Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:57 PM

6,452 posts, read 6,612,348 times

Advertisements

The thread about wearing nylons with sandals has me wondering......

For other ladies like me, whose legs just really don't look good bare with a dress (for me, it's varicose veins, but it could be various reasons), what do you do?

In the other thread, the majority feel that wearing nude nylons is completely out of fashion. And I'll admit they aren't comfortable, especially in the summer. So I generally either wear pants or a maxi dress in the summer when I'm out in public.

Here's my particular dilemma. My husband's daughter is getting married this summer (so I am step-mom of the bride). I feel I should not wear a floor-length dress, even on the casual side, since Mother of the Bride will be in knee-length. And I definitely would not wear pants to this wedding. I don't tan well, either in the sun or in a tanning booth (and of course that's not healthy). I tried the spray-on tan (done at a salon) a couple times, but that doesn't look great on me.

I think I'll just wear nylons, maybe with a peep toe shoe, and look a bit out of fashion. But I think that will look better than bare, pasty, vein-ridden legs.

What do y'all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,469,987 times
I would do the same as you. And not worry about it, because everyone will be looking at the bride, not at you.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,980,466 times
nude nylons are out of fashion, but sheer colored hose are not. Wear a solid toe shoe and a pair of very sheer colored hose in a color that matches or complements the dress.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
In that situation, I'd rather just not expose my legs than wear hose. I wouldn't worry about matching the style of the mother's outfit, so long as what you wear isn't over-the-top flashy or attention-drawing, obvs. I would wear the length most flattering on me. It's very true that eyes aren't really going to be on you, honestly...but since what you're wearing will most likely be memorialized in portraiture, I'd make sure I felt what I was wearing was the most flattering choice I could have made.

But I wouldn't wear hose.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,648,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In that situation, I'd rather just not expose my legs than wear hose. I wouldn't worry about matching the style of the mother's outfit, so long as what you wear isn't over-the-top flashy or attention-drawing, obvs. I would wear the length most flattering on me. It's very true that eyes aren't really going to be on you, honestly...but since what you're wearing will most likely be memorialized in portraiture, I'd make sure I felt what I was wearing was the most flattering choice I could have made.

But I wouldn't wear hose.
^^^^ this

Old 02-21-2015, 06:37 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,173 times
I would start experimenting with light toned, professionally done spray tans a few weeks before the wedding. Tell the technician what you want. You don't need to look like you have a sun tan, you just want consistent color and coverage all over.

You also have time to experiment with some of the leg makeup that you do yourself. Joan Rivers makes a good one. You need to practice to get the right look. It isn't easy. I would start now.

Get a great pedicure and wear a simple dress.

Have you considered getting your veins removed? There are some new procedures that give great results.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,233,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I tried the spray-on tan (done at a salon) a couple times, but that doesn't look great on me.
They key to spray-on tan is to not do it in one application. Go very gradual for about 4 or 5 visits. You shouldn't even really notice a difference at first, but the color will build and look more natural.

You could also try Dermablend-type body makeup.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
As a 46-year-old woman, I believe it is unreasonable to expect ALL women who qualify for mother of the bride age to go bare-legged at a wedding.

Kayanne, don't worry about spray tanning or camouflage of any kind. There's nothing wrong with very sheer nose with a peep toe shoe at a wedding. You will look GREAT and appropriate.

It is smart to consider the groom's mom's style of dress as the two of you will be in lots of full length photos together. You also will very much be the center of attention at certain times.

Find some very sheer hose. It's no big deal.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 PM

50,019 posts, read 63,359,544 times
You should wear whatever makes you feel beautiful and comfortable. From your description, I am thinking that a knee length, or slightly below knee length, dress with panty hose in a medium tone, with pumps or peep toe would look nice.

You do not need to conform to any sort of preconceived notion of "should". Women of a certain age (I am one) have certain cosmetic issues that we did not have as young women. It is elegant to recognize these issues and dress accordingly.

Just as an example, my niece got married a few years ago and her grooms mother wore a very low cut long dress that looked totally bad. Nobody wanted to see those leathery, droopy old boobs. My point is that you will look nice if you do not try to pretend that your deficiencies do not exist.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,990,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The thread about wearing nylons with sandals has me wondering......

For other ladies like me, whose legs just really don't look good bare with a dress (for me, it's varicose veins, but it could be various reasons), what do you do?

In the other thread, the majority feel that wearing nude nylons is completely out of fashion. And I'll admit they aren't comfortable, especially in the summer. So I generally either wear pants or a maxi dress in the summer when I'm out in public.

Here's my particular dilemma. My husband's daughter is getting married this summer (so I am step-mom of the bride). I feel I should not wear a floor-length dress, even on the casual side, since Mother of the Bride will be in knee-length. And I definitely would not wear pants to this wedding. I don't tan well, either in the sun or in a tanning booth (and of course that's not healthy). I tried the spray-on tan (done at a salon) a couple times, but that doesn't look great on me.

I think I'll just wear nylons, maybe with a peep toe shoe, and look a bit out of fashion. But I think that will look better than bare, pasty, vein-ridden legs.

What do y'all do?
What you do is wear what you want, when you want and don't worry with the "Rules" others have been trying to impose on fashion for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty