Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,773,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
It's a doctored photo, that's why no one can figure it out.

The dress looks White and Gold because the photo has a warm/super bright filter added to it - what's irritating, is that the "proof" is another photo of the dress, and the colors don't look the same as the original picture either. It sorta feels like the dress maker is pulling a fast one to get attention and boost sales.
Has nothing to do with a filter, or whatever, if that was the case, everybody would be seeing one color set, has nothing to do with wether you have a lcd, plasma, led, or crt screen. Me and someone else looked at the pic on my phone, saw two different color schemes, on my lcd screened phone, no photo filter can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,468,668 times
I think this is a hoax

Old 03-01-2015, 04:28 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,522,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I think this is a hoax

I do too. Has anyone actually isolated the colors, and removed the context?

Wouldn't that make TOO much sense?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:34 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,522,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
When I bring it into my photo editor and darken the entire photo to where it was originally, it does come out blue and black, but since it was lightened so much it made it more of a periwinkle and brass.
So:

1. the darker photo (the original) actually looks like a blue/black dress.

2. The lightened version of the photo looks white and gold.

so basically America is arguing over the difference between two photos?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,337,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I think this is a hoax
I thought it was a hoax too, but then I saw the color change while looking at it. I always saw it as blue/black. Then I looked away and it turned white/gold. As I was looking at it, it started to turn blue/black.

My husband always sees white/gold.

It's not a trick photograph. It's your brain compensating for the way the light hits the dress.

If you look at a white shirt in shadow, it takes on a bluish grey tint. You still perceive it as white.
The blue dress appears to be in shadow, thus some people filter out the "shadow" and see white/gold.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,038,282 times
How is it a hoax if two people looking at the same monitor or screen at the same time see different colors?

Old 03-01-2015, 01:56 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,763,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
So:

1. the darker photo (the original) actually looks like a blue/black dress.

2. The lightened version of the photo looks white and gold.

so basically America is arguing over the difference between two photos?
It probably has more to do with what the camera "thinks" it is looking at so it is making a correction with white balance. It is why snow pictures taken on auto will come out gray and not white. The photo was taken under fluorescent lighting which cools the colors so so the camera may have added yellow to warm it up and lightened it a lot because there was too much black. It tried to neutralize the black towards grey, like it changes white to grey in snow pictures. Notice the background is really washed out. The metering system is center-weighted so it doesn't read that part of the picture.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,885,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How is it a hoax if two people looking at the same monitor or screen at the same time see different colors?
Yep, it's not a hoax. It has been explained what is going on. Also, as others have pointed out numerous times, even two people looking at the exact same image on the same screen are seeing it differently. Don't know where people are getting the idea it's a hoax.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,124,876 times
I see gold and white, only gold and white and I've seen this picture about ten times since and never once did it appear blue and black. I'm not color blind, but I do have astigmatism.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,721,055 times
This has nothing to do with the dress, and everything to do with the picture of the dress.

The first picture I saw was white and gold. On the news, they showed that white and gold pic alongside one of (clearly) a dark blue and black dress. Two entirely different pictures. On yet another morning show, the "first" picture appeared to be a very light periwinkle blue, but still not the dark blue of the original dress.

A photographer on the news put it simply: it had to do with the exposure of the picture. I'm sure all of us with no visual impairment would have gotten the color right had we seen the dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty