Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 PM

21,669 posts, read 24,806,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Lands' End has some great wrinkle free shirts.
Tailored fit is reasonably slim... I mean, if you're trying to pull of the nuthugger it's not that slim cut. Collars are a little wimpier than I'd like. I usually go with Brooks Brothers. I'm fat so Milano (slimmest) looks ridiculous on me. Regent is fairly similar to Lands' End. On sale they're usually about $60/shirt which is still kind of pricey but not awful.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-09-2015 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM

26,155 posts, read 21,391,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Tailored fit is reasonably slim... I mean, if you're trying to pull of the nuthugger it's not that slim cut. Collars are a little wimpier than I'd like. I usually go with Brooks Brothers. I'm fat so Milano (slimmest) looks ridiculous on me. Regent is fairly similar to Lands' End. On sale they're usually about $60/shirt which is still kind of pricey but not awful.

I used to buy brooks brothers but switched as even the brooks brothers slim was baggy and instead of having them tailored

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,298,643 times
try j.crew factory, especially when they have sales.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,356,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
Hi all,

I have been on the hunt for the perfect button down (dress) shirt for an athletic/thin build. To give you my size, i am 5'11", around 170 lbs, athletic/thin build, low body fat. I wear these each day to the office, tucked in with slacks (no tie).

Modern fit/slim shirts look really good on my build. Most of my suits, pants, etc are of the straight/slim variety.

About 6 months ago, i thought i had found the perfect button down shirt - Kohls Apt. 9 slim fit. They fit almost all my criteria:
  • They are slim fitting
  • They stretch
  • They have a modern look
  • They come in a ton of colors
  • They are inexpensive! (under $20/shirt)
The problem? They are AWFUL with wrinkles. They are so bad that each morning while driving to work, i have to adjust my seat belt several times so it doesn't wrinkle the shirt before i get there. I only wear a jacket with them if i absolutely have to, otherwise, they wrinkle.

I am now starting to try new dress shirts that are strictly no wrinkle/iron free and are of the slim/modern fitting variety. And i am having a tough time finding something decent.

The latest shirt i bought to try is an Arrow no iron modern fit shirt. I bought it 1 size smaller than i usually wear and it seems to fit similarly to the Apt 9. shirt. Going to try it for 2-3 weeks before i make any conclusions on it.

For those of you who wear this style shirt, what dress shirts and from where do you purchase?

Thanks!
I'm 5'8 135, runners build and really slim build. Kamakura Tokyo Slim fit is my shirt of choice. They are not non-iron, but the quality is fantastic for the price. I've had good luck with Brooks Brothers Extra slim fit (now branded Milano's), but they were a tad loose in the waist compared to the Kamakuras but an easy fix with a tailor. I've have two lands end slim fits that are ok, but material is not up to quality and fit is slightly off. I'll replace those with Kamakura's once they wear out. J Crew Ludlow was good, but now an expensive rip-off and the fit is not consistant. Hugo Boss Black, slim is good, but expensive.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 PM

21,669 posts, read 24,806,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I used to buy brooks brothers but switched as even the brooks brothers slim was baggy and instead of having them tailored
Slim or extra slim (regent or milano now)?

Fashion forward brands just don't work for athletic builds. They're designed for people without large shoulders and 10"+ drops. Ironically, getting fat made finding clothes that fit a lot easier for me. The pants that fit my waist now also fit my thighs rather than getting stuck on them. Instead of a 10/11" drop, I have a more regular 6" drop.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 PM

26,155 posts, read 21,391,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Slim or extra slim (regent or milano now)?

Fashion forward brands just don't work for athletic builds. They're designed for people without large shoulders and 10"+ drops. Ironically, getting fat made finding clothes that fit a lot easier for me. The pants that fit my waist now also fit my thighs rather than getting stuck on them. Instead of a 10/11" drop, I have a more regular 6" drop.

Extra slim. I'm 6'2'' 190+/- I do run into problems with sizing, shirts 35/17.5 pants I need 30-36 but often have to work with 32-34 or so. If I put on weight finding pants that fit would be much easier

Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I have been on the hunt for the perfect button down (dress) shirt for an athletic/thin build. To give you my size, i am 5'11", around 170 lbs, athletic/thin build, low body fat. I wear these each day to the office, tucked in with slacks (no tie).

Modern fit/slim shirts look really good on my build. Most of my suits, pants, etc are of the straight/slim variety.

About 6 months ago, i thought i had found the perfect button down shirt - Kohls Apt. 9 slim fit. They fit almost all my criteria:
  • They are slim fitting
  • They stretch
The problem? They are AWFUL with wrinkles. They are so bad that each morning while driving to work, i have to adjust my seat belt several times so it doesn't wrinkle the shirt before i get there. I only wear a jacket with them if i absolutely have to, otherwise, they wrinkle.

I am now starting to try new dress shirts that are strictly no wrinkle/iron free and are of the slim/modern fitting variety. And i am having a tough time finding something decent.

The latest shirt i bought to try is an Arrow no iron modern fit shirt. I bought it 1 size smaller than i usually wear and it seems to fit similarly to the Apt 9. shirt. Going to try it for 2-3 weeks before i make any conclusions on it.

For those of you who wear this style shirt, what dress shirts and from where do you purchase?

Thanks!
Have a look at Lands End. They carry slim fitting shirts, and also no iron shirts. LE makes classic men's clothing, and their shirts are better than most department store shirts.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,591,172 times
Banana Republic. They don't have the buttons but are a great non-wrinkle men's business shirt. The tailored slim fit one is nice and slim on the hips, but has room for shoulders.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,188,097 times
Quote:
Hi all,

• They are slim fitting
  • They stretch

Thanks!
You have the same build as my husband, thin but an inch taller.

As recommended above, he wears (and really likes) Banana Republic Tailored Slim, Non-Iron dress shirts. There are plenty of sales and coupons for BR out there. Minimal wrinkles. (They are slimmer still than BR's "Slim" dress shirt.)

Scroll down to Tailored Slim Fit:
Men's Apparel: non-iron shop | Banana Republic

(Land's End Slim are not slim enough for him.)

Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 AM

4,156 posts, read 6,846,059 times
there is not a single brand of men's dress shirts at Kohl's that is worth their salt. When I first graduated college and started working I tried Apt 9, Van Heusen, Marc Anthony, Arrow. All decent but even then only for the bargain price. Since then I have moved on. Banana Republic and J. Crew are OK for mid-level shirts and are easy to find and there are some cheaper brands at Nordstroms that are OK.

However, my go-to dress shirts for fit, quality, wrinkle-free are hands down Bonobos dress shirts (www.bonobos.com). Their daily grinds are absolutely fantastic. For the price, I have not found a better match of quality, fit, and wrinkle-free. They have a few different fits that work for both athletic and slim guys. I am very trim and always had a hard time finding shirts that work until I tried theirs. I buy them online. Free shipping, no hassle returns if you don't like them which gives you the freedom to order a few different combinations of sizes and slim/regular to see what fits you best without worrying about eating any cost of returns.

5'8 135lb w/ 36.5" chest and 28 waist and their Slim XS fits me well. But I have friends close to the OPs build who also love the fit of their dress shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty