Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Reading some of the comments about this on Facebook, I found it shocking that some women were saying: "That's plus size?". Um, of course it's plus size, what else would it be? Just because she looks like she's got a shape in her pictures doesn't mean she ain't a big girl in real life. My whole body is probably the width of her waist.
Yes. She is indeed plus size. If you're a 14 or over? You're a plus size.

Some size 12 women hit plus size in a conventional sense, depending on their height.

I think she looks great. She's not demonstrating a potentially negative image (that you can be absolutely gigantic and who cares!), but she's also showing women a body shape/type that could look really nice and attractive in a bikini, yet isn't the typical bikini model you see in SI.

I agree with Pitt Chick, though. It's a paid ad. It's a step in the right direction for larger women who are also not morbidly obese, but it's not all the way there just yet.

Bodies come in all sizes, and we do need to acknowledge the beautiful ones in these magazines. A variety is good. Helps people have a positive self image. Suppose a girl who needed to shed a few pounds (or was keeping her weight low and starving herself to do it) saw this ad and thought... Hey! I can look like her. We have a similar body type!

How empowering is that?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You have to admit, for a big ol size 16, she has one of the prettiest faces around:
Just because a woman is fat (or plus size) doesn't mean she wouldn't have a pretty face. There are alot of pretty women that happen to be big just like there are a lot of thin women that happen to be ugly.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
She has a pretty face, but she could stand to tone up and drop 25 lbs.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
She has a pretty face, but she could stand to tone up and drop 25 lbs.
Why does she need to lose weight if she's otherwise healthy? She appears to be fresh faced, good skin tone, etc. If she looks that way in person, why does she need to drop any weight at all, unless she chooses to?

Toning up is another issue... that's personal preference.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Looks like Sports Illustrated is breaking new boundaries.

Sports Illustrated Adds Plus-Size Ashley Graham to 2015 Swimsuit Issue - Us Weekly

Nice looking lady until the rear shot. Clearly her best features are in the front.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
being heavy for long periods of time is bad for your health. It's hard on your knees, back, heart, liver, hips, etc. It's easier to lose weight when you're younger. The notion that you can be overweight and healthy is based on a very loose definition of "healthy."

Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
being heavy for long periods of time is bad for your health. It's hard on your knees, back, heart, liver, hips, etc. It's easier to lose weight when you're younger. The notion that you can be overweight and healthy is based on a very loose definition of "healthy."
If that were the logic, it would be ideal to weigh as little as possible. But that's not the case.
What matters is that someone is not fat, with a huge belly at the front, which causes stress on the back.
That woman looks healthy to me, healthier than most slim women. One can be fit yet a bit overweight. I mean, who decides what is overweight, over what weight? A lot of women, especially the ones in commercials, are underweight in my view.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Is she on the cover? If not, there's no ground broken here.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I don't think she's that large but remember a size 16 can vary. I don't know her height but a model at 5'9 who is size 16 is different than a model at 5'0 who is a size 16. I had been a model myself in my 20's and there was pressure to be thin. Because of the modeling I did I could be a bit heavier but even so if my size started creeping up to a 10, or even an eight I would be told to slim again.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Is she on the cover? If not, there's no ground broken here.
Heck no. The gal who made the cover is otherwordly beautiful.

The Ashley gal technically isnt even really part of the SI swimsuit spread. She's featured as part of a paid advertisement by some company. Lots of completely false and misleading reports about her being in the swimsuit edition like she's actually one of the featured swimsuit models - which she is NOT.

Hannah Davis is your cover girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0hMZWR75g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty