Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:01 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

And what about all the people who are forced to "dress up" (and at their own expense -- not tax-deductible) due to senseless corporate conformity?

Dress codes should be consigned to the trashcan where they belong; -- no more than business-casual; all-day; every day!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-11-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 04:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Nope, nobody "dresses up" - even for church or a funeral!

Actually the only people I know who dress up are the "girls" at work who are 22-32 and love spending their new found wealth on cool clothes that they THINK will get them into management. Oh well....they dress for themselves....

Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Actually the only people I know who dress up are the "girls" at work who are 22-32 and love spending their new found wealth on cool clothes that they THINK will get them into management. Oh well....they dress for themselves....
*shudder* I'm afraid to ask what their choices are like. More people need to dress up, though. I'm tired of looking at bank tellers who look like they're dressed for hanging out with their friends, or watching TV at home. I'm tired of looking at their exposed boobs. Whatever happened to professional dress for bank employees? The male tellers wear suits. They don't wear jeans and a t-shirt or even a polo. They dress like they want to be taken seriously, and are hoping for a promotion or two. The women don't dress like they want anyone to take them seriously, not even the customers.

*sigh*

Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times
Heh, my wife tore into me about two weeks ago due to this very subject.

"You have a closet full of nice clothes but you dress like a homeless guy".

Busted.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My lady and I dress up to go to the theater in L.A. Many people, young and old, do the same. However, it is not unusual to see people who look like they were at the beach or just rolled out of bed.

At my brother's funeral, I was the only male in a suit except for the undertaker. One woman was dressed very nicely, and most people came from work in their work attire. Some guy came in shorts, but at least he showed up to pay his respects.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:24 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I live in an extremely casual area and I get dressed up all the time.

Lifes too short, I'll wear what I want.

Interestingly, I have noticed that the other women are now dressing up a bit more, too. Like they are rising to my challenge or something.

It's nice.

I do the same. And I notice the same. People take my cue. Sure I enjoy jeans and well fitting slacks. However, a little black or tweed skirt and tights (in Winter) kicks everything up a notch.

When I'm having people over for dinner, that's pretty much my default out fit. I wear a nice twin set sweater and a strand of pearls and I feel so much better! A little black dress does the same thing.

I agree with attending dressy events. Don't forget the charity of your choice! They usually have a rather formal event each year.

When I go to a restaurant that involves table cloths, I wear a skirt or dress. Do my make up. Add the pearls and pretty earrings, the kind that light up your face.

I can attest that I have a better time when I do!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Don't go to the daytime symphony in Seattle expecting it to be a dress-up occasion. Everyone wears shorts and flip-flops.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I would like to see folks at least look decent!! - I have cords I'll wear in the winter, nicer boots/shoes instead of sneakers, dark jeans, some jewelry.... often see people out and about wearing exercise clothes, sweats that I would only wear around the house, etc. - sad - even holidays aren't "special" to anyone - I'm not talking formal, dresses, etc. - but seriously, wear some shoes!! put on a pair of decent pants and a shirt (other than sweatpants/shirts), etc. - sigh.... and I'm not even that old.

Don't even get me started on flip flops - they belong at the beach!!! I can NOT STAND the sound of people "slapping" who can't even wear them properly echoing through a store while I'm shopping.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Simple was not a parameter....
Guess you got me there.

In that case, here are some more options:

Buy new wardrobes for everyone else in your city
Change the fashion landscape such that people feel obligated to dress nicely more often.
Build several upscale locations in your city so that people have more places to dress up.

It's common sense to stick to practical solutions.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:48 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
I have feeling this generation thing.
I hate wearing dresses and skirts.
I am glad women are allowed pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty