Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:44 AM

19,477 posts, read 9,501,098 times

Advertisements

Oh, the 2 faces. That was the one described years ago as the young woman/witch(?) picture? That, I recall. I kept seeing the young woman until somebody outlined the witch part and thanks to them, (whoever that was), I haven't been able to get the young woman back in my head again.

Last edited by cat1116; 02-28-2015 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: Opps, missing my quoted portion (very beginning of this thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,168,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Apparently this dress resides in a shop somewhere in London & according to abc World news Tonight, it is definitely black and blue. Me personally, I saw it as white and gold. Sorry boys and girls I could not find a link for it.

Having said that I do know that the pearl dress that Lupita Nyong'o wore to the Oscars was found two days after it was stolen from her hotel room in West Hollywood, police say. Mum's the word and neither Lupita, the hotel where she was staying or the various 'reps' are commenting or giving any details on the 'unfortunate incident'.

Lupita Nyong'o's Pearl Oscars Dress Found After Being Stolen - ABC News
Now see, I see two different color dresses on Lupita...

Pure white pearls in the mirror, (could be) pinkish pearls in the dressing room view.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,887,620 times
I saw the dress first on my mobile phone, and it looked black and blue. I later saw it on Good Morning America, and it still looks black and blue to me. Other people I have talked to say it is gold and white...I am not seeing that at all. I am thinking that maybe the background in the photo has something to do with how different people are perceiving the color of the dress in the photograph?

Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,054,881 times
Yesterday all day white & gold. I went to bed & had the TV on with lights off same colors. I turned the tv off & boom blue & black. It freaked me out!! Now I ONLY see blue & black.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 AM

966 posts, read 1,068,928 times
When I first saw it I used the eye dropper tool on paint to pull off the colors away from the dress and they are gold and a light blue. The first time I saw it I saw it as white and gold. I can see the blue but I've never been able to see how it could be black. I have noticed if I place my hand over the lighted background in the background so I only see the dress it looks a lot darker and the blue tint is a lot more noticable and the gold looks more like a dark brown. I think the lighted background tells your brain that the dress isn't in full light so it compensates for the shadows thus why you will see white and gold. If the background is removed or ignored by the brain it will appear in darker colors as it only has the dress to make a judgement about the lighting conditions in the picture

Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,808,478 times
White and gold for sure, but I know the dress was actually blue and black in reality. Very odd.

Don

Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 AM

29,727 posts, read 34,308,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup, still blue and black. I don't know how people are getting white and gold.
I've never seen it as blue and black. I know the actual dress is blue and black, but every time I look at the picture it's white and gold/tan. On my phone, my laptop, my work PC; it's always the same.

After reading some of the articles about brain function, I think what I'm seeing is that there's a bright light in the upper right of the photo, and my brain is interpreting that as a white dress being backlit and filling in the blanks from there.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-28-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,721,266 times
It's simple color conception. When the brain see something in a shaded area it will auto-correct to that color. The dress in real life is blue and black, but if placed in a different shading/light some peoples brains automatically correct for that and change the color to white and gold. The people that have always seen blue and black from the beginning don't have this auto-correction adaption tool.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 AM

6,464 posts, read 8,172,219 times
Blue and black. Where is the poll?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,659,003 times
Look at in different lighting, different times of day. Also, when I see light blue/taupe and get really close to the screen, the blue darkens the closer I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty