swimming? And if what you see in a speedo isnt sexy then how/why do people ever breed or have sex? Are we supposed to judge men for their looks but judge women for whats on the inside? How is that not a double standard with a bit of hypocrisy?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Who said it was? Both are good.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Speedos have a reputation in America for being associated with gay men.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I dunno, but thank god.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 AM

672 posts, read 789,379 times
Speedos need to be earned. Really, they look pretty ridiculous on most men, even a fair number of atheletes with incredible bodies. Greg Louganis might be an exception, but then again, he is gay, so maybe that's enough proof for the speedo = gay meme. But David Beckham also looks good in a speedo, and he is definitely not gay, so much for that theory. Or maybe Becks just looks good in anything. I don't know. I can't imagine that they are comfortable, kind of like an overblown thong, probably creeping up the cheeks and back, but that is just conjecture.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Americans have larger "junk" than the rest of the world. Showing that off in a Speedo would just be rude!
You mean, a traditional Chinese sailing boat, or a rusted-out washing machine?

I think we can see how prudish Americans are, about real bodies and about using real language to talk about them. What's next, "A roof over the tool shed"? Oh wait, we've had that too...

Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Quote:
So swimwear is for sex purposes, not for swimming? And if what you see in a speedo isnt sexy then how/why do people ever breed or have sex? Are we supposed to judge men for their looks but judge women for whats on the inside? How is that not a double standard with a bit of hypocrisy?
Whoa, pythonis. Relax. I was joking. OTOH, I like women, so guys in Speedos (or swim shorts, for that matter), aren't my thing. Besides, I bet very few people viewing others' swimwear don't think about how good looking the wearer is, and the style of swimwear certainly contributes to the impression overall. Any woman who has worn a bikini (myself among them) can attest to the fact that body parts fall out of bikinis much easier than in one piece suits. I posit the same goes for the guy in Speedo thing. Guys in Speedos probably have their junk fall out in the tiniest wave, whereas guys in swim shorts are safe even in a tsunami

Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
...it's just something men here don't do. Does it really make a difference?
Yes, it does. Women are expected to flaunt it all almost naked, with nothing to hide, in tight swimsuits while men hide their assets (or lack thereof) of baggy trunks.

I vote for full Speedo disclosure for all men! Come on, let us women check out your goods, compare you to all the other men around you and start threads about the size and shape of your Speedo bulge!

I mean, its only fair, right? That is what women put up with from men on a daily basis

PS: A close-up Speedo pictorial thread on the topic for comparison would be nice - all we get to see around here are pics of airbrushed and mostly naked women being picked apart and judged. Bring on the Speedo contest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty