Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 PM

37,037 posts, read 41,961,954 times

Advertisements

I was looking at it off and on last night and suddenly it looked blue, really blue. I repeated the experiment this evening and it started out looking gold and whitish, although not a clearly as it was the first time I saw it, but the longer I looked the bluer it got. It's kind of funny in a witchy sort of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Watching a news segment with the designer of the dress telling us the dress is blue with black highlights so those of you seeing a white and gold colored dress are being deceived by your vision.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:57 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,918,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My wife and I looked at the same exact picture, she saw gold and white, and saw blue and black, very strange! Yet earlier today, looking at the same picture, I saw white and gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I was looking at it off and on last night and suddenly it looked blue, really blue. I repeated the experiment this evening and it started out looking gold and whitish, although not a clearly as it was the first time I saw it, but the longer I looked the bluer it got. It's kind of funny in a witchy sort of way.
Try moving away from the screen. It gets bluer and blacker for some of us.

When I saw it on TV it was blue/black but on the actual website I see the gold/white combination until I move away from the computer 2-3 yards then I see it blue and black again. The other people at my home always see white and gold no matter the distance.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,918,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just looked again after saying last night that it was blue and brown. It still is blue and brown but if I tilt my screen back, it makes things darker. Then the dress is dark blue with black trim.

Since I sell clothing on ebay, this is a little bit disturbing. If I'm selling a fuchsia dress, are some people going to see it as red and others see pink? Or is this just one isolated example? I know different monitors display colors differently but I don't think they are that different unless there's really something wrong with the monitor.

How can anyone see white and gold? What is going on? If people are gazing at one computer and seeing different colors then it must be something with the human eye, right?
It is. And the fact that this went viral makes me think not many people knew about this. Maybe Amazon always knew about this and that is why the have a patent on "white background" photography since white backgrounds don't change the perception of blue according to some of the articles that have been posted about this famous dress.

Maybe now we know when people complain about getting the wrong color might have a different perception of color.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
I just went to the CNN site and read about it, something that makes sense and was not written by a psychologist, but by an opthamologist, someone who is qualified to know about these things. He/she is attending a convention of opthamologists right now, in fact. He/she said that this topic has practically taken over their convention.

Anyway, it's the same reason that some of us think something tastes one way and someone else thinks it tastes another way. It's genetic. Humans have developed a strong sense of color, having needed to know green vines and yellow fruits from the days when we lived in the jungle and foraged for our food.

So it's nothing to do with any computer monitor or tricks being played on us, it's the difference in the way we perceive things. As a lot of us said, the colors are blue and black. I don't know if we get to feel superior or not. I guess not. It's just that people actually do see the colors differently.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:29 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,158,837 times
Well if it's a vision thing, of course I won't see it well. My vision is a handicap almost, being 20/200 and needing special glasses before I can drive.

So I am not shocked if I saw it wrong. From a distance, or with small writing, 3 and 8 look the same to me. lol

I looked again, and tried backing up. I was still seeing gold, but what I saw as a shadowed white became a darker blue.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 AM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Watching a news segment with the designer of the dress telling us the dress is blue with black highlights so those of you seeing a white and gold colored dress are being deceived by your vision.
I saw that as well. So much for those who are swearing by the dress being "white and gold"

Old 02-28-2015, 02:23 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,234,585 times
I would call it white and maize-colored.

Ugly-butt outfit, though.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,086,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Odd that this phenomenon is just about this dress, What color is the butterfly=
http://thehipreport.com/wp-content/u...12/url-73.jpeg
Blue and Black

Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,086,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you look at the original photo compared to the 2nd photo of the dress as worn at the wedding, it's clear that there is a very big difference in the colors between the photos.

(sorry for the article name, but it was the only one I could find that had both photos in it!)
What The Hell Is Wrong With Your Eyes? A Dress Explainer
I can see 5 different shades of this dress in the above article.

1) royal blue/black
2) periwinkle/dull brown
3) gold/very light blue
4) gold/cream
5) gold/white

Does anyone else see all 5?

This would have been an appropriate jinx for April 1st!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty